1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I don't know what to do with my life, lol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Who Dat Popcorn, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn [OP] Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Currently I'm attending college in a Pre-pharmacy program. I attend VCU, and also work in a pharmacy so I'm getting a feel for the career. Problem is...it's not what I want to do. I'm only in it for the money, but after working in the Pharmacy for 7 months, I can assure you, I do not see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

I've always wanted to be involved in Law enforcement since I was young. Though I have no experience in the field...I kinda want to become a state trooper. Anyone have any advice on what it takes to become one? I've already looked at Virginia's requirements and whatnot, and it doesn't look too bad. Can someone with no experience become one? lol. I don't care if the pay isn't great, or I might die on the job...I've always wanted to be a police officer. It's just that my entire life I've been told what I SHOULD be. (Being from the middle east, your parents always expect you to do something medical). I could be a pharmacist if I wanted, but I would not be happy doing that for the rest of my life.

Now the hard part will be telling my parents I'm not going to Pharmacy school after college, lol.

/end rant

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Dude do what makes you happy, not your parents. Lots of people get into a career for the money and end up hating it. I'm trying to avoid it but it is tempting so I know how you feel. You'll figure it out :thumbsup:

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    Sit your parents down and tell them exactly what you just said, it's not something you want to do and you know you wouldn't be happy. I would bet they would understand. Better that you tell them now than in a couple years right?

4. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    Law enforcement in my eyes is the one of the most rewarding careers out there. Obviously, it comes it flaws. You see the worst of the worst on the streets. Its the most fun I've experienced.

I HIGHLY suggest doing multiple ride alongs with your local PD and state department. It gives a you strong idea of what it is about. I know a few a deputies/officers who didn't have experience pre-academy. If this is something you were to be serious about, you'd be good to go. However, many (including myself) have had up to 6-7 years of experience be pre-academy. (Junior programs/Cadet etc.)

My advice, GO DO A RIDE ALONG, then of course PM me how it went :)

Good Luck!

5. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    youre in the same position i was in not too long ago. i was going to school for architectural engineering...wasn't feeling it, and i finally said screw it and switched to what really made me happy. i've only got 1yr of criminal justice classes under my belt and landed a correctional officer job that i start on monday. not LE, but i figured i had to get my foot in the door somehow. i know to be LE here you need at least 60 credits of something, so if you've got that i'd just start applying everywhere, never know who may hire you. theres a few trooper positions open here that start you as an intern then once you finish the program you become a trooper, you could look into something like that

6. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Yes ^ Forgot to mention, agencies prefer degress in administration of justice and/or business.

7. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    just a question how do you do ride alongs?

8. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I have a friend who is a pharm. He wrote on another forum about "stories from behind the counter". That was some of the funniest shit I have ever read. Really. Of course when the guy broke his collar bone, he went on a donut tour--he was bored and not working.

I guess I'm of the opinion if you don't see yourself doing this long term and would rather do something else, do it. There is nothing worse than being 20 years into a career you hate.

9. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Depending on the agency, finance, computer science and other areas of special interest are sought after.

10. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Go into your local station and ask how you can do a ride along. Easy as that.

11. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    yep, you just gotta fill out a few pieces of paper and they hook you up with an officer

12. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I was in sort of a similar situation. Dad was in the AF for 23 years and up until my freshman year of college, the plan was to go to college then be an officer in the AF. Backup to summer between jr year and sr year of college and I went to the academy in Colorado and had a taste of what it was like. I was not too fond of it but that was the plan so I stuck to it. Freshman year of college I decided I wanted to join the Marines instead. Got hooked up with my local OSO and have not looked back. When I told the parents Mom cried and wouldnt talk to me for like 4 days because she said I was going to get shot and dad just said atleast its not the Coast Guard. But now they are proud of me and have accepted it.

On May 20 i ship out for my second session of PLC and then will be commissioned upon graduation of college. I couldnt be happier or more excited. Basically, just do what you want and they will come around

13. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    Junebug McQuinn

Junebug McQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Pre-Runner
    Trust me, life sucks when you have a job you don't like. Hopefully your parents will support you. You got to live your life and make your own decisions, don't go down the wrong path just to please someone else. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

14. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    sorry for the thread jack but ive been trying to get into some sort of law enforcement as well in az and since the border being so close and all i decided to apply for the border patrol and ive passed everything and had to go to tucson for some interviews and all that crap and then i get a call from a guy i met and he found out that the border patrol doesnt have enough money to continue with the medical screening and crap for new applicants so... yeah im still stuck at my shitty job but hopefully they can get my application straightened out

Products Discussed in

To Top