1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ronny97, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jan 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    I'm surprised this thread isn't more popular.

God I love my gym. Went to Wyoming for 2 weeks for the holidays. Felt lazy not training. Get back and we had BJJ class at 7:00 AM on the 1st! I was the only student who showed. Then Judo at 7PM... good day.

Rolled for 3.5 hours Friday and then Judo again yesterday morning. I was absolutely beat after that.

2. Jan 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    I miss bjj. Been out for 2 years. Really need to join back up. Don't miss being smothered by some fat guy who has skills and you cannot move. Just buried hard underneath him, trapped like a rat..ehhh.. maybe just go back to judo haha

3. Jan 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    Dark_Taco

Dark_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    Stock
    No BJJ. I actually don't know much about it, but.....I've been wrestling and coaching for the past 16 years. From what I have observed watching UFC et cetera the men with BJJ and wrestling backgrounds seem to do very well.

4. Jan 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    Never studied BJJ but trained in traditional Japanese Ju-jutsu as well as Aiki-jutsu, Iai-jitsu and Ken-jutsu. (the last 2 were my favorite)

5. Jan 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    there's an American Kickboxing Academy in my city, they've train a lot of BJJ
    i was all but signed up, they let me train with them once for free to make sure i knew what i was getting into... was so happy
    THEN... my work schedule got changed, and i couldn't make the gym hours; and have never been able to since
    that one feeler day was all i ever got

bummer

6. Jan 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    TuffRuffDangerous

TuffRuffDangerous Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    Salex glovebox/console organizers, Philips H4 MotoVision headlight bulbs, Optilux H10 Extreme Yellow XY foglight bulbs, csjumper2003 LED domelight & license plate bulbs
    I quit 2 years ago. Made it up to white belt with 2 stripes. I only trained for a little under a year. I'm 5'11" about 235lbs. I preferred rolling against guys my size or heavier. I learned never to underestimate the small, skinny or lean guys. They move faster, have more stamina, and some of those tall lanky ones have great flexibility.

My cousin's son was still a minor when I rolled against him. I had more than 100lbs on him but he could lift me up with his legs like it was nothing. I was outclassed big time. I know for a fact if it came down to it he could take my life with his bare hands. He is a world champ so I wasn't surprised, just thought I could at least hold my own for more than a minute.

Another fellow white belt in my class was a big 14 year old kid, about 5'8" and 215lbs. He was my equal. I'd beat him, or sometimes he'd beat me. Nevertheless I was humbled to experience getting beat by a kid.

7. Jan 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels

Products Discussed in

To Top