1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to fix the economy and get our nation out of debt?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Killer, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    People can prattle on about the war, and yeah, we should reduce defense spending and pull out of two wars where the end is not in sight.

OTOH, the REAL killer is our entitlement programs. Social Security / Medicare / Medicaid account for the largest part of our budget, hands down. They dwarf everything else, handily.

I wish they had never been created, to be honest, but now that they have, we need to find a way to end them while not screwing people who have paid in.

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Thats True

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Get the poor people off the governments teet.

Get out of stupid mini wars (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc).

Drill for oil.

Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. The government officials are making too many kickbacks to change anything. AKA we're fucked.

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Hate to be the one to tell you, but those programs are never going anywhere. The names might change over time, but they will still be in effect.

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    The question was about how to fix our problem, not whether the solution is realistic.

Fact of the matter is, those programs are draining us, unsustainable, AND insulting to the American people. I can and am planning for my own retirement and healthcare, thank you very much. I'm not a child, I don't particularly want government help, I just want to be left alone.

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

SargeSlapnuts SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pooler, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 taco TRD off road 4x4 dbl cab.
    255/85-16 BF goodrich km3's, modified trail gear Bumpers front and rear, 10k winch, ranch rear lift shackles, Rancho coilovers in the front, grey wire mod, aftermarket stereo, camper top on the back.
    1.drill for oil in our borders
    2.DO NOT redistribute the wealth let the poor be poor and the rich be rich. if the poor want more money they can work for like everyone else.
    3.we as a people need to unite straighten our goverment out. i.e. fairtax, dump the health care crap, obtain all the freedoms we once had and maintain a true democracy not a pissing match over power and wealth over all people.

just a few simple steps that could help.

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Pay taxes

8. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    ..Cut off welfare
    ..Everyone should pay taxes
    ... Buy more American made products

9. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    fucking print money

10. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

SargeSlapnuts SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pooler, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 taco TRD off road 4x4 dbl cab.
    255/85-16 BF goodrich km3's, modified trail gear Bumpers front and rear, 10k winch, ranch rear lift shackles, Rancho coilovers in the front, grey wire mod, aftermarket stereo, camper top on the back.
    that will cause inflation and the value of money will drop severely. that why shit seems so expensive now because of inflation. the government has more money but then they give it us and it make every dollar we earn worth less. you try learning a little history before you make a dim witted statement like that.

11. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I say drug test the welfare,that will cut it down a lot.
    Agree everyone pays taxes
    Not much made in USA anymore,not ever customer servive:mad:

12. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    i wasnt being serious....but it would help temporarily

anyways this is a losing thread..........

13. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    Ninja

Ninja The Lone Wolf of TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner SR5 Reg. Cab
    This isn't just a federal gov't issue, it also includes state and local gov'ts as well...and all "3" of them are as guilty of "skewed numbers" that would make WaMu, Enron and Bernie Madoff proud.

US: $700 Billion for 3 million temp jobs....that's an overhead of 95%...WTF?

AZ: Only $3 Billion in debt....there are states with debt 10 to 15 times that much....using loans to pay it's employee's. Why? because the loans don't show up on this years budget fooling people that the debt isn't as bad as it is. BTW, they are only showing the debt service, aka interest, on the books.

Phoenix: Police Chief "retires", gets a pension and rehired as "Public Safety Director"...essentially the same job...and get an even higher salary. Currently "reassigned" while the dept is under investigation for "cooking the books" on crime stats...to get more money from the feds.

This is just a small sample of the shenanigans that are going on, maybe we need to start twitering and facebooking for demonstations in the capitol retunda.

14. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    while contractors can save money in some places, it costs more in other areas. they will still need training before going overseas, especially if they are going to be in combat. they can skip boot camp but still need all the weapons training and courses. and they do get paid more (Im a contractor, I know).

fix the imigration problem. hit that shit hard and fast. the illegals are draining the economy bad for a lot of states esp AZ, CA, and TX.

this
    and this.

15. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    tquang

tquang mytacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    mytacoma
    San Dimas, S.Ca
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Made In USA

16. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    Killer

Killer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
  17. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    x1000000!!!!!

18. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    Reaper10

Reaper10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver DC 4x4 TRD OR
    Billstein 5100's all around, ToyTec coilovers up front, ToyTec 1.5" AAL in the rear with TSB leaf springs, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, XD Revolvers in Black wrapped in 265/70/17 BFG TA/KOs, AFE Pro Dry S Airfilter, Pioneer AVIC-X920BT in-dash NAVI, Devil Horns by Andres, 14 inch shorty antenna

Contractors actually cost a great deal more then the average soldier. The use of private contractors saves the government in long term costs because they don't have to pay retirement benefits or health benefits, those costs are absorbed by the company they work for. Contractors, on average, earn more then twice and sometimes three times as much as their military counterparts. If the troops are brought home then the argument is made for a military draw down. This would result in a decrease of military spending but that burden is then shifted to the private sector as more unemployed individuals enter the job market. The added benefit to using civilian contractors is that it insulates the government when their actions turn bad. This country cannot be adequately defended by a mercenary fighting force. The things we do are more often then not for god and country not for the paycheck. Every single one of us has sworn an oath to support and defend this nation and her citizens from all enemies both foreign and domestic. A mercenary or "contract soldier" swears no such allegiance and is bound only by a paycheck.
    The easiest way to cut government spending is through the elimination of Earmark spending in the budgets. I promise you we do not need to spend 5 million dollars a year to study the effect of cow farts on the environment.
    Sorry for the long winded response but I've had the displeasure of dealing with "private security contractors" and it's just another sign of our government treating our nations fighting forces as a corporation and less like the dedicated, professional, honor bound group of warriors we really are!

19. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    ARC

ARC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11, TRD 4X4, 6SPD
    Biggest single action that needs to be taken IMO

20. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    The only realistic solution is to raise taxes...

spending cuts are great... but where? the only effective spending cuts would have to come from

1. Military
    2. Social Security
    3. Medicare

trimming discretionary funding will not get us out a $1.4 trillion dollar deficit.

A matter of fact... if you completely eliminated the entire military budget you'd still have ~$0.5 Trillion dollar deficit.

Unfortunately, we are at the point where budget cuts are not enough... not to mention that budget cuts results in enormous political pressure from all sides and angles.

Look right now, they government is trying to cut $80 billion from the budget...a single drop in the huge $1.4 trillion dollar deficit (not even really worth the effort) and it has caused HUGE impasses... almost a government shut-down.

The cold reality is that if balancing the budget is such a national priority then taxes MUST go up along with significant (~25%+) cuts to major departments.

I'm sorry but three things got us into this mess
    1. Bush Tax cut- that was $800 billion right there
    2. Two costly wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the result degradation in our equipment
    3. Medicare Plan D - $400 Billion right there...

combine that with the effects of a sour economy and now you're negative

This current session of the federal government is not doing a damn thing... they are always at loggerhead when action needs to be taken

if the bush tax cuts were left to expire... we'd only have a $600 Billion deficit... and the rich would only pay another 3% on income over $250k

most of us here... middle class to poor would only pay another 1-2%..............oh NO treason... sedition... SUCCESSION! :sarcasm:

Products Discussed in

To Top