1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Legend Passes on

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by OU812, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Sep 6, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    OU812

OU812 [OP] ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Phil Hill passed away on Aug 28th. I'll admit I haven't kept up on racing as much as I used too. I met this remarkable man along with Dan Gurney and Doc Bundy several years ago in Birmingham at Barber raceway.

The only native born American to be crowned world champion. Winner of Le Mans three times. Sebring three times as well. Phil Hill was an approachable and accomplished endurance race car driver worthy of the titles he won.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    phil_hill_886c804a0e8764df080ea889ae8d61b9f4691720.jpg

[​IMG][​IMG]41906743_c4037dcd188cfa61e44a0b565c2501d4ac4c8a42.jpg

"From my standpoint, quite honestly, I feel my career is richer because I raced against him. In 1967 at Sebring, when Bruce McLaren and I won with Ford, the last real battle that we had in the race was with Chapparral with Phil Hill at the helm. He blew up, to my great relief; he was right on my tail. Of course, it was the twilight of his career, but at least we touched each other in competition, and for that I am grateful, to be able to say I competed with the likes of Phil Hill." ---- Mario Andretti

Products Discussed in

To Top