1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soon to be our new toy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Charli, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Sep 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    Charli

Charli [OP] Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Notice the "t" is not capitalized. We looked and looked and have not been able to find a suitable older Taco to mod the crap out of--the ones in our price range are just not in good shape. Either that or they are in BFE. We also decided that the expense of moding one Taco was enough and set about looking for an older Jeep instead (MUCH cheaper to mod and tons of stuff available--which leaves more money to mod my Taco :D ). We were looking for a stock-ish Wrangler but found this one instead, so after an interesting over-two-hundred-mile trip one way with the kids that should have only been a one hundred and thirty mile trip, including getting lost both ways with an unplanned trip to Michigan for about five minutes, we crawled all over (literally) this baby and will be picking it up next weekend if all goes right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1990 YJ with hard top (not shown) and some of the pricier mods already done--lift, wheels, tires, paint job, 4-cyl 5-speed manual re-geared so that it MOVES! Still plenty left to play with though!

At one point during the endless driving and getting lost in the countryI turned to Hubby and said, "I'm not sure if I want it to be great when we get there because then we will have to do this all over again next weekend, or if I want to hate it and have done all this for absolutely nothing...."

2. Sep 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    A Heep?

J/K good luck with the new toy.

3. Sep 21, 2008 at 1:48 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Awesome!!

Looks like it's in great shape!!

You checked it out thoroughly? How many miles on it?

What are your plans for it?

4. Sep 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Oh look! A toy for your taco to pull out of the mud! :laugh:

Looks good though! Hope it works out. You'll feel better about driving that into a tree than your taco! :D

5. Sep 21, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    Charli

Charli [OP] Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Yes, a heep. LOL! :D

Thanks PT! They can play tug-of-war...LOL!

Thanks Janster! It is in great shape--lotta work done on it, custom paint and bumpers, etc. Three different tops--hard, soft, bikini. But also well taken care of. It's her baby, but they need the money, and hers is the least necessary vehicle (they've got other jeeps). We crawled over it, under it, drove it, the whole nine yards--it has a few issues, but mostly cosmetic, some surface rust on the chrome bits,and interior (that tangle of wires from the stereo--stuff like that) and a bit of a spider problem due to being parked for awhile. I'm pretty sure the spiders headed for the hills during the test drive though....rofl! 147k so a bit high on the miles, but not the worst we've seen for a 1990. We wanted to make sure that we got one that Chrysler hadn't tampered with too much.

Getting it home! LOL!

Long term though mostly interior mods, maybe a few little things on the outside added. Other than that we mainly plan to have fun in it! We don't even have it yet and his buddy is already planning the first (not its, but ours in it!) mudding experience--he bought the old Cherokee that we sold to find a new, less-expensive-to-mod vehicle. He's got deeper pockets. I was miserable when hubby sold the XJ, but it went to a good home and I'm sure its very happy to be out getting moded and being in the mud instead of sitting in our front yard! We never got beyond the lift and some body work on it anyway--it had some odd issues that only lots of money would fix. Gee can you tell I'm exited by the book I wrote?! LOL! My Taco will get there too, but not until it's paid off. :rolleyes: I already told hubby that if we needed advice "Janster on TW will be the one to ask" ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top