Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Watches: Buy a fancy one, or stick with the Timex?

View Poll Results: Drop coin |or| It's just a watch.
Drop coin. 40 67.80%
It's just a watch...who cares? 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Watches: Buy a fancy one, or stick with the Timex?

I'm seriously considering dropping some coin on a swiss made automatic watch.

In the past, I've resisted the temptation: My Citizen Eco-Drive and Timex digital always indicate the time; and, I couldn't ever get past the "why do I need anything fancier" part of it.

Well, now I have a nice watch in my sights that's the right price (below $500), and sharp looking (imo). But, it tells the time like my much less expensive watches.

A poll is above. And to those of you who have dropped +$400 on a watch, my questions are as follows:

1. Did you get buyer's remorse later?

2. Was it worth it?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.
billas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant future

Name: Joel
billas333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to billas333
I went on a watch spree about 6 months ago I bought 3 citizens. Love em! well worth it and I wear them everywhere. Got them brand new on ebay and they are real and in mint condition. Paid 1/3 of retail cost of the watches.

My first Citizen I bought because It matched my truck

Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason to buy an expensive watch is to prove you can.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
The_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The_Dude's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing wrong with a fahncy watch...If you got the cash, go for it.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
The only reason to buy an expensive watch is to prove you can.
Who are you going to impress? Other people with more money than sense?

Even when I'm making six figures I can tell the time with a Timex Expedition as well as with a Rolex.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
why do you need a watch, you see the time on your phone
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonback View Post
Who are you going to impress? Other people with more money than sense?

Even when I'm making six figures I can tell the time with a Timex Expedition as well as with a Rolex.
It's funny- Some folks out there might say the same thing about having a cap on a truck or using it for the stuff that some folks around here do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
I use my watch (which has a circular slide rule on it) in the cockpit-where I can't use my phone. Lots of folks work in areas/buildings where phones aren't allowed.

That said- I've got both. I got a Citizen EcoDrive special edition when I graduated flight school. I wear it for a lot of stuff including flying. But I also have a Timex Expedition that I throw on for duty days or long flights-Fits better with my drysuit too.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
Not permitted where I work.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a Movado a few years back. Thought I really wanted a nice classy watch. Wore it a couple times and now it sits in a safe cause I only wear it on special occasions. Don't really think it was worth the $1,700.00 I paid for it since it only tells time and time is not my friend anymore Plus I always carry a phone so I have the time.....
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
I have fancy watches and cheapo watches, just depends on what you like. I love my Tissot tanker watch(my fav), i have a 2500 Movado that my wife won't let me where. I love the luminox that i use daily. I have about 15 watches and love them all, no regrets.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
It's funny- Some folks out there might say the same thing about having a cap on a truck or using it for the stuff that some folks around here do.
I'm not quite sure the analogy is the same. I have a truck because Civics are notoriously poor at wheeling.

If inexpensive watches told shitty time (as was the case before the advent of digital), I would understand it. There's a reason well crafted pocket watches used to be extremely expensive.

Fancy watches are man jewelry. If that's what you're going for, fine...it does serve its purpose in some class-warrior professions (Lawyer, Physician, Doucehbag Banker, etc.). But if you just want a timepiece that's accurate, buy a $10 wal-mart special...or use your phone
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
NamBam has a spectacular aura aboutNamBam has a spectacular aura about

NamBam's Tacoma Gallery
Besides a wedding band the only piece of jewelry you're gonna have is a watch, so invest in a watch you will have for 10+ years. Get a nice tag heuer, or something of that nature. It shouldn't be anything flashy, just a nice presentable watch. Stainless steel or leather.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I'm not quite sure the analogy is the same. I have a truck because Civics are notoriously poor at wheeling.

If inexpensive watches told shitty time (as was the case before the advent of digital), I would understand it. There's a reason well crafted pocket watches used to be extremely expensive.

Fancy watches are man jewelry. If that's what you're going for, fine...it does serve its purpose in some class-warrior professions (Lawyer, Physician, Doucehbag Banker, etc.). But if you just want a timepiece that's accurate, buy a $10 wal-mart special...or use your phone
NOT MY POINT OF VIEW-But "Cars are made to go from point A to point B." You spend more on your truck because it's your hobby/something you enjoy. Much like a prius driver isn't going to get you modding the truck to run around the woods...You might not get why having a nicer watch is worth it...but to you- it's not.

I agree- If all you want is accurate time get a cheap watch and reset it fairly often. Mine- I don't have to reset it ever cause it is radio updated...I can use the slide calc bezel and functions for my job. I can't just use my phone all the time. It's totally worth it to me. To a point...The diamond encrusted diamond watches fall in the "just because" category...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
TRD4x4JIM has a spectacular aura aboutTRD4x4JIM has a spectacular aura about

Navy: 1975- 1985 Engineering  PO2
Name: JIM
TRD4x4JIM's Tacoma Gallery
This is what i use it is a good all around

Technical Specs
Larger View

MODELDESCRIPTIONPRICEPAG240-1
Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240-1, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. Black resin band watch with neutral digital face.
  • Tough Solar Power
  • Triple Sensor (Altimeter/Barometer, Thermometer, Digital Compass)
  • Sunrise & Sunset Data
  • World Time (48 cities)
$ 250.00PAG240B-2
Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240B-2, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. Black/blue resin/cloth band watch with neutral digital face.
  • Tough Solar Power
  • Sunrise & Sunset Data
  • World Time (48 cities)
$ 250.00PAG240T-7
Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240T-7, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. Titanium band watch with neutral digital face.
  • Tough Solar Power
  • Sunrise & Sunset Data
  • World Time (48 cities)
$ 300.00
At A Glance

Constantly evolving and improving the Pathfinder lineup, Casio introduces the PAG240, a welcome upgrade to the legendary PAG40. The new PAG240 has all the same great Triple Sensor functionality youíve come to love in its predecessor, but now itís equipped with Self-Charging, Tough Solar Power, employs more functional exterior case design, has a host of additional features such as Sunrise Sunset Data, Countdown Timer and 48-city World Time.
  • Tough Solar Power
  • Sunrise & Sunset Data
  • World Time (48 cities)

Technical Specs

• Tough Solar Power
  • Digital Compass
    Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
    Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
    Measuring unit: 1 degree
  • Altimeter
    Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
    Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
    Auto memory measurements
    Altimeter Memory
    Manual memory measurements (up to 25 records, each including altitude, date, time)
    Auto memory measurements (High altitude, Low altitude memory, Total ascent, Total descent)
    Others: Reference altitude setting, Altitude graph, Altitude differential
  • Barometer
    Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
    Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
    Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
    Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
  • Thermometer
    Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
    Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
    Sunrise/Sunset Data
    Displays sunrise time and sunset time for a specific date, Daylight pointers
  • 100M Water Resistant
  • Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
  • Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
  • Duplex LCD
  • World Time
  • 31 times zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
  • 5 Daily Alarms
  • Hourly Time Signal
  • 1/100 second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
  • Full Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
  • Countdown Timer
    Measuring unit: 1 second
    Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
  • 12/24 Hour Formats
  • Button operation tone on/off
  • Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
  • Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
  • Battery Power Indicator
  • Power Saving Function
  • Approx. battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
  • Module 3246
Size of case/total weight
PAG240 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm / 65.4g
PAG240B 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm / 64.2g
PAG240T 57.3 X 50.9 X 15.3mm / 111.4g
Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
kraxtra is on a distinguished road

Air Force: POL
Name: Kenwood
kraxtra's Tacoma Gallery
Get the best of both worlds. I got this Technoluxury watch (a Timex subsidiary) and I get compliments all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Watches: Buy a fancy one, or stick with the Timex?-0400627137569r_396x528.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
tyson127 is on a distinguished road

tyson127's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a bit of a watch guy but its all about utility watches with me anyways. But honestly 90pct of the time I end up wearing a special edition (khaki) Casio Mudman. I can put it on and literally never think about getting it caked in mud/blood/crud, can slam it into anything, etc and it won't even stutter. I recently got a tawatec because I've never had a tritium tube watch, its so so. Mostly a styling clash with me.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
tyson127 is on a distinguished road

tyson127's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a bit of a watch guy but its all about utility watches with me anyways. But honestly 90pct of the time I end up wearing a special edition (khaki) Casio Mudman. I can put it on and literally never think about getting it caked in mud/blood/crud, can slam it into anything, etc and it won't even stutter. I recently got a tawatec because I've never had a tritium tube watch, its so so. Mostly a styling clash with me.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
NOT MY POINT OF VIEW-But "Cars are made to go from point A to point B." You spend more on your truck because it's your hobby/something you enjoy. Much like a prius driver isn't going to get you modding the truck to run around the woods...You might not get why having a nicer watch is worth it...but to you- it's not.

I agree- If all you want is accurate time get a cheap watch and reset it fairly often. Mine- I don't have to reset it ever cause it is radio updated...I can use the slide calc bezel and functions for my job. I can't just use my phone all the time. It's totally worth it to me. To a point...The diamond encrusted diamond watches fall in the "just because" category...

Let's make sure we're on the same page...when I say "fancy watch" I mean a 4-digit pricetag or higher. Are we talking about the same thing?

Some watches are really multi-tools disguised as watches and warrant their higher pricetag...
Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
function > form

747's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, I'm talking about a classic pilot's watch...it indicates time, and has a 4th hand for zulu time....that's it.

[EDIT: BTW, it's not on amazon, et al. It's at a jewelry store; used, but flawless, in my estimation.]