Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

camping and sleep apnia (CPAP) solution

Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
camping and sleep apnia (CPAP) solution

since this forum is all about 4x4's, the outdoors, and possibly camping, i figured it would be appropriate to post this here.

i have had sleep apnia for years and have had to use a CPAP machine every night. this makes camping almost impossible because i have to sleep near a power source, bring in a power source, or sleep near a vehicle to run off its battery. however, i just found a more portable and elegant solution to this problem so i thought that i would share.

battery technology has made great strides in the last few years and there is now a lithium-ion battery capable of running 10-25 hours on a sinlge charge (depending on device pressure) that comes in a complete kit with the charger, adapters, and cables and it only weighs 8 pounds. it is also small enough to fit into the pocket of a car door:
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Battery..._p_23-192.html

at $400, it is kind of pricey, but i think its well worth it for the freedom and convenience of being able to sleep anywhere. i got turned on to this because my power company is shutting off the power at my apartment tonight for maintenance and i had to come up with a solution to be able to sleep. so now i have it in case the power ever goes out and for when i go camping.

for those of you with sleep apnia or those who know anyone who does have it, i hope this is helpful
Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
great idea, my father has sleep apnia and right now he charges his eliminator every day with the genny to power his CPAP, I'll transfer the idea, thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ohh... and i have to mention. this is a great company to deal with. their customer service is fantasic. the guy who helped me was patient and answered all of my questions.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I was just recently diagnosed with sleep apnia. I don't have the machine yet. I have to go in for another test in October. At 5'8", 145lbs, and 28 years old, I'm an unlikely candidate for sleep apnia, but the professionals say I have it. In my case, I'll save the $400, but it's good to know there is an alternative power source if necessary.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

with the recent lightning storms we had here, i thought that i better pull out my battery and make sure its charged up just in case the power were to go out.

so i also thought that i would bump this thread for anyone else in a similar situation
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
awesome find! At the office I work at, we see a lot of patients with sleep apnea. I may have to recommend this to some! I know a few said they want to camp but cant.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
For backup power in the home, go with a UPS for computers. It's far cheaper than LIon, but not as portable. They have different sizes for different run times, depending on load.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
For backup power in the home, go with a UPS for computers. It's far cheaper than LIon, but not as portable. They have different sizes for different run times, depending on load.
thats a good call, but when a UPS loses external power, it beeps that would suck when you are trying to sleep

and you cant take a UPS with you when you are camping