Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Natural Gas or Oil Heating?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Natural Gas or Oil Heating?

OK, not sure where to put this so I'm just going with the general 'off topic' category. Our street is getting a natural gas line and so now I have a choice of converting or just keep my oil furnace. Have any of you converted, and if so was it worth it? Our furnace is about 30 years old and needs some serious servicing, but we donít use a lot of oil, less than $700 for the past 6 months. The natural gas company said it will cost about $850 for them to run the line from the street to our house, but then we still need to pay somebody else to install the new furnace and get rid of the oil tank, and I donít have any idea how much thatíll be. Opinions and ideas welcome, thank you ahead of time.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I would rather deal with NG vs. oil and am pretty sure NG is cheaper month to month but............have to consider what the monthly bill difference would be and how long it may take to catch back up on the extra costs of the line to house, new furnace & getting rid of the oil tank. My NG bill is about 40 in winter and 25 or so in summer in a 2700 sq ft house, no crazy temp inside and we have every NG thing possible, not just furnace. Hot water heaters, stove, oven, clothes dryer and furnace all NG. Still, in the long run it'd be in your best interest to go NG. Don't have to depend on truck coming out to fill it either. Could you keep the oil tank, have it cleaned out and keep gasoline in it for onhand supply?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had oil heat but I can say I'm a big fan of the natural gas. My first place had electric heat which was very costly. It was well worth the conversion. Also, not sure if they're still in place but when I converted in 2007, it cost me 6,500 to run the lines from the condo below me and replace the heater / ac unit. I got 3,800 in rebates though from the gov't and gas company. Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
if you are planning on selling at any point in the future I would suggest converting to gas. the hassle of an oil furnace is not going to attract a lot of potentiial buyers.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I have had Fuel Oil & NG and will never go back to FO.
All my appliances are now natural gas as well.
No more huge 275 oil tank.
Many people in my area have converted this season due to the energy incentives.
One thing I have heard from all of them is get quotes & references before you commit, there is huge demand & not everyone's work is equal.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Fever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to behold
Fever's Tacoma Gallery
I am surprised they are charging to connect to the gas line. The gas company made the connection to my house for free , ran the internal piping and actually gave me a furnace (I had to pay for installation from a private plumber). You can always hold off, use what you have until it dies then make the switch.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
its gunna cost you at least 3k to remove old tank and furnace and get a new one installed and plumbed for gas, plus whatever the gas co. is charging to run a line into your house, if your old furnace is 30years old its on its way out and it will prob cost you 2 or 3k for that anyway. go gas
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
OK, not sure where to put this so I'm just going with the general 'off topic' category. Our street is getting a natural gas line and so now I have a choice of converting or just keep my oil furnace. Have any of you converted, and if so was it worth it? Our furnace is about 30 years old and needs some serious servicing, but we don’t use a lot of oil, less than $700 for the past 6 months. The natural gas company said it will cost about $850 for them to run the line from the street to our house, but then we still need to pay somebody else to install the new furnace and get rid of the oil tank, and I don’t have any idea how much that’ll be. Opinions and ideas welcome, thank you ahead of time.
well, for one - take into consideration the fact that your current system needs some 'serious servicing'. this is a system you don't want to let get too bad, as it can be dangerous. it's a good investment to switch to cheaper ng, and would be good for resale value, but only you can decide if it's worth it. you should monitize it, of course as others have pointed out - but if you're going to have to put a bunch of money into a old system to keep it going, make sure you include those costs in your analysis.

fyi -a lot of government agencies have incentives right now... make sure you check those out, they could pay for part of it. not sure if the 30% federal tax credit is still going on, and even if that switch to ng would be covered....
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
The Gunslinger
TacoNH has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNH has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cody
TacoNH's Tacoma Gallery
Natural gas, this shouldn't even be a serious question.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever View Post
I am surprised they are charging to connect to the gas line. The gas company made the connection to my house for free , ran the internal piping and actually gave me a furnace (I had to pay for installation from a private plumber). You can always hold off, use what you have until it dies then make the switch.
I've heard that from many other people, but a rep from the gas company came out to look at the house and gave me an $850 quote, just to connect the line. They won't install a furnace at all. We aren't moving anytime soon, we just bought the house 2 years ago, and I really want to do what's best for long term value.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #11

tís been a while since I first posted but Iíve gotten a few other estimates since then, could you all take a look and tell me what you think of these? Best estimate for converting to a 95% efficient nat. gas furnace and water heater is $7500, plus about $900 to connect our house to the street, so a total of $8400. That includes a direct vent water heater and removing all the old oil equipment.
Option 2 estimate is basically the same but with an 80% efficient nat.gas furnace and using our chimney to vent (relined with metal liner) for $5600

With this last company their estimate for new oil equipment was $6800, so it really doesnít make any sense to stay with oil at all. Do these seem like reasonable figures, and is there anything else I should ask or find out?