1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black Lab or Chocolate Lab?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by norcal4banger, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Good luck! I'm sure which ever one you get will be great!! Just bring them up right and they will turn into a great dog.

2. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I think alot depends on the dogs personality. Molly hated the water. In fact, she didnt much like walking in dirt or grass. Gabby on the other hand, is the extremem opposite. Cant keep her out of the water, or dirt :eek:

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    More important than color is the breeder and the bloodlines if you are looking for a sport dog. I train Malinois for sport and that's what we looks at.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A Lab's temperment is not associated with the coat color at all. Find a good breeder, meet the pup's parents and get the history. I've got a 1 yr old chocolate and he's awesome! Very very calm, especially for a lab, most are crazy at that age. I got incredibly lucky but, in general, labs are great dogs. They do better if you keep them engaged and active. They're intelligent so when they get bored, they become destructive. Here's my guy a few months ago at the beach.
    [​IMG]

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    If your looking for a good hunting (duck retreiver) try looking at Cheaspeake Bay retreivers. We have one and she loves to ride in the truck, loves the water no matter what the tempature. They are a little hard headed but great family dogs.

6. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    Falcon86

Falcon86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beachshire
    Vehicle:
    Bone-stock
    I've got a 5 year old black lab and an 8 month old yellow lab. Both are awesome. Just find a good breeder and bring him up right.

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger [OP] 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    Awesome info guys. Any quick tips as to how much to feed a pup? some things I start training-wise right away? Thanks to everyone who posted

8. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I just went by the chart on the side of the bag that tells you how much to feed them based on age and weight. When they get older and their metabolism slows down you have to watch them because they get fat in a hurry. Different foods require different amounts, some have more of the nutrients they need so you feed them a little less (these are usually the more expensive brands like Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, etc.) We still feed ours twice a day, make sure you pick feeding times you can do consistantly. It'll help with house breaking also if you get them on a schedule. We got ours in a training class right away, at the very least it gets them well socialized. I've never trained a hunting dog but I'd imagine you want them to get used to loud noises and may want to look into a trainer who specifically trains hunting dogs. You don't want a hunting dog that freaks out or cowers everytime you take a shot...

9. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck

When you look at puppy chow, there is usually a chart on the back that will give you a good idea on how much, and how many times to feed in a day. I have a 6 month old Black Lab mixed with German Hound. She gets hyper whenever someone new walks in the house or if I get excited, other than that she is pretty tame. I have taken her camping three times now, she does great! Can't wait till she's a bit older/bigger so I can throw a pack on her :D

[​IMG]

10. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I have one of these too that we got from a rescue organization. Best dog in the world. She's got the body of the boxer and they head of a lab. Essentially she looks like a really thin black lab. Fast as hell.

11. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Depends on what food you get, go by what the bag says....get a good quality food..not puppy chow. My dogs both eat natural balance potato and duck, its really good food but it is not cheap. The local pet store and petco are the only places to get it.

First start with potty training if the dog is living inside, take it out every 2 hours or so till he gets the hang of it. Of my 2 dogs the lab mix was the hardest to train, shes as hard headed as they come...my best friend was the fieldtrainer 400. My hound mix is the smartest of the bunch, i can teach her just about anything in 5 minutes.

12. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I've just recently had to start another bird dog due to my brittney spaniel getting killed. I knew that last season was probably going to be her last year hunting (due to health problems) but I was hoping to start another dog beside her in the field. I've picked up a german shorthaired pointer and am just taking it slow and letting her be a pup first. There is some great info on this site:http://www.gundogsonline.com/video/hunting-dog-training/introducing-your-hunting-dog-to-birds.htm
    Just remember to be patient consistent.

My new girl:

[​IMG]

13. Mar 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Here are some pics of Jasmine my black lab / boxer mix. She's the best dog. I've never seen a dog so greatful and desperate to please.

My best tip if you get a lab, make sure to have plenty of tennis balls around. They even make a glow in the dark rubber type ball for the Chuck-It. It's great cause after 4 months, she still has not even put a dent in it. All of the tennis balls are worn out within a week or so.

Jasmine 1.jpg
    Jasmine 2.jpg
    Jasmine 3.jpg

14. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I have a chocolate lab. He is almost a year old and he is absolutely nuts. He has so much energy that if you are out playing with him, he literally bounces around instead of standing.

Edit: I forgot to add that he is one hell of a chewer. He chewed the aluminum dryer vent off the side of the house and he has eaten every small tree in our yard.

15. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    04trd4x4AL

04trd4x4AL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    New Market AL
    Vehicle:
    04trdDBLcab4x4
    Tint , Deck Plate, debadged, Bil 5100's set @ 2.5 up front, Bil 5100 in the rear and AAL. Diff drop. B.A.M.F brake proportioning bracket.
    I have to agree with some of the other guys. The way they act has nothing to do with color. That is all preference, find the breeder you like with some smart pups. And dont go to one that has only one pup left, you need to be around all the pups so you can see how they act with the others. Get you a good training book. Oh yeah dont be cheap.

16. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Oh yes....mine eats..string toys, bathroom cabinets, rubber chew toys, paper towels, anything in the trash can, q-tips, cat toys, pillows, plastic food bowls, sticks/small trees-shrubs, god help the grass and other stuff i am sure to be forgetting.

17. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    My parents breed and train hunting labs, and for some reason the black lab females are always the best duck hunting dogs for us. My step-dad always ended up keeping a black one. But all in all they are great hunting dogs black/yellow/chocolate will be loyal and good to you as long as they are properly trained.

18. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I love this little girl, black lab now almost 12 weeks old & her name is Kacy..

DSC04867_adb1ae3c213a27c0f680832ccd0930b132f72cec.jpg

19. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:25 AM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger [OP] 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    everyone's advice has been awesome. I got a black female. Named her "Tulee". Pics will be posted soon, she's 3 months old and has been awesome for short time ive had her.

Next question...How the HELL do I potty train her?

20. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Observation & consistency since your pup & mine are about the same age, It's frustrating as hell but with time & a little patience she'll get the idea, first I'd take note on when & where she does her business meaning from the time she eats & drinks till the big event comes after you get a gauge on this start putting her out to do her thing after feeding or if shes been inside for awhile, my pup Kacy is starting to let me know when she needs to go, its usually either barking at me for no reason (apparently there is a reason) or just getting my attention by sitting there intensely staring me down....:eek::eek::D

She still makes a mistake here & there but shes getting better about it everyday, & the mishaps shes had recently is more my fault than hers ( by me ignoring her signals to me) Its patience & consistency though that'll get you both thru it... good luck..;)

Products Discussed in

To Top