1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Watches: Buy a fancy one, or stick with the Timex?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 747, Dec 6, 2010.

?

Drop coin |or| It's just a watch.

Poll closed Jan 5, 2011.
  1. Drop coin.

40 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. It's just a watch...who cares?

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    I'm seriously considering dropping some coin on a swiss made automatic watch.

In the past, I've resisted the temptation: My Citizen Eco-Drive and Timex digital always indicate the time; and, I couldn't ever get past the "why do I need anything fancier" part of it.

Well, now I have a nice watch in my sights that's the right price (below $500), and sharp looking (imo). But, it tells the time like my much less expensive watches.

A poll is above. And to those of you who have dropped +$400 on a watch, my questions are as follows:

1. Did you get buyer's remorse later?

2. Was it worth it?

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    I went on a watch spree about 6 months ago I bought 3 citizens. Love em! well worth it and I wear them everywhere. Got them brand new on ebay and they are real and in mint condition. Paid 1/3 of retail cost of the watches.

My first Citizen I bought because It matched my truck :taco:

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    The only reason to buy an expensive watch is to prove you can.

4. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nothing wrong with a fahncy watch...If you got the cash, go for it.

5. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Who are you going to impress? Other people with more money than sense?

Even when I'm making six figures I can tell the time with a Timex Expedition as well as with a Rolex.

6. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    why do you need a watch, you see the time on your phone

7. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's funny- Some folks out there might say the same thing about having a cap on a truck or using it for the stuff that some folks around here do.

I use my watch (which has a circular slide rule on it) in the cockpit-where I can't use my phone. Lots of folks work in areas/buildings where phones aren't allowed.

That said- I've got both. I got a Citizen EcoDrive special edition when I graduated flight school. I wear it for a lot of stuff including flying. But I also have a Timex Expedition that I throw on for duty days or long flights-Fits better with my drysuit too.

8. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Not permitted where I work.

9. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Bought a Movado a few years back. Thought I really wanted a nice classy watch. Wore it a couple times and now it sits in a safe cause I only wear it on special occasions. Don't really think it was worth the $1,700.00 I paid for it since it only tells time and time is not my friend anymore ;) Plus I always carry a phone so I have the time.....

10. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    I have fancy watches and cheapo watches, just depends on what you like. I love my Tissot tanker watch(my fav), i have a 2500 Movado that my wife won't let me where. I love the luminox that i use daily. I have about 15 watches and love them all, no regrets.

11. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm not quite sure the analogy is the same. I have a truck because Civics are notoriously poor at wheeling.

If inexpensive watches told shitty time (as was the case before the advent of digital), I would understand it. There's a reason well crafted pocket watches used to be extremely expensive.

Fancy watches are man jewelry. If that's what you're going for, fine...it does serve its purpose in some class-warrior professions (Lawyer, Physician, Doucehbag Banker, etc.). But if you just want a timepiece that's accurate, buy a $10 wal-mart special...or use your phone :)

12. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    NamBam

NamBam Member

Member:
    Birmingham, Al
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBSC SSM Off-Road
    OME 887 on Bilistein 5100s. SPC UCA. Revtec Diff drop & OME Driveshaft spacer. AAL rears. SCS F5 16x8 w/ Nitto Ridge Grapplers LT285/75R16.
    Besides a wedding band the only piece of jewelry you're gonna have is a watch, so invest in a watch you will have for 10+ years. Get a nice tag heuer, or something of that nature. It shouldn't be anything flashy, just a nice presentable watch. Stainless steel or leather.

13. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    NOT MY POINT OF VIEW-But "Cars are made to go from point A to point B." You spend more on your truck because it's your hobby/something you enjoy. Much like a prius driver isn't going to get you modding the truck to run around the woods...You might not get why having a nicer watch is worth it...but to you- it's not.

I agree- If all you want is accurate time get a cheap watch and reset it fairly often. Mine- I don't have to reset it ever cause it is radio updated...I can use the slide calc bezel and functions for my job. I can't just use my phone all the time. It's totally worth it to me. To a point...The diamond encrusted diamond watches fall in the "just because" category...

14. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    TRD4x4JIM

TRD4x4JIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIM
    Hartland U S A
    Vehicle:
    2010 toyota tacoma TRD 4X4 OFFROAD
    4.0L V6 DOHC 24V 236hp 5 Speed Auto trans Part Time 4x4 2 Speed Transfer case Auto LSD, 16" TRD wheels, VSC TRAC TPMS, TRD OFF-ROAD EXTRA VALUE PACKAGE.... OFF-ROAD TUNED Suspension, Bilstein Shocks... Locking Differential.. VSC + ATRAC , HAC, DAC, SKID PLATES TOW HOOKS POWER INVERTER,FOG LAMPS , WINDOW TINT, RUNNING BOARDS ROOF RACK DOOR SILL PROTECTORS hot plug for my cell phone... A R E camper shell
    This is what i use it is a good all around

[​IMG]Technical Specs
    [​IMG]Larger View[​IMG]

MODELDESCRIPTIONPRICEPAG240-1
    [​IMG]
    Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240-1, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. Black resin band watch with neutral digital face.

• Tough Solar Power
    • Triple Sensor (Altimeter/Barometer, Thermometer, Digital Compass)
    • Sunrise & Sunset Data
    • World Time (48 cities)
    $ 250.00PAG240B-2
    [​IMG]
    Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240B-2, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. Black/blue resin/cloth band watch with neutral digital face.

• Tough Solar Power
    • Sunrise & Sunset Data
    • World Time (48 cities)
    $ 250.00PAG240T-7
    [​IMG]
    Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240T-7, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. Titanium band watch with neutral digital face.

• Tough Solar Power
    • Sunrise & Sunset Data
    • World Time (48 cities)
    $ 300.00
    At A Glance

Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. The new PAG240 has all the same great Triple Sensor functionality you’ve come to love in its predecessor, but now it’s equipped with Self-Charging, Tough Solar Power, employs more functional exterior case design, has a host of additional features such as Sunrise Sunset Data, Countdown Timer and 48-city World Time.

• Tough Solar Power
    • Sunrise & Sunset Data
    • World Time (48 cities)

Technical Specs

• Tough Solar Power
    • Digital Compass
      Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
      Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
      Measuring unit: 1 degree
    • Altimeter
      Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
      Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
      Auto memory measurements
      Altimeter Memory
      Manual memory measurements (up to 25 records, each including altitude, date, time)
      Auto memory measurements (High altitude, Low altitude memory, Total ascent, Total descent)
      Others: Reference altitude setting, Altitude graph, Altitude differential
    • Barometer
      Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
      Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
      Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
      Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
    • Thermometer
      Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
      Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
      Sunrise/Sunset Data
      Displays sunrise time and sunset time for a specific date, Daylight pointers
    • 100M Water Resistant
    • Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
    • Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
    • Duplex LCD
    • World Time
    • 31 times zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
    • 5 Daily Alarms
    • Hourly Time Signal
    • 1/100 second stopwatch
      Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
      Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
    • Full Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    • Countdown Timer
      Measuring unit: 1 second
      Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
    • 12/24 Hour Formats
    • Button operation tone on/off
    • Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
    • Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
    • Battery Power Indicator
    • Power Saving Function
    • Approx. battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
    • Module 3246
    Size of case/total weight
    PAG240 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm / 65.4g
    PAG240B 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm / 64.2g
    PAG240T 57.3 X 50.9 X 15.3mm / 111.4g

15. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    kraxtra

kraxtra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenwood
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad
    K&N CAI, Dynomax Super Turbo Catback, Westin Step, ARE LoPro tnneau, debagded
    Get the best of both worlds. I got this Technoluxury watch (a Timex subsidiary) and I get compliments all the time.

0400627137569R_396x528.jpg

16. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    tyson127

tyson127 Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner
    I'm a bit of a watch guy but its all about utility watches with me anyways. But honestly 90pct of the time I end up wearing a special edition (khaki) Casio Mudman. I can put it on and literally never think about getting it caked in mud/blood/crud, can slam it into anything, etc and it won't even stutter. I recently got a tawatec because I've never had a tritium tube watch, its so so. Mostly a styling clash with me.

17. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    tyson127

tyson127 Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner
    I'm a bit of a watch guy but its all about utility watches with me anyways. But honestly 90pct of the time I end up wearing a special edition (khaki) Casio Mudman. I can put it on and literally never think about getting it caked in mud/blood/crud, can slam it into anything, etc and it won't even stutter. I recently got a tawatec because I've never had a tritium tube watch, its so so. Mostly a styling clash with me.

18. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Let's make sure we're on the same page...when I say "fancy watch" I mean a 4-digit pricetag or higher. Are we talking about the same thing?

Some watches are really multi-tools disguised as watches and warrant their higher pricetag...

19. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I wouldn't consider $500 too much to spend on a nice watch since the sky is the limit with high end watches. If you are comfortable with spending that amount of money on a watch, then I say go for it.

20. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    FWIW, I'm talking about a classic pilot's watch...it indicates time, and has a 4th hand for zulu time....that's it.

[EDIT: BTW, it's not on Amazon, et al. It's at a jewelry store; used, but flawless, in my estimation.]

Products Discussed in

To Top