1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering Joining The Police Force

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by myname150, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    myname150

myname150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    It has always been a thought of mine. I am right now on track with pursuing an Associates Degree in Nursing and then soon my Bachelors after that. Yeah, yeah male nurses, but hey my mom's been doing it for a long time and well she got herself a pretty nice car now and the house we have is decent.

But in case nursing doesnt work, I've already been doing computer repairs since i was like 12, got my A+, IC3, and STRATA certs done last year, so something in the IT field is another back up.

My last resort is probably along the lines of joining the local police here in sugar land. I just wonder if it is still a good job being that sugar land hardly ever has anything terrible happen out here. I like sugar land because of that, crime is practically non-existent, and even then the police are always out driving around the streets.

Any tips or ideas? Particularly you guys/girls that are currently police officers now! :).

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:00 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    Do not become a cop because you couldn't hack it as a murse, or in the IT field. Being a police officer is not a last resort, its a calling.

I say this not to discourage you, and I don't mean it to sound cliche, but its not a job you do for the check- there are better ways to make money, and if you don't love it, you will hate it and end up quitting anyway.

It is a dangerous job, sure, but there are worse aspects to being a cop than the danger. Do you want deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis? See children who've been raped, abused, neglected? There are things other than the chasing and shooting and fighting that people don't think about, and these are the things that would tear most people up.

Got a wife? Girlfriend? I hope she trusts you beyond a shadow of a doubt- cuz if not, you are in for some problems! There is something about the uniform- the ugliest son of a bitch on earth can put it on and have women throw themselves at him- are you and your significant other ready for that? Your wife or girlfriend ready to accept that you will have countless opportunities to cheat on her, and simply trust you not to?

If you end up with a bachelors degree in nursing but dont want to be a nurse, I suggest become a Firefighter. Here in South Florida, all firefighters are paramedics as well- so you're already half way there. Plus everone loves firefighters, nobody likes the popo.

Just some food for thought... Good luck in whatever you pursue :)

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:08 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    nurses are in high demand... you'll pretty much never be out of a job unless you complete fuck up

Demand for cops isn't really that high... depends on the economy and local budgets... but demand for nurses is only going to increase in the future.

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    myname150

myname150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nooo i see what your saying, Like right now I am leaving highschool soon but i do love my job right now. But i know i cant work here forever.

I'm sure ill find nursing very interesting, and i only pursue things that i have interest in. I don't know if maybe being a cop on the streets would be the best, but I do love to solve problems and use my head. Maybe some sort of crime investigation unit?

Thanks yall!

Products Discussed in

To Top