Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Quitting a job, do they have to pay you your vacation pay?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
Quitting a job, do they have to pay you your vacation pay?

I need some advice ladies and gents. I'm about to be quitting my job to move on to greener pastures. The only problem is that I'm owed 2 weeks vacation pay and we are "not allowed to use them in busy season". I'm entitled to this money correct? I haven't put my 2 weeks notice in yet, and really need some advice. Should I try to get the pay before I put in my notice or just tell them at the same time? Legally they have to pay me right?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Ask to review your company policy. If you give two weeks notice per what is required in your company policy and you complete the two weeks without quitting early then they should be obligated to pay you the vacation pay.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
One problem at a time...
koa24 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
koa24's Tacoma Gallery
They do have to pay you. But, some places are able to tax you differently for cashing out vacation. For example, say you have 1 week of vaca. worth $2,000. If you cashed that out instead of taking the vaca. you may only get $1,000 because they taxed you differently.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
I think it depends on the company. You should just ask HR, they are obligated to keep it confidential that you were inquiring about it.

The company I work for pays out vacation, however, if you decide and give your 2 weeks notice, you are not allowed to take vacation during those 2 weeks.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Nope.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
Depends, read the fine print in your HR manual. I have seen some pretty dirty stuff when it comes to vacation/PTO definately make sure you work the full two weeks of your notice that a big one.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on your company policy and/or how they acrue your vacation.

My own company used to acrue vacation time after you worked X amount of months in a given year and your vacation couldn't be used until the following year. In other words, you had to work almost a full year before using you acrued time. This years vacation time is actually acrued from last year. If you quit after 3 months, you were entitled to your entire years vacation pay from last year.

They changed all that since and currently, you acrue your time in the same year.
So, if you quit the job after 3 months - you only get 1/4 of the vacation pay for that year.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
nope.....mine wont
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Location: south Florida - not from here though, I can count AND spell
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
It varies from state to state AND company to company. There's some pretty dirty pool that gets played around this issue. Consult a big-chief-muckymuck in HR about this.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Insist on using it before you give them notice. Make up any good reason. If they don't like it what will they do, lay you off? I know...file for short term disability, they'll have to use whatever vacation and/or sick time you have up first before starting to pay you your 60% of normal salary while on it, give them 2 week notice & go to your greener pasture.

Seriously, check the particulars of your situation. There is no certain policy they have to follow, no ISO anything for this other than there is no ISO for everyone. Check the HR policy. Don't give head's up about notice until you find out and while you're reading up on vacation, read up on giving notice since that isn't necessarily the same from one place to another either.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
I told HR that I needed my vacation pay today. I was told they would have to clear it with the general manager. I wanna give 2 weeks notice, but I'm supposed to start my new job on the 9th of next month. I should wait until I get my vacation check to put in my 2 weeks right?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
quit and you'll lose it

get fired and they have to pay you whats owed
Old 02-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koa24 View Post
For example, say you have 1 week of vaca. worth $2,000.
Da-yum!!! I want to come work where you do!!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
In California, vacation accrual is the same as earned wages. The employer has to pay it back:

Q.
What happens to my earned and accrued but unused vacation if I am discharged or quit my job?

A.
Under California law, unless otherwise stipulated by a collective bargaining agreement, whenever the employment relationship ends, for any reason whatsoever, and the employee has not used all of his or her earned and accrued vacation, the employer must pay the employee at his or her final rate of pay for all of his or her earned and accrued and unused vacation days. Labor Code Section 227.3. Because paid vacation benefits are considered wages, such pay must be included in the employee's final paycheck.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Found this concerning Florida:
http://www.humanresourceblog.com/200...-vacation-pay/

Nine states have laws saying employers must compensation their employees for accrued vacation time. The law covers employees who are fired or laid off, or who quit. The states are Illinois, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Oregon, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Maine, and California.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
no idea how the states do it, but I know if I leave my job here in canada, my vacation time will be paid out last check.

UNLESS!!

You are working a job that pays out vacation time on each pay check normally. I've had jobs like that before, and its normally a small company thing.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Some states, as mentioned above, have it written in law. Most don't. Usually it comes down to whatever is in your employee handbook, or written rules. Most will require a notice.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
i'm gonna guess and say hes quit within the past 5 months already
Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
Depends on the company. They may pay you, but like stated above they may tax the shit out of it. Certain companys, after you give them your 2 weeks, they cut you right there to save the payroll.
But if your company has a policy and procedure section on the company website, look in to that...you can never trust an HR to keep things 100% confidential...