1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Craigslist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by macgyver, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    macgyver

macgyver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Post your funny and frustrating craigslist experiences.

I'll start with one I had today. Here's my ad for the wheels I have for sale

"For sale is a set of (4) 16" Toyota Tacoma Alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac All-terrain tires.

The tires are 265/75/16 (equivalent to a 32" tire) and have about 27k miles on them. I rotated the tires every 5k miles so the tire wear is completely even as you can see in the pictures. They tires have 3/8" of tread depth left compared to the 5/8" depth they had originally.

These tires are great tires both on and off-road and they do really well in snowy/icy conditions since they are pre-siped from the factory.

I will not separate the set! It would cost me money to have the tires dismounted which I don't want to spend.

I am getting rid of these because I bought a new set of wheels and tires.

###-###-#### My name is Brad.

Don't ask me where Canton is. You are on a computer...LOOK IT UP. I am willing to meet within a 15 mile radius of my home."

I just got an email from someone asking how much I would sell just the tires for....and if I was willing to trade for their 265/75/16 tires...:rolleyes:

I've also had a guy tell me that the $40 I was asking for a table saw that cost $200 new was too much money and he could only give me $20 and needed me to deliver it to him.

I sell a decent amount of stuff on there so I have too many stories to tell...

2. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thought of some more.

I sold a set of wheels and tires from my sisters car. She dented one rim so she got a new set of rims. I listed all 4 wheels and tires for $150 on craigslist and specifically stated I was selling them so cheap because one wheel was dented. It holds air but doesn't balance properly.

I get a call from a guy, we arrange to meet up. He calls me while he is on his way and says he is in a toyota pickup..I said cool me too. He shows up in a RAV4 lol. Then he freaks out when I show him where the rim is dented and says he didn't think there was any damage...lol wtf? He still ended up buying them.

I had another guy get mad at me in an email (caps lock and exclamation points) because I sold my mountain bike to someone else (who called me at the phone number listed in the ad) before he could buy them. Sorry dude, first come first serve. Money talks.

3. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I know. I deal with craigslist quite a bit too and it really gets annoying sometimes. Looks like 10% of the calls/emails are legit. I really like the emails where they can't even type in plain English and want to send their agent to pick up your item.

4. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    This Fall I sold a snowmobile to a guy from NY.
    He arrived with two young kids in tow.
    The little girl had to go to the bathroom & was visibly uncomfortable, doing the pee dance.
    I said I would show them inside the house to use the restroom.
    He said no she could pee right on the side of the my house :poking:
    There are no bushes & I live in plain sight of a couple of houses. Took the lil one over there and had her pee in the leaves ...I honestly did not know what to say .....:eek:

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I was sacmmed out of $500 on a vacation rental in NY. I was lost, didn't know what to do.

So I posted my predicament on custom tacos (since that was THE taco site back in the day) and with the help of the forum members, I found out how to get my money back.

proof:
    http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115806

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I recently had a number of quality backpacking items for sale on Craigslist. Had one guy ask if I would give him a tent I was asking $100. for, because he was going to be loosing his job and neeeded a place to live. I would hope that the guy would have had his sights set a little higher than a 2 person backpack tent.:rolleyes: Then there are the people who think your items are worth half of what your asking for. I learned to ignore many of the offers or simply state what my minimum price was. The funny thing is I eventually sold everything except for that tent the guy wanted for free! :facepalm:

7. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    I love the people who give you their life story.

My buddy sold a couch recently and some woman procedes to tell him how she fosters children and they will be sleeping on the couch because they don't have a bed and bla bla bla.

I Don't care.

You give me money, I give you Item for sale, End of purchase.

8. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I was giving away a nice computer chair on craigslist and some guy picked it up. He was so amazed (or just plain high) at the chair he gave me half of his blunt! I was like whoaa..... umm ok

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Mine's not all that funny but still scarry lol.

So when I was selling my old KX125 dirtbike, the first guy that came to look at it was buying it for his son. He definitely did not look comfortable on a bike and him saying he rides a CRF230F (anyone familiar with bikes knows that is no race bike lol) did not make me feel comfortable letting him take it for a test ride.

Well he had the $1300 in hand and was really into the bike so I let him take her for a spin. First he couldn't start it because he was kicking like a girl, so I had to start it lol, then he gets on and starts absolutely ripping down the road (paved asphalt) and comes back doing at least 50mph and blows by us on the brakes. Then he pulls up complaining the brakes were really weak and the power was insane lol. Thats when we realized we got some WD-40 on the rotors when detailing lol. So I basically almost killed the guy and he still gave me full asking price for the bike.

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I better not say too much because I have a bunch of Tacoma take offs that will be on there soon and I will be going thru it all over again. The people I like to deal with know what they want, know what its value is and don't try to chew you down, too much.

11. Feb 25, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Here's a text message I just got that made me lol:

"Hey if u still have these tires an wheels could u measure the in side of the liug wholes to c if my hubs on my toyota will fit threw them.....I sneer 4 1/4 ins for my hubs....thanks melissa"

lol wtf? go to 3rd grade much?

12. Feb 25, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    ask her when she's gonna let you tap that.

13. Feb 25, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    lol good call

14. Feb 25, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Range 44

Range 44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ TTE
    I live in Canton as well, I have experienced some very interesting interactions with people out here too.

15. Feb 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'm converting my Mustang from an 8 inch rear end to the stronger 9 inch. I'm also doing 4 wheel disc, new gas tank and fuel lines, etc. When the guy came to pick up the old 8 inch rear I was selling, he practically begged me to sell him my old brake lines, fuel tank, fuel lines, shocks, springs, etc. He didn't care at all that they were 45 years old and unsafe, he just wanted to get his car on the road as cheap as possible. Scary.

16. Feb 25, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    LOL, glad to see I am not the only one having some really interesting situations on CL. I have been offered everything from puppies to a list of 90's computer parts when my ads say "CASH ONLY - NO TRADES"

The best ones are when they show up knowing what the price is and start the haggle even though you have discussed it prior to the meeting. I always hold my ground at that point because if you wanted to bargain do it prior to wasting my time. I post images and give you every possible detail before you come out.

AND NEVER EVER BRING THEM TO YOUR HOUSE

17. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    See, this is where I'm different than most people. I'd prefer you come to my house rather than meet you in some parking lot somewhere. I'm not alone, and if something happens, I'm on my own property. I'm not worried about break-ins either, with a security system and roommates and neighbors who are always home. Somehow I always manage to have a gun visible to them at some point too. I wonder how that happens? :)

I also think that the type of stuff I sell appeals to certain individuals (old guys with classic cars, mostly) that aren't exactly high on the threat list. I've bought stuff from guys who then end up being buyers of my parts multiple times.

18. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I sold my Ranger years ago on Craigslist and got tired of the assholes that would ask "what is your cash price". Or, I had it listed for $6500 and they would offer exactly half. My wife sold a Ball Python snake a few years go and in the add she clearly listed the age, size and breed of snake as well as the price and we finally took the add down when answered the 100th call asking how big and what kind of snake was it. I moved into a new house and had an entire household supply of nice new moving boxes that I was giving away and some bitch yelled at me because I wouldn't load them up and drive them to her house 30 miles away.

19. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    I usually meet them in the Wal-mart or Publix parking lot near my house. Very well lit and lots of cameras in the lot. The only time I have ever had them come to my house when I didn't have a truck and sold a couch and another time when I gave away a mattress.

It amazes me when I give stuff away on there how much your phone rings off the hook within minutes of posting free stuff.

I had a roomate move out without notice one time and left some of his shit. I gave away some of it and sold the other stuff to makeup for the rent he skipped out on. I gave away his mattress and boxspring and my phone literally rang within 2 minutes of posting it. The mattress was gone in an hour and half.

I love the people who call and say...well I don't have a car. Can you deliver it. NO! Quit spending your money on stupid shit and save up for a damn car you lazy piece of crap.

20. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:

I guess my thought process is that even with a nice alarm and neighbors that 2am break-in when you are working nights doesn't thrill me knowing my wife and child are at home. I am not saying they can't take care of themselves (wife can for sure) but most of the people I have dealt with over the years are less than stellar individuals ...

Either way being well equipped during sales transactions is always my main focus.

Products Discussed in

To Top