Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

A Legend Passes on

Old 09-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
A Legend Passes on

Phil Hill passed away on Aug 28th. I'll admit I haven't kept up on racing as much as I used too. I met this remarkable man along with Dan Gurney and Doc Bundy several years ago in Birmingham at Barber raceway.

The only native born American to be crowned world champion. Winner of Le Mans three times. Sebring three times as well. Phil Hill was an approachable and accomplished endurance race car driver worthy of the titles he won.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Todd/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Todd/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Todd/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Todd/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]

"From my standpoint, quite honestly, I feel my career is richer because I raced against him. In 1967 at Sebring, when Bruce McLaren and I won with Ford, the last real battle that we had in the race was with Chapparral with Phil Hill at the helm. He blew up, to my great relief; he was right on my tail. Of course, it was the twilight of his career, but at least we touched each other in competition, and for that I am grateful, to be able to say I competed with the likes of Phil Hill." ---- Mario Andretti