Notices

I HATE my job :(

Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
I HATE my job :(

but feel stuck... I guess cause of the way things are right now, its not exactly the right time to be hunting for a new job or is it?

Anyone have ideas on what/where some good opportunities may be.. like in a certain profession/field etc? For the longest I kept telling myself the advantages here made it worth while more then the BS to stay but I dont even care anymore.

Not sure how much longer I can take it here
Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Join the Military. Your choice, all are great. Air Force, Navy, Marines and Army. Oh, and the Coast Guard. And they come with great benefits. They have reserve componants of each service also!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Bar Tender!

In any city there is a bar that is busy all weekend every weekend. I got a new job about four months ago but before that i was a bar tender. You can rack up the cash bar tending, its fun as hell and you meet hundreds of new people.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to mention I support my wife and 4 month old for the most part, my wifes job does ok, doesnt offer insurance but the fact shes alowed to take the baby to work with her rather then putting her in a daycare is what makes it all work.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Could you supply some more info. What other training/education do you have, your age, etc.? I agree with MM, the military is always something to consider.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Im 28, have an associates of applied science degree, none of my job history helps me really, majority was simple customer service jobs while i was in school.
I had a decent tenure at a manufacturing facility operating machinery in a production type environment after i got my degree but my current job was supposed to be a crutch while we had gone thru some family hardships when my wife was diagnosed with cancer in 2005.
Tried to look into advancing here 2 yrs ago but theres no where for me to grow unless I went into Accounting of some sort, but thats besides the point, I just want out.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I hate my job too. I need to get my resume updated and look for something better. My job pays the bills but i'm bored to death, hence why i'm on here so often!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
Join the Military. Your choice, all are great. Air Force, Navy, Marines and Army. Oh, and the Coast Guard. And they come with great benefits. They have reserve componants of each service also!!!

x3
Texas has huge Guard contingent that offers fulltime opportunities as well as its part time commitment. All kinds of jobs fields (accounting, auditing, contract & procurement, IT, plus the more combat focused assignments of course). You can always start as a temp tech or work ADSW (Active Duty Special Work). MM is right on about the benies. OR....find a fed job or work for a fed contractor ..... not sure what agencies are in your proximity.

Sorry its tough right now, keep your head up and do the footwork, you'll bounce back Anthony. Hang in there!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Look into Law Enforcement. Everyday is different, Full benefits, you get a free car/gas, and you only work 1/2 the year. That gives you plenty of time to spend with your family and truck.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Im 28, have an associates of applied science degree, none of my job history helps me really, majority was simple customer service jobs while i was in school.
I had a decent tenure at a manufacturing facility operating machinery in a production type environment after i got my degree but my current job was supposed to be a crutch while we had gone thru some family hardships when my wife was diagnosed with cancer in 2005.
Tried to look into advancing here 2 yrs ago but theres no where for me to grow unless I went into Accounting of some sort, but thats besides the point, I just want out.
Is continuing in school a viable option? A 4-year degree will open up a lot of opportunities, especially in a science field, since your degree is already geared that way. I started my college education late, completed my computer science degree at 40 years old, and have since more than doubled my annual salary (about 5 years after graduating). It's hard to do with a family, I know, but the payoff is fantastic.

You might check on a federal openings (www.opm.gov). The pay is usually a little less than the private sector, but all federal employees are hourly paid so the difference usually works out. I know guys that get a lot more money than I do but they also work a lot more for their salary (60-70 hrs a week). Even though I get paid well, if I work over 40, I get overtime pay.

As stated above, law enforcement is a good option too if you have the right temperment for it. You get paid while going through the academy and you can usually retire after 20-25 years with full pay.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
rangejeep is on a distinguished road

rangejeep's Tacoma Gallery
to make $50k more a year go into a trade; any trade. Because of business people (including myself) there is a shortage of trades. I went to school to be an GM Auto mechanic before Computer school and I could always find a job working on cars. If car fixing isn't your thing then look into AC work or electrical. An electrican can make over $50k up to $150k if you have the right job. Even a plummer makes good money. Good luck!!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the helpful replies... some very good points. I feel that I just had to vent I guess. I think a trade of some sort is what Im looking at, my father mentioned a aircraft type training program near the airport that I think im going to take a good look at.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What exactly are you discusted with?

No details please ...but what I mean is...

Are you discusted with co-workers? Work environment? Work process? Wages? Work schedule? Benefits? Business decisions? Your boss? Or other? Location? Department?

Does it pay well to support you & your wife?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
- Go over to Kelly USA (old Kelly AFB) and find a job with Boeing. They do depot work on the C-17 aircraft. I'm sure ther are more than just wrench turner positions avialable if thats not what your into.

- Look on usajobs.gov and see if there are any civilian positions being hired at Lackland AFB.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
Senior Citizen
Oscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of light

Oscar 319's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 View Post
Look into Law Enforcement. Everyday is different, Full benefits, you get a free car/gas, and you only work 1/2 the year. That gives you plenty of time to spend with your family and truck.
That's my take too. If you are under 21 (?) I say the military. Over 21, living in Texas, LEO oppertunities should be everywhere if you're a clean-one-owner. Border Patrol comes to mind. Corrections is a blast. And a lowly street cop ( me) is always a possibility. There are cool cops (I think I am cool, and that's all that counts ). LEO jobs have (usually) great benefits and retirement. I am 33 and eligable to retire at 41 (20 years). I love my job.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Sorry to hear about your wife.

Try
Monster Jobs.com
http://promotions.monster.com/keywor...rch/?WT.srch=1

You never know, that perfect job might be waiting for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

join the railroad, choo chooo

http://www.unionpacific.jobs/careers...EQN_NBR=037842
Old 08-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
mudduck will become famous soon enough

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
be a firefighter. my brother is a hosedragger and he has it made. you only work 10 days a month, and you get to work out and/or sleep whenever you want. plus all of the ping pong, cornhole, and chili you can handle! its a no brainer.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What exactly are you discusted with?

No details please ...but what I mean is...

Are you discusted with co-workers? Work environment? Work process? Wages? Work schedule? Benefits? Business decisions? Your boss? Or other? Location? Department?

Does it pay well to support you & your wife?
All the above cept for beneifts & schedule which even that can be f'd up at times.

The actual owner is a longtime family friend... its just the people that run it that ruin it.
Pay is ok... it pays the bills, but not on my salary alone. i cant raelly bitch about that... im not really busy enough to demand to be paid more as i sit on the computer during downtime which lately has been 4 hours out of an 8 hour day.
Like I said... i inquired about moving up but was basically told no. We just relocated... it went from a 20-25 mile round trip commute to 70 miles round trip.
Its just the kinda thing where after someones been there for a few months and get they get comfortable, all the sudden they think theyre someone... "too many chiefs and not enough indians" suits it perfectly.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say become a RN because there's call for it in every state, every shift and can work many different types of jobs. guy jobs include corrections nursing, ER, trauma, etc.

BUT, i hate my job as well as an RN. ha ha ha. The grass is always greener.