Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Off shore drilling.....when?!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Off shore drilling.....when?!

So gas prices have been on the rise and they aren't going to go down anytime soon (above $5/gallons reported in liberal land) So, I wonder when the stupid greenies will get out of the way and let private companies drill off shore, like in the Gulf of el Mexico. I heard China is drilling 400 miles of the coast of Florida (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and even Mexico is drilling in the gulf and storing it away. Not to turn this into a nobama subject but he was close to allowing off shore drilling until BP had that accident, then he decided against it.

So when. When will we stop lining the pockets of middle eastern companies and become self sufficient?! What must we do!

Sorry...this just pisses me off, knowing that we shouldn't be having to pay these prices. but because of a couple of people/groups/environmental activists, we have to. I'm not one for completely destroying the environment and killing off species, but we can't preserve every species out there lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
China is drilling 400 miles off the coast of Florida ? In the Atlantic ?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
China is drilling 400 miles off the coast of Florida ? In the Atlantic ?
Well, privatized chinese companies so not exactly the chinese government.
http://www.americanfreepress.net/htm..._drilling.html

I an older article but its still happening.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Well, privatized chinese companies so not exactly the chinese government.
http://www.americanfreepress.net/htm..._drilling.html

I an older article but its still happening.
Nothing is "private" in China. the Gov't owns everything.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Nothing is "private" in China. the Gov't owns everything.
Sorry, I forgot to add a sarcasm face after privatized lol but yea, you are correct.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Or maybe we could just shake off the yoke of oil dependency all together.

I for one am tired of hearing people complain about the rising cost of oil/gas, but then are reluctant to fund alternative energy research because it's "too green," or some BS.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to add a sarcasm face after privatized lol but yea, you are correct.
AHHHHH. sarcasm will DESTROY THE INTERNET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post

I for one am tired of hearing people complain about the rising cost of oil/gas, but then are reluctant to fund alternative energy research because it's "too EXPENSIVE," or some BS.
fixed
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure the government has come up with an alternative fuel source, but waiting for the right time to reveal it to the public so as to put a RIDICULOUS price on it. Whether it be a new engine or actual fuel mixture, or some other crap I dunno.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
fixed
Bullshit.

It's not too expensive. It's expensive in the short-term, which is all that people in America really care about.

It's only expensive, really, to the lobbyists who would lose gigantic fortunes if we shake gasoline.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
&erson will become famous soon enough&erson will become famous soon enough
&erson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bullshit.
It's only expensive, really, to the lobbyists who would lose gigantic fortunes if we shake gasoline.
x2

as a resident on the gulf coast, i for one am happy there's not an abundance of oil rigs like there is in other areas.
i don't see how littering the rest of the gulf coastline will save you a dime

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Bullshit.

It's not too expensive. It's expensive in the short-term, which is all that people in America really care about.

True.

Oil companies have a lot invested in politicians...like paying for campaigns, then asking for a "favor" when said politician sits in power. Politician will oblige for the cash flow.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So gas prices have been on the rise and they aren't going to go down anytime soon (above $5/gallons reported in liberal land) So, I wonder when the stupid greenies will get out of the way and let private companies drill off shore, like in the Gulf of el Mexico. I heard China is drilling 400 miles of the coast of Florida (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and even Mexico is drilling in the gulf and storing it away. Not to turn this into a nobama subject but he was close to allowing off shore drilling until BP had that accident, then he decided against it.

So when. When will we stop lining the pockets of middle eastern companies and become self sufficient?! What must we do!

Sorry...this just pisses me off, knowing that we shouldn't be having to pay these prices. but because of a couple of people/groups/environmental activists, we have to. I'm not one for completely destroying the environment and killing off species, but we can't preserve every species out there lol.
I feel your pain, hell we all do but you can't just blame the middle east, the U.S. gov. , tree hugging activist etc; you left out the many investors & speculative buyers around the world (& a shit load of spec. buyers here in the states) Guys, for years our economy & growth has been based on the availability of cheap fuel, well obliviously that has changed, but what hasn't changed is our mind set & ignoring the fact that we are as strung out & addicted to imported oil as any junkie is to heroin, or an alchoholic to alchohol... We gotta figure a way to reduce or better still eliminate our being held hostage by countries that really don't give 2 shits about us regardless of what we've done for them, or to them.

Time to fire up the drilling rigs & start pumping our own ?? Common sense says "Yes". But as you know , theres many obstacles with regulation etc;(& it doesn't really matter what political party is in power) One major obstacle I haven't seen mentioned is big oil , trust me they are as invested as anyone with spec. buying on the open/spot market....

just my $.02...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Time to fire up the drilling rigs & start pumping our own ?? Common sense says "Yes". But as you know , theres many obstacles with regulation etc;(& it doesn't really matter what political party is in power) One major obstacle I haven't seen mentioned is big oil , trust me they are as invested as anyone with spec. buying on the open/spot market....

just my $.02...
I'm with you. It doesn't make a difference which party is running things, Big Oil and their deep pocketbooks will always have a way of influencing political campaigns. Especially through lobbying, advertising and donations.

I would be okay with increased drilling/exploration on home soil across a 10-year period to shake the international monkey, as long as there was a plan in place to rid the dependency after that decade.

I find it alarming that we can come up with a synthetic for everything in this world except gas. Oil, sugar, animals, vaccines, etc., can all be reproduced with minimal expenditure -- even more so on a mass scale. Plus, they're generally more consistent in quality and delivery. At some point, there has to be a synthetic gasoline that costs a quarter of the drilling/extracting/refining/delivery overhead that conventional oil does.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you could buy the oil from China , apparently they are drilling right off the coast of Florida .
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I for one am tired of hearing people complain about the rising cost of oil/gas, but then are reluctant to fund alternative energy research because it's "too green," or some BS.
The problem today is that a serious commitment needed to be made 30 years ago. That way, we would be at the back end of the transition to alternative energy.

The plan now is to cause extreme financial pain to convince the population of the need to wean us off of oil.

Not exactly a cost efficient means to an end...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
I'm with you. It doesn't make a difference which party is running things, Big Oil and their deep pocketbooks will always have a way of influencing political campaigns. Especially through lobbying, advertising and donations.

I would be okay with increased drilling/exploration on home soil across a 10-year period to shake the international monkey, as long as there was a plan in place to rid the dependency after that decade.

I find it alarming that we can come up with a synthetic for everything in this world except gas. Oil, sugar, animals, vaccines, etc., can all be reproduced with minimal expenditure -- even more so on a mass scale. Plus, they're generally more consistent in quality and delivery. At some point, there has to be a synthetic gasoline that costs a quarter of the drilling/extracting/refining/delivery overhead that conventional oil does.
Like I said, oil companies (big oil if you'd like) have favors owed to them by politicians (any party) even if it is concealing new technology for synthetic fuel.

My college science teacher was part of an r&d team for that type of product and were 90% there until they got shut down by several gov agencies.

Yes it sounds like a conspiracy theory but nowadays I wouldn't put it past the suits to do something like that.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
With all the red tape and other bullshit that comes along with it,I don't see it in my life time.But you never know?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
The problem today is that a serious commitment needed to be made 30 years ago. That way, we would be at the back end of the transition to alternative energy.

The plan now is to cause extreme financial pain to convince the population of the need to wean us off of oil.

Not exactly a cost efficient means to an end...
Unfortunately, we can't rewrite time.

The same argument can be made for 30 years from now. Financial pain is all relative to the time they are occurring. I bet people in the '60s and '70s we're feeling pretty pinched during the oil embargoes and shortages they had to go through.

In 2041, as energy consumption continues to expand at exponential rates, people could be saying, "why didn't we start this process 30 years ago so we could be at the back end of the conversion?"

At some point, people are going to have to feel the pain. The problem is that every generation wants to push it off to the next. I would almost suggest that while we are in the midst of an economic catastrophe, now might be the best time to start the process. Then, as the economy improves, the burdens of energy conversion are softened. Not to mention, setting ourselves up as the industry leader in renewable/conservative energy processes can only serve to establish a greater return as more nations seek to follow the example.

America is the leader in innovation and adaption. We should be able to do it if we can get the stones to throw off the control of Big Oil companies and their influence. Ever wonder how companies like Exxon and Shell can continue to show record profits in a down economy? It's because there's no competition for their product, and the Western world will continue to pay whatever price they set.