Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Anyone have a dune buggy?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
RDAY is on a distinguished road
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a dune buggy?

I would like to start one as a project and put like a sportbike engine on one and make it road legal as well. I know alot of people have done it just wondering if ne one on here has?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a dune buggy, but it's not homebuilt and they can't be made street legal where I live...
You building a frame or buying a frame?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
no im gonna buy a frame. and if i can find one for the right price i will buy one all the way setup and just swap the motor out.
How do u like urs is it fun? post some pics up.
I just got rid of my sportbike less the a month ago and i already need something for the summer lol
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
get yourself a honda ATC old school 3 wheeler instead. those are tons of fun to build and ride
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Been there done that, keep your wallet open
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Pic after I got it rolling, had added about 6 months and $3k more before finished. Total= +- $8k + uncounted hrs. labor. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a dune buggy?-bside.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
Pic after I got it rolling, had added about 6 months and $3k more before finished. Total= +- $8k + uncounted hrs. labor. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
looks nice wut engine do u have on that
'I think i want an old vw frame cuz i like the longer look of it and i want a 2 seater.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
My dad had an old Appletree sand rail when I was younger with a 1400? cc VW bug motor in it. It was street legal and was plated as a VW Bug how the hell the builder did that is beyond me. It was fun, but at 65+ it got scary cause the front would lift due to not enough downward force on = no steering.

I want a 4 seater as I have two younguns and a wife but don't got the money for it so the taco will do for now.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAY View Post
no im gonna buy a frame. and if i can find one for the right price i will buy one all the way setup and just swap the motor out.
How do u like urs is it fun? post some pics up.
I just got rid of my sportbike less the a month ago and i already need something for the summer lol
We have a Funco http://www.funco-motorsports.com/ with a 3.5L Turbo Honda motor...it's fast and expensive..
Not the kind of thing you are looking for, but here it is...

Yes, it's tons of fun!! We ride at Dumont Dunes in California, it's strictly for the dunes.

This one was partially built in our garage...frame is Sand Cars Unlimited, it has a Buick Grand National motor. http://www.sandcars.com/

Here is our old mid-travel beam car, Chenowith frame with a Ford (can't remember what) motor...and I think it originally had a VW.

Sold that^^ with a broken frame for $3000, the guy had it rebuilt by a friend and used it as a starter buggy to see if he liked it before investing more $$.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
i really like the one u sold and the frame u have in ur garage
Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAY View Post
i really like the one u sold and the frame u have in ur garage
The Chenoweth frame is a sturdy one, if you can find one in good shape it would make a good buggy. Check out www.dunebuggy.com

This is the frame of the one we helped put together...it was very $$$$. It's based on the Sand Cars Unlimited Big Bro model, this was a custom build by SCU for a friend of ours.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Friend down the street had one when we were kids. We use to joy ride in it all the time. There a blast.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
no