Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Light Duty Diesels are finally coming...

Old 08-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Post Light Duty Diesels are finally coming...

The article is quoted from http://tdiclub.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFloridaTDIguy
http://gas2.org/2008/05/21/clean-die...2010-timeline/

New diesels will get better mileage and have cleaner emissions than your average car. Pictured above: 2009 Jetta SportWagen 2L TDI Clean Diesel.

Later this year (see the timeline below), we will finally begin to see an influx of new model diesels in the United States. While diesels make up 50% of the market share of vehicles in Europe, they’re still trying to shrug off the stigma of being dirty, noisy beasts here in the US. So what changed?
What are “clean” diesels?

In 2006, the EPA required the introduction of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), which removed a major polluting component of diesel fuel. Since sulfur would damage advanced emissions control systems, ULSD paved the way for better emissions control technology.
As early as August, we will start to see a new era of diesels that employ new technology to meet the strictest emissions standards in the world—BIN5/LEV II—which are enforced by 5 US states: California, Massachusetts, Maine, New York, and Vermont. BIN5/LEV II standards severely cap nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions (0.05 g/mile), one of the two tailpipe pollutants that have given diesels a bad rap (that and particulate matter).
Newer filters in these emissions systems trap particulate matter, while each model uses its own method to process NOx. Several models, including those from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, will require the maintenance of a six- to eight-gallon tank of urea. The ammonia-rich solution (for example: Mercedes BlueTEC) is injected into exhaust to neutralize smog-forming nitrogen oxides. Since the urea tanks only require replenishing every 12,000 miles or so, inconvenience seems minimal, and some models, like Honda and VW diesels, meet emissions requirements without them.
While you might expect most of these diesels to get exceptional mileage, some of them do surprisingly poor. For example, the Mercedes and Audi models only get around 18/25 MPG (making this a good reason to continue to avoid SUVs). I know that the new emissions technology is supposed to negatively affect mileage, but 25 MPG is unimpressive, considering that VW’s Jetta BlueTDI got a road tested 60 MPG.
While the high price of diesel fuel is eating into some of the economic advantage of buying a new diesel vehicle, the difference is offset by mileage gains of 25 to 40% over comparable gas models. You might not see too much difference in sticker prices, either. Some models could cost $1,500 to $3,500 more for this new emissions control technology, but VW says its Jetta SportWagens could cost $2,000 less. Also be on the lookout for Federal tax credits that could be as large as $3,400 per vehicle.
When can we expect to see clean diesels in the US? Here’s the timeline:

1. Volkswagen
  • When: August 2008
  • Models: 2009 Jetta BlueTDI sedans and SportWagens
  • Engine: 2-liter turbodiesel in-line 4
  • Est. Mileage: 29/40 m.p.g. Sedan road tested at 60 MPG.
  • Est. Base Price: $22,000 to $25,000
2. Mercedes
3. BMW
4. Audi

• When: January 2009
  • Models: Q7 3.0 TDI utility wagon
  • Engine: 3-liter turbodiesel V-6
  • Est. Mileage: 18/25 m.p.g.
  • Est. Base Price: $53,000
5. Honda (yes it’s true)
  • When: 2009
  • Models: Acura TSX sedan, other models could follow
  • Engine: 2.2-liter i-DTEC
  • Est. Mileage: 34/53 MPG
  • Est. Base Price: ?
6. Jeep
7. General Motors/Ford/Dodge
8. Nissan

9. Subaru
  • When: 2010
  • Models: Legacy sedan or Outback wagon
  • Engine: 2-liter turbodiesel flat 4
  • Est. Mileage: 33/47 m.p.g. (Outback)
  • Est. Base Price: $28,000 (Outback)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wheres toyota??
Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I wrote on that e-mail a while ago and they said as we all have heard: NO diesels for the taco.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I belive the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel si already out. My Mom was looking at one last month.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I belive the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel si already out. My Mom was looking at one last month.
Yes....

And I believe you can get a diesel in a Jeep LIberty also.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
I wrote on that e-mail a while ago and they said as we all have heard: NO diesels for the taco.
Didn't someone post on here that Toyota announced they'll be comin' out with a diesel Taco in like, 2012 or something?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yes....

You could get one in the Liberty. 2004 was the only year for them. And its a great motor, 295 lbs. Tq. and 28 mpg.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yep... Since late 2007 actually. It is a 3.0L Turbo Diesel Mercedes engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yes....

Only for 2005 and 2006. It was a pilot program to gauge whether or not they would sell. They sold 40% more than they originally planned to even build. The 2.8L VM Motori Turbo Diesel is bomb proof. Unfortunately, the transmission's torque converter programming was not. That is why I don't have mine anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
Didn't someone post on here that Toyota announced they'll be comin' out with a diesel Taco in like, 2012 or something?

Unfortunately, no. There have been plans for a HD Tundra Turbo Diesel, but latest press releases say that it is on hold too...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Quack Addict
01TacoTRD will become famous soon enough

01TacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 01TacoTRD
I really like the idea of a diesel taco
Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #10

[quote=007Tacoma;160863]Only for 2005 and 2006. It was a pilot program to gauge whether or not they would sell. They sold 40% more than they originally planned to even build. The 2.7L VM Motori Turbo Diesel is bomb proof. Unfortunately, the transmission's torque converter programming was not. That is why I don't have mine anymore. quote]
Ours in an '04..... No problems with the converter, but it only has 35,000 miles on it.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
You could get one in the Liberty. 2004 was the only year for them. And its a great motor, 295 lbs. Tq. and 28 mpg.
if you got a 2004, then it was a test bed model. They were sold as United States EPA certified vehicles for 2005 and 2006. In 2007 the emissions standards changed, and the 2.8L engine would have required some kind of after-treatment to pass Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions regulations. Chrysler (then Daimler Chrysler) decided to put the money into the Grand Cherokee and the Mercedes engine instead. Thus, they got a higher rate of return.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
I dub thee malicious!

From wikipedia...

Quote:
The Liberty was the first Jeep to use two new PowerTech engines, the 150 hp 2.4 L I4, dropped in 2006, and the 210 hp 3.7 L V6. A VM Motori 2.8 L I4 common rail turbodiesel became available in CRD branded 2005-2006 Sport and Limited models. The diesel utilized a variable geometry turbocharger and generated 160 horsepower (120 kW) and 295 pound-feet of torque. The overbuilt nature of the diesel powerplant added nearly 200 pounds to the CRD's curb weight versus the gasoline model. DaimlerChrysler introduced the CRD to gauge the marketability of diesel engines in North America; diesels are already common in Europe. Jeep exceeded their expectations by selling 10,000 Liberty CRD models in the first calendar year of sales.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
if you got a 2004, then it was a test bed model. They were sold as United States EPA certified vehicles for 2005 and 2006. In 2007 the emissions standards changed, and the 2.8L engine would have required some kind of after-treatment to pass Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions regulations. Chrysler (then Daimler Chrysler) decided to put the money into the Grand Cherokee and the Mercedes engine instead. Thus, they got a higher rate of return.
Your right. I had to go and look at the build date. It was built in late '05. Im getting old.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Quote:
Only for 2005 and 2006. It was a pilot program to gauge whether or not they would sell. They sold 40% more than they originally planned to even build. The 2.7L VM Motori Turbo Diesel is bomb proof. Unfortunately, the transmission's torque converter programming was not. That is why I don't have mine anymore.
Ours in an '04..... No problems with the converter, but it only has 35,000 miles on it.
Consider yourself VERY VERY lucky. Only about 40% had TC issues, and of those very few people got theirs fixed. My Tranny computer was reflashed 5 times with 4 different revisions to the program. They finally replaced the TC, and it did nothing for it. I traded it in on my wife's RAV4.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Your right. I had to go and look at the build date. It was built in late '05. Im getting old.
...or just tired.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #16

I didnt realize there were so few built. I wonder if that will help with its re sale value?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
...or just tired.
Thank you. It has been a very grueling week.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
I didnt realize there were so few built. I wonder if that will help with its re sale value?
yes - definitely, but if you do ever consider selling it - call me first. I am poor now, but I don't plan on staying that way.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #19

Quote:
yes - definitely, but if you do ever consider selling it - call me first. I am poor now, but I don't plan on staying that way.
I will keep that in mind!
I'll have to get some pics up to show ya.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
I will keep that in mind!
I'll have to get some pics up to show ya.
no complaints here!