Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Need new sub (home theater)

Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
Need new sub (home theater)

I had a Infinity tss-1100 12" sub but the circut board blew on me so now i need a new sub. Whats a good comparable sub in the $250-$400 range. It can be 10" or 12".
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty funny that I posted pretty much this same exact thing earlier today!

I like HSU, Elemental Designs, and Aperion subs. I know that ED is known for its subs, so if you're not piecing together a whole system, that might be the place to start. My roommate is an ED fanboy (refuses to like anything else) so I've heard their stuff before. I think it tends to try to be "loud" and "manly" instead of necessarily accurate, but that's just me. Like I said, he loves it.

I have the Aperion Bravus 8D right now, which is 2 8" drivers and is rated at 200 watts. It cost me $400, but was well worth it. It's in a 24x17 room, and trust me, it's plenty of sub. I have it at 40% power right now, and at that level it can rattle a drink off the end table at the right volume. It's also extremely clean and tight. The new Apeiron is the Bravus II 8D, which gives you a 3rd 8 inch, down-firing woofer in addition to the 2 side-firing woofers that I have. It also bumps power to 300 watts. It's $500.

A couple quick notes about Aperion - you get a 3 year warranty on the amp and a 10 year warranty on the sub, and if you don't like it you can return it in 30 days, with them paying for shipping both ways. Also, I've never seen better cabinetry in a speaker or sub. I got the cherry finish and it's stunning, but it also comes in black. Just do a search on them, and every review will mention how well-built and beautiful these speakers are. I love mine, but I know there plenty other excellent speaker and subwoofer companies!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
been using an old 12" kicker for my setup for a couple years now, sounds good and shakes almost every wall in my house! its not the most sophisticated setup, but it sounds good to me! lol
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Sproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud of
Sproulesxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
http://axiomaudio.com/subwoofers.html
I have an EP600 and it F***ing pounds. Look into the smaller ones for your needs
Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
LOL I have no doubt that subwoofer destroys everything in it's path. It damn well should for $1800! They only make 1 sub in his price range, and it's 125 watt single 8 inch. Probably adequate, but I doubt he will like it.

Hell of a sub you have though. Geeze. Do you have that thing in an ampitheater?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Eman is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Eman's Tacoma Gallery
Emotiva has there sub 10 on sale for $249 free shipping. www.emotiva.com
Old 12-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for something unique or custom to fit the bill I can certainly help you out. I operate StereoClarity.com and do custom designs.

You really need to define a few things first though. Were you satisfied with your old sub before it blew up; was it adequate? Second, will this be mainly for music or home theater?

I really enjoy doing custom subwoofer designs because it's an area where you can get really creative. Build it into an end table for a couch or go stealth with it behind or under something.

Here are a few that I've built over the years just for fun

A 13Ov2 subwoofer in a ported box on 550watts.

Take a look in the corner....yep, that's a cylindrical subwoofer. Single 12 ported with a 500watt amp.

For a little more elegant sound, a single 12" woofer in a sealed enclosure with solid copper speaker leads and a window.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
If you're looking for something unique or custom to fit the bill I can certainly help you out. I operate StereoClarity.com and do custom designs.

You really need to define a few things first though. Were you satisfied with your old sub before it blew up; was it adequate? Second, will this be mainly for music or home theater?

I really enjoy doing custom subwoofer designs because it's an area where you can get really creative. Build it into an end table for a couch or go stealth with it behind or under something.

For a little more elegant sound, a single 12" woofer in a sealed enclosure with solid copper speaker leads and a window.
I mean if you could do a 12 inch with a simple but nice setting that would be nice for $300-$400 that would be awesome, maybe if u showed me a sketch of something, or osme other subs that u have built that would be like I asked.......
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #9

Here's a pic of the sub i have(broken), I liked the sound of it alot and i think it looks pretty sexy, damn thing just had to break
Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

this is the circut board that blow up, it looks unrepairable, but is there any chance of it being repairable?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you have it repaired, unless you just are looking to buy something else.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post

this is the circut board that blow up, it looks unrepairable, but is there any chance of it being repairable?

You beat me to post, someone can fix it. On another note, I'm rocking a new J&M Labs/Focal system tied to a Harman Kardon amp that I'm very pleased with.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Why don't you have it repaired, unless you just are looking to buy something else.
Alright where would i get something like this repaired?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #14

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright where would i get something like this repaired?
I see your in Brentwood, right outside of Nashville right? I know a guy in Huntsville Alabama that does stuff like this, so, there has GOT to be a place in Music City. My guy runs a custom install home theatre business, so start looking there, or just a electronics repair place, it's there somewhere.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
I see your in Brentwood, right outside of Nashville right? I know a guy in Huntsville Alabama that does stuff like this, so, there has GOT to be a place in Music City. My guy runs a custom install home theatre business, so start looking there, or just a electronics repair place, it's there somewhere.
Yeah below Nashville, alright thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I mean if you could do a 12 inch with a simple but nice setting that would be nice for $300-$400 that would be awesome, maybe if u showed me a sketch of something, or osme other subs that u have built that would be like I asked.......
Sure man, for $400 we could build a sub that would kick your old one in the face. A single ported 10" on a 300watt plate amp would do very well for home theater as long as it's in the right box.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
I've always liked Cerwin Vega.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post

Here are a few that I've built over the years just for fun

A 13Ov2 subwoofer in a ported box on 550watts.

Take a look in the corner....yep, that's a cylindrical subwoofer. Single 12 ported with a 500watt amp.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Bose wave cannon!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #20
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Bose wave cannon!!!