1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

staying friends after separating ever work?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by vtragweed, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    we've been talking for awhile now about separating, and we know how hard that is when there's a child involved. but she wants to be friends no matter what, seriously does this ever work

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    didnt for me but there wasnt a kid involved

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    but shoot man if yall gotta break try it out if it works it works if not shit happens

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    all you can do is pretend....just think of the kid

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I know where this thread is headed when Boyd shows up .

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    thats what i was thinking, if my wife doesnt wanna be with me then ok. but i cant do without my little girl

7. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Rarely, I guess having a child involved may make it easier because you will have to still communicate with her and would work in for favor. She won't be bitter and try to take all visitation from you. Me and my ex agreed to be friends and it was always akward. About 9 months after we broke up she started flirting with me hard (after I started dating another girl 4 months before) then I got 2 days of sad boohoo I still love you texts and we don't talk anymore.

8. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
  9. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    If there wasn't a child involved i would suggest getting the hell away. It will not work. Seeing as how there is a child involved it's on you to man up and take care of business. It depends alot on if you can handle the emotional stress of the split. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you

10. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    yes! I'm living it right now, my parents have been divorced for a while and my dad moved into the same town as me and my mom, they are good friends, my mom is now married and my dad has a gf of 5 years and they all always go to dinner and do things together... do it for the kid, that's all you got left

if you two can handle seeing the other with another person you will be just fine!

hope this helps:)

11. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It can be done. I'm still friends with my ex. Future girlfriends might have a problem with it though

12. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    ha lol my best friend is a girl and i hang out with her a lot, i asked another girl out and she said yes.... only if i don't hang out or even talk with my best friend.
    lets just say she was kicked to the curb pretty damn quick.

13. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    From my experience of coming from a divorced family to seeing many of my acquaintances divorce....

It is always awkward especially if you have a child. I have seen kids stop calling their dads dads, I have seen women moving out of state or across the state to make visitation almost impossible. I have seen families support that type of behavior.

In the end divorce is never a pretty thing even if you part ways on good terms (if such a thing even exists).

I think the only exception is when your "together" child is above 16 ish and is pretty independent so you guys can do stuff without getting permission from mother.

In any other case expect some awkwardness from the new husband/boyfriend and you will be getting a stinkeye either face to face or behind the curtain.

Speaking from my own experience when my own folks split up. No amount of gifts can compensate for a strong emotional support a father can provide.

14. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    doubletaco

doubletaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Magnolia
    Vehicle:
    16 Quicksand TRD O/R 4x4
    TRD FJ Wheels, LED Fog lights
    I'm better friends with my exwife than when we were married have one kid with her so I didn't want him growing up with us fighting or calling each other names. It worked out great for me but I made it clear I never wanted anything to do with her besides the kid. So yes it can work you just have to communicate with each other.

15. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Tint, sliders, puddle pods, on my way to more….
    I have 2 ex-wife's and a child with both of them, me and my first get along great and are good friends, the second is not so good,she makes every thing very difficult no matter how respectfully I treat her and try to get along. So I guess yes it does and no it does not just depends on how both individuals choose to conduct themselves.IMO the kids need both parents so it would be best to put any differences aside and get along the best you can.

16. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

I agree 100% Connor, good take bro'...!

17. Mar 1, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

18. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    The only time I've seen it work was with Jerry and Elaine on Seinfeld.

19. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Well stated! You make it work...and try to have a rational discussion with your soon to be ex about exactly that as you go through the split. There will be times when you both will have to put aside your differences to do what's right for your kid. And as she becomes a teenager, you both have to communicate about what's going on, or she will try to play one against the other. Buddy of mine is experiencing that right now.

20. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    DOT

DOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jobin
    Littleton CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    3'' toytec lift
    Hey I think it could happen I dont know about friends but at least respect one another as you would with any other person. That is how me and my ex are we dont hang out or anything but still talk like 2 adults we dont have a kid but I think it would be the same if we had.

Products Discussed in

To Top