1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

National Parks & Government Shut-down

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NYCO, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    I work in Yellowstone over the summer, anyone know how this'll affect Xanterra?

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    I thought the military is exempted? This shouldn't stop the military funding, but not 100% on that.

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Exempted does not mean paid. Military budget is yearly appropriated funds...and if the CR or an actual budget isn't passed there is no money for the DoD to pay anyone. Workers who are not essential don't get paid and don't come to work (Furloughed with little chance of getting "lost" pay). Workers who are essential don't get paid, but are still on the hook for work (Exempted with potential/certain back pay).

The Congress and President still get paid (as I understand it) because their compensation is specifically mentioned in the Constitution.

Note-This is not an official statement of any sort...Just my meager understanding of the current situation.

4. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    this part makes me mad, they cant just settle for the best of the country...

both my parents are government( FAA contractor/Army) which is gonna suck...

5. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    as far as I can tell they will not allow anyone in any of the entrance gates (with the exception of the north gate to allow access to cooke city) and all services in the park will be closed. there will be a skeleton crew of rangers on hand for emergencies.

6. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    The largest budgetary outlay for the government over the past ten years has been the Iraq/Afghanistan military operations and their subsequent effects. Bringing the troops home would put the balance sheet back to manageable terms almost by itself. Arguably more important: It would stop young Americans from being killed.

The second largest outlay has been health care costs due to this country's fucked up health care system and the fact that it pays for how much care is provided not how effective it is. Health professionals get paid more if they do a bunch of stuff that does nothing than if they provide quality care that gets you well quickly.

Fixing the American money problem is essentially fixing those two items. But it will never happen. Because the people who donate to congressional campaigns make way too much money off the MICs.

7. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    blue97taco

blue97taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Raleigh, Nc
    I hate All politicians. Im gonna stop there to prevent ranting

8. Apr 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    yeah the problem isn't republicans or democrats. the problem is democrats and republicans. they are both playing on the same team, the big State team. fuck both of them and stand up for liberty.

9. Apr 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    blacoma42

blacoma42 Member

Member:
    Joplin,MO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 4cyl
    Just got told that my weekend drill for the Army Reserves was cancelled due to the shut-down...I recognize that it is just a weekend thing for me at the moment...But where does it stop, are the soldiers overseas going to have to work for free? I guess national defense is not high priority to "them" anymore

10. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    blue97taco

blue97taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Raleigh, Nc
    None of them care about us all they care about is themselves and the rich people who pump money into their campaigns. I hear people blaming obama all the time but its the whole damn congress. theres only so much the president can do, we have to start from the ground up

11. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4

You are right that national defense is not a high priority and it hasn't been for decades. our borders are porous and we cannot prevent attacks on our own soil. but international offense, which is what we have been engaged in for many years now, is a very high priority. iraq/afghanistan/libya these countries never posed a threat to american. neither did vietnam or korea.

12. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    blacoma42

blacoma42 Member

Member:
    Joplin,MO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 4cyl
    I agree...I was in iraq for two years and while i was there i watched the news about Mexico and the drug wars. I thought to myself, why aren't we back home guarding our borders against drug smugglers and for that matter ANYBODY else who can easily penetrate the Mexican border?

13. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And here is probably a good place to remind folks that a little venting about concerns like paying a mortgage or car note is okay...but going too far afield from there can land you in trouble with big brother....specially if you are still AD or Reserves...

So PLEASE Keep the rhetoric to yourself....for your own sake.

14. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Agreed,

I'm not happy because both my wife and I are employed by the Fed's, me in the Military and my wife a GS (a hard working one at that). If the budget or another CR isn't passed we both look at missing pay. Worst case scenario we will both be without pay. Better case I still get paid an we still pay our bills and obligations. Best case, the budget gets passed and we continue on...

15. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Just a question here, if the thing doesn't get passed, and I/we don't get the money to pay our bills, should we give the companies, banks, credit unions, etc a heads up? Would they just blow us off and state "Well thats not our fault, you can't pay, you get the late fees, penalties, etc. Tough luck."

:notsure:

16. Apr 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I would absolutely call your major folks (bank, credit companies, car/house note, etc)

17. Apr 8, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    The last time this happened in 95 all non-essentials got sent home, all essentials worked. Everyone got paid in the end.
    I worked (military), some of my co-workers didn't (GS Fed employees).
    Now I'm working state working for the military & will still show up no matter what. Just glad to have a job.

18. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Same here Jude. I'm a GS-type (U.S. EPA -- one of the agency's at the heart of the debate) Last time I worked for the 21 days and got paid in the end. Everyone else got 21 days off and also got retroactive pay. I don't see this one going that way. I think we're gonna have some time off unpaid and I don't see how retroactively paying us will make anyone (aside from us) happy. We'll have to see...

19. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    This whole thing is a travesty and the slimey dogs in Congress should all be hung up by their feet and whipped.

Adding to the insult, due to all this crap, they are already falling way behind schedule in finaling the budget for 2012 as well. It is supposed to be reviewed approved and signed by the end of September and they have barely even started that process.

20. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in