1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

California tenant laws/legal advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by theredofshaw, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    So, I have a landlord that is refusing to make repairs on my apartment. They claim they are not responsible for repairing weatherstripping on my front door or fixing the 1inch gap underneath the door leading to the garage. Whenever it gets chilly here I am unable to run my heater or the A/C in the summer because it just blows right out through those gaps. I have brought this issue to the attention to my landlord several times (sending pictures as well) during the last couple months and nothing is getting done.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can't move because I am locked into a lease, don't want to NOT pay my rent because I am not trying to get evicted. I believe this is a health issue and I'm almost positive that landlords are supposed to ensure the property is suitable for living. When it has been 50*, it has been equally as cold indoors.

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    from what i know, you can withhold rent till the issues are fixed. i dont know what your contract consists of, but it sounds fishy to me. ill ask my girl (she works at a lwayers office) but you can find local lawyers who specialize in that type of stuff here http://www.handelonthelaw.com/home/default.aspx best of luck, keep us posted.

3. Jan 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    KCin HBCA

KCin HBCA 2020 TRD Sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dbl Cab TRD Sport 4x4
  4. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

I live in Ohio, ... every state has different laws. I would'nt say with-holding rent is legal; BUT, in Ohio, a tenant can take the evidence like pictures, to the state (this is not the courts) and continue to "pay the state". Your still paying your rent and can not be convitect for not paying because you are, BUT the state will hold all rent moneys until the problems are fixed, then the state will release all your rent money to the landlord.

also, here's an idea...if you think these are health issues...call the EPA.

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    You can withhold the rent but you have to hold it in escrow meaning you need to prove you have the money to pay but you are not. You need to notify them in writing that you are doing it and why.

6. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    I'm sure i could as well, but that's not the point. If I were to do that, I would want to short them the amount for materials when I pay rent, but not sure if that is legal.

7. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    BCTacoma2010

BCTacoma2010 Michigan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Southwest Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Platinum F150
    I have to agree with Phantom. Is it really worth all of the other headaches for something so trivial.

I used to live in an apartment that didn't have a door sweep and the air from the hall always smelled like smoke from the other apartments. It took a $5 item from Lowe's to fix the issue.

8. Jan 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    I would just fix it myself...not worth the trouble. I'd save pissing him off for something bigger.

9. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Save legal actions in case something more major happens. I would call and say that you are going to fix it yourself and just ask if you can take it off the rent. Most landlords are ok with that. If they aren't it is still a trivial amount of money.

10. Jan 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
  11. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I am a landlord, I cant believe that this landlord is not taking the proper steps measures to correct this small issue. Its called general maintenance, and he could write the expense off come tax time.

I usually fix all issues with 24hrs of claim. Exception, for loss of heat which is immediate.

Products Discussed in

To Top