LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Hey you northern state property tax payers WTF?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Hey you northern state property tax payers WTF?

WTF?

My brother told me he is now paying $12,000 a year in property taxes...HUH? A 1900SF home in a normal community of middle class homes in Clifton NJ.

He is glad his house is paid off....but I told him he is not a property owner. He only owns his House. Because he is in essence RENTING his 6000 sf lot from the state. If he stops paying he gets evicted......and the state can own his home...WOW...

I pay $573 a YEAR 4 miles from the beach on an acre with a huge pond and wooded back behind it...,1600SF..

Why do you people put up with those taxes on what should be yours? Is Christie going to give you some relief?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
In texas (yes, I know thats not northern) we pay 6500 a year for 3200 square feet, 3/4 of an acre. Very well wooded lot over 60 trees.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Ha Ha welcome to NJ the state of taxes.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm52 View Post
In texas (yes, I know thats not northern) we pay 6500 a year for 3200 square feet, 3/4 of an acre. Very well wooded lot over 60 trees.
I can almost understand that given you have a huge home and and a decent lot but that is still in renting territory.

I purposely chose a welfare state when I sold out of Las Vegas but dammm we have it good compared to many states. I would think texas would be lower as well. You must be near a large population area.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Ha Ha welcome to NJ the state of taxes.
you guys should be pulling a Egypt on the State Government up there. I don;t know why people just accept it. I guess most have never been anywhere else and take it for "normal"
Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
I can almost understand that given you have a huge home and and a decent lot but that is still in renting territory.

I purposely chose a welfare state when I sold out of Las Vegas but dammm we have it good compared to many states. I would think texas would be lower as well. You must be near a large population area.
You are correct, San Antonio. I cannot complain though. the housing down here is pretty in comparison to where I grew up in Iowa. I think we paid a little over 300,000 for this house and the property. I know back home it would have been well over double that.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Cost of living my friend... Taxes up here are much higher in certain states but you need to take that into account when you negotiate your salary if you plan on living there.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brow View Post
Man, check out property taxes in Wisconsin. It's crazy.
My family has a 2600 sq ft house up on a lake property in NW wisconsin, Can't even imagine what they pay considering they goes up there maybe....maybe 5-10 times a year. Great place though up by Mercer and Ironwood. Wonderful sledding up there.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Geez, I feel good about ours I guess. I pay about $3200 here in Oregon for a 2000 sq ft house on 1/2 acre in town here in the Portland area. A lot of it depends on the tax structure. Some states get more from sales tax and less from property taxes. California taxes the shit out of both.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Uncle Sam thanks all us property owners
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
peachc99 is on a distinguished road
peachc99's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go further north from Jersey then, only gets more expensive
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Two words:

Population density.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
2500 sq ft house. 5.96 acres. $695 a year here.

My family has a 40acre farm with a 2000 sq ft house and live about an hour from anything remotely close to a retail store and they pay under $1000 for it.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
Two words:

Population density.
Hmm shouldn't that lower taxes? A block of 15 houses pays $160K a year to the state. Surely 15 homes don;t use that much in services.......15 homes down her pay $9000 and we have Police, fire. Schools. ...same services..Of course local cops don't retire on $80K pensions at 50 either. Teachers don't make $100K a year, But neither are starving and live in the same manner as they do up north, One country, many different costs of living.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #17
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
NJ has the worst taxes and most crooked politicians in the country.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm52 View Post
Ya know, in texas anyway, ya pay on value of the property not size.

I pay 3200ish dollars on a 1400 sq foot on something like .7 acres.

My mom pays about 3000 in upstate ny on a 2000 ft 2 out buildings 5 acres (3 of which are an adjoining lot with no house on it technically) and her house is valued quite a bit more than mine. But she pays income tax and all. And her 3000 bucks is the sum of several taxes combine assessed towards the property.

In hawaii, the house I was living in on the north shore was assessed at 1.8 million. The landlord was jumping up and down about his 2000 dollar tax on that. Similar in califonia I hear. Wonder why those states are belly up?

Until recently, I was happy paying tax in NY, the schools were awesome, roads were nice, police (upstate) were not crooked etc. All went to hell more recently. You don't get something for nothing. I can't imagine what people deep in boston and NYC pay.

Definitely playing in to where I want to retire. Income vs property tax vs my pension. But I don't think I can live in the south. Its been hell for the last.. well ever since I took this job some decades ago.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #19
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Hmm shouldn't that lower taxes?\
You sure you work for the government? (just checked your profile. You've got one of those jobs that "gets something done". May not be needed in the great grand scheme, but day to day, the machine keeps rolling. You may yet be saved.)

No, for every 5 low level guys you need a supervisor..(lpo) every 5 of them gets a supervisor who probably has a minor staff (lcpo) 5 of them needs a supervisory office and staff (divo or something I'm not a sailor), and for every office you need 3 more offices created and 10 more plussed up to cover the new office. How do they impact the mission getting done? Around where I work.. they only serve to hinder, not necessarily maliciously. But by bureocratic necessity. Its a lot nicer when you are just one organization working by yourself. Your whole team can focus on the job. In post 9/11 world, we have to work together and by together, I mean, at odds.

Think it was david patraeus that said "intel is great for telling you what happened but they're no better than anyone else at telling you what's going to happen".

Furthermore the civil service program is designed to increase in size all the time. You can't be fired, as you get promoted, you need a slot to supervise.. etc. "I thought if you didn't have a spot you couldn't promote?" No, they'll create something so you don't languish. It'll have trumped up reasoning behind it, but it won't be needed. THen when you retire or move, someone has to take your spot, or they'd get called out on the fact that the spot isn't needed. At the same time, they've hired 5 new guys to work under you, they need similar opportunities.

I could go on for.. well probably weeks describing your tax dollars at "work" if not otherwise restricted from doing so. You should see the entertainment they've installed on the classified networks so we never have to do work. Not to say everyone's a slug, but if they are or aren't the outcome is the same.

Phewww. I feel better.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
You sure you work for the government? (just checked your profile. You've got one of those jobs that "gets something done". May not be needed in the great grand scheme, but day to day, the machine keeps rolling. You may yet be saved.)

No, for every 5 low level guys you need a supervisor..(lpo) every 5 of them gets a supervisor who probably has a minor staff (lcpo) 5 of them needs a supervisory office and staff (divo or something I'm not a sailor), and for every office you need 3 more offices created and 10 more plussed up to cover the new office. How do they impact the mission getting done? Around where I work.. they only serve to hinder, not necessarily maliciously. But by bureocratic necessity. Its a lot nicer when you are just one organization working by yourself. Your whole team can focus on the job. In post 9/11 world, we have to work together and by together, I mean, at odds.

Think it was david patraeus that said "intel is great for telling you what happened but they're no better than anyone else at telling you what's going to happen".

Furthermore the civil service program is designed to increase in size all the time. You can't be fired, as you get promoted, you need a slot to supervise.. etc. "I thought if you didn't have a spot you couldn't promote?" No, they'll create something so you don't languish. It'll have trumped up reasoning behind it, but it won't be needed. THen when you retire or move, someone has to take your spot, or they'd get called out on the fact that the spot isn't needed. At the same time, they've hired 5 new guys to work under you, they need similar opportunities.

I could go on for.. well probably weeks describing your tax dollars at "work" if not otherwise restricted from doing so. You should see the entertainment they've installed on the classified networks so we never have to do work. Not to say everyone's a slug, but if they are or aren't the outcome is the same.

Phewww. I feel better.

If you knew some sonar-techs... you'd be glad they have supervisors...

if people didn't need supervisors there'd be no supervisors... I don't know about you but I'm glad a lot of guys I work with, work for, or work for me have supervision. Not only is it good to have a second or third set of eyes it is always good to have someone around to keep you in check during those "off" days.

Just imagine a complex machine such as a submarine being operated by a bunch of 18-20 years old without adult supervision. Sure there will be some solid mature guys but they will not be the majority and they will succumb to peer pressure quick. This is a disaster waiting to happen.