1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dog Bite

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Superx2, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    I agree with paintdiddy. Also try to interact with her until you find out what made her bite, when you find whatever that was you can try to correct it. But definitely separate or keep a very close eye on your child with the dog until he's older. Just my opinion.

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Sharpie

Sharpie Ready to travel

Member:
    South TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Sport 4x4 M/T Pyrite
    Exactly. Keep the dog and keep the kid, but keep them supervised. I've heard more than one story about a dog brought to the vet to be killed because it bit a kid and they found out WHY. One dog had a pencil shoved in its ear, another had a ruptured testicle from where the kid accidentally stepped on it. Sounds like this is a clear case of you parents being at fault for leaving a perfectly normal toddler alone with a perfectly normal dog.

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    gpend5.7sport

gpend5.7sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport
    too damn many
    i understand the love you got for the dog my family was in the same situation when i was younger. our golden who was 8 growled at me and was about to attack when my dad threw the dog across the room after that it got the message dont mess with me but she did kill one of our other dogs just over a bowl of dogfood after that we had to give her away, sorry man no second chances for dogs imo i know i come from a different personally set that most people would call harsh but its just the way we are and if a dog bites a kid in my eyes it needs to be killed, but most will say send her to a rescue but DO NOT send her to the pound, all they are going to do is euthenize them and with how i see the world you need to put it down yourself if the dog is going to be put down better your hand doing it than a random person. im not just saying this either if my dog even looks cross at a child i will (and have) beat the piss out of it. she actually bit the kid (and drew blood not just a nip) she would be good as dead, it would kill me but i cannot let an aggressive animal live near others. also take into account your kids personality and if he would do something enough to provoke an attack, putting weight wrong on the dog wouldnt cause it to attack bad enough for stitches nip the kid maybe, most dogs would just run away.

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Completely unrealistic. My kid goes a mile a minute and I don't spend every minute watching his every move. Same for the dogs.
    If you have to change a habit pattern due to a concern that it might happen again- Something is wrong.

5. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    I work at UPS and customers are always saying that there dog wont bite. The last time i heard that i was mauled by the dog and lost 3 days work because of it.Dont take a chance find a new home for the dog.

6. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    x2

7. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    gpend5.7sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    too damn many
    dont gotta patronize me , not one of MY dogs is aggressive, every single dog that was my dog that i trained did not and does not bite and im on my 5th dog since i was kid. i am the definition of a good dog owner. and i said if they did more than a nip freakin read for christ's sake.

8. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It is an animal...and it can be trained. Apparently the OPs was trained and just fine for 7 years and then she broke a pattern in a serious way. You don't screw around with that.
    You can't discipline the dog appropriately because of time passed. You can't say it was just a one time thing.
    It's a proven risk to keep an animal that has bitten. If you want to take it- Go for it- I hope that you never have to explain that you thought the first time was a fluke.

Me- I'll take the dog direct to the nearest facility to have it put down.

On a side note- Lets not get pissy gents...It's the internet- Not worth it.

9. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    TacoMatt02

TacoMatt02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 double cab
    Not getting pissy, i just feel that if people don't want to take the risk of what the dog is capable of doing, they shouldn't have one. Everybody has their own opinions and I respect them. This is mine. :)

10. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    gpend5.7sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    too damn many
    sorry but tender subject for me ill drop it

11. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    TacoMatt02

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 double cab
    sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to.

12. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I get you- but where does that logic stop?? Do you not own a car because you might get in an accident?? Or own/rent a home cause it might burn down??
    At some point you accept a level of risk...When something in the equation changes...You have to re-evaluate the risk.

13. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    TacoMatt02

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 double cab
    I definitely understand, but personally I'd give my dog another chance. My dog has accidentally nipped me numerous times while playing with his toys and getting things out of his mouth, where if it were a young child im sure it would have drawn blood. I guess I can't put myself in his shoes though because I don't have a child.

14. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    Thats a puppy man, puppies are snippy by nature and yet to be trained. They require more attention and should be crated when kids are around and cant be under direct supervision. An adult dog is diffrent, patterns are set and they are mature. An adult dog biting is diffrent than a puppy and sadly unacceptable. I love my pup more than most people but I would have to find another home for her if I had kids, or put her down

15. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    ok a dog raised by a mid 20-30 person without kids is diffrent than one raised with a family. Allie (my pup) jumps on me, wrestles and plays rough. Its ok with me but if I had kids it would not be. I do not allow her around kids without my supervision and me being withing arms reach. It has never been an issue and she is very gentle with little ones and seems to understand but I am aware I raised her in a diffrent enviorment. I wonder how many said give the dog another chance dont have little ones. I would understand their answer then. But with a kid no

16. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    DaveS

DaveS Member

Member:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport + Leather
    Not sure how things work in the US but in Canada a dog bite like the one you describe usually gets reported and public health get involved. They check firstly that the dog is up to date on rabies shots - if it is not it's quarantine for the dog and observation or a series of painful shots for the person bitten. Either way the question of what to do with the dog is a discussion between the owner and the authorities.

If a child is involved there is a risk child services may also become involved.

17. Mar 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    guys, again thanks for all the feed back. like i said before, my wife and i are gonna need to "soul search" and make our decision. i appreciate it!

18. Mar 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Many dogs assert dominance. 'trievers too. Giving it another chance is good, but its no good unless you try some training for the dog and perhaps the kid (make the kid dog savvy) .
    Doggy has to learn thier place. From what ive seen retievers are a surprise biter, everyone believes they are all friendly, to owner with food , yea theyre nice. They they bite kids often, adults to a lesser degree.
    Our first retriever we had bit me 3x, not that i was a dog trainer , but I'd retaliate with a news paper and grabbing its muzzle till it learned. I was 9 yrs old.
    2 big reasons they bite , "its thier food" , or kids teasing em.

19. Mar 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Sixfeathers

Sixfeathers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab
    Led lights: Replaced Bulbs in front,Fog Light modification, Westin Nerf Bars, TS mod,
    My neighbors St.Bernard opend my china nd face and they put her down immediatly. With dogs we must remeber although they are passive and calm they are wild at heart. Glad the child is ok, He will be afraid of doge for a while. Good luck with the dog and the baby.

20. Mar 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    today he was running around like nothing happened. he went to give the dog a hug, and i didnt know what to do and before i gould do anything jakob was going the other way looking for a new task. he deffinetly is not scared of the dog, but gonna have to keep a closer eye on them two. dont take things for granted and dont EVER assume that nothing will happen. (that would be a good sig)

Products Discussed in

To Top