1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Machine suggestions for roots in sewer line

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by glennv, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    glennv

glennv [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get roots about once a year between the basement clean-out and the front yard trap. They are breaking through about 10-15 ft from the basement clean-out so it's not a long stretch. I was thinking about getting an electric drain auger but was wondering if it's worth the trouble. From what I've read I'll need a min of 1/2 snake. It's a 4" line. Some say they get by with a 3/8". Could i get by with a 3/8 since I'm only running the line less than 20 feet? I was thinking of running the blade through three times a year before the roots cause a clog.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Are the sub $500 machines not worth the BS?

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    The long term solution would be to get someone to resleeve the pipe or dig the pipe up and replace it.

Why not rent one instead of buying it?

I know someone who has them same problem, she gets a plumber to do it for her twice a year. She said its not that expensive.

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    MY_SUV

MY_SUV Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    I had to hire someone to clean out my pipes from root invasion about once a year. Finally the guy told me, "if you dump a cup of rock salt in your toilet every flush in the spring, you will never have this trouble again."

So, in the Spring, I bought a small bag of rock salt like you would use to make home made ice cream and dumped a cup or so in every flush until the bag of salt was used up. Lived in that house another three years with never a problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top