Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

National Parks & Government Shut-down

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
National Parks & Government Shut-down

So i have been seeing that if the government were to shut down this weekend, the national parks would be part of the closure...so my question is....does this mean i can bring my dog on the park trails now if i find a trail that leads into national park land? i know of a couple areas bordering rocky mountain national park that allow access into the hiking trails of the park, but normally there would be park rangers that i would have to worry about giving me crap about bringing a dog on the trails...which really makes no sense to begin with...why can't i bring my dog on the trails? i used to go to RMNP half dozen times a year but now that i have a dog i make it maybe once a year...

rant over....

Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
things that will be closed and things that will remain open....

CLOSED/CEASED
No new Federal Housing Administration loans
No new approvals of Small Business Administration loans
National parks, museums and all national forests will be closed
No new patients, clinical trials at the National Institutes of Health
No IRS processing of paper tax returns or refunds; other customer services halted
Passports and visas will not be processed except in emergency circumstances
Military personnel will not receive paychecks
Personnel who normally answer Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work
Most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality
Across government, anything that requires permits probably will not be processed
OPEN/UNAFFECTED
FAA, air traffic control
Federal Emergency Management Agency disaster relief services
Social Security checks
National Weather Service weather monitoring
U.S. Postal Service continues mail pick-up and delivery
Customs and Border Protection services continue
NASA satellite monitoring continues
Food stamps continue
Federal student aid continues
FBI, Federal Marshals, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, federal prisons continue to operate

Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Unless the shutdown lasts until June, I'm ok.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post

CLOSED/CEASED
No new Federal Housing Administration loans
No new approvals of Small Business Administration loans
National parks, museums and all national forests will be closed
No new patients, clinical trials at the National Institutes of Health
No IRS processing of paper tax returns or refunds; other customer services halted
Passports and visas will not be processed except in emergency circumstances
Personnel who normally answer Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work
Most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality
Across government, anything that requires permits probably will not be processed
OPEN/UNAFFECTED
FAA, air traffic control
Federal Emergency Management Agency disaster relief services
Social Security checks
National Weather Service weather monitoring
U.S. Postal Service continues mail pick-up and delivery
Customs and Border Protection services continue
NASA satellite monitoring continues
Food stamps continue
Federal student aid continues
FBI, Federal Marshals, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, federal prisons continue to operate
What the hell....we put our lives on the line everyday for these bureaucrats and they aren't gonna pay us? But food stamps will continue?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of guys from Sedona roade mountain bikes down the Bright Angel Trail in the grand canyon during the last govt shut down. They got busted by an off duty ranger and were arrested. Bikes were confiscated and they got flown out in custody by national guard. They also had to pay for the cost of the heli ride...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
A couple of guys from Sedona roade mountain bikes down the Bright Angel Trail in the grand canyon during the last govt shut down. They got busted by an off duty ranger and were arrested. Bikes were confiscated and they got flown out in custody by national guard. They also had to pay for the cost of the heli ride...
oh wow...that's no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
^This- Just because there isn't anyone there doesn't mean you aren't breaking a rule...so if you get caught you sure can get rung up for it. It's also entirely possible you could get nailed for trespass.

yea, i guess i'd rather take a dog ticket during open hours then trespassing during closure...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
I'm disgusted with both sides. Democrats should have done this a half year ago. Obama is finally admitting the dnc is responsible for that failure, but he is campaigning already, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm all about spending cuts, but wow, what good is a bill if it isn't passing. We have a bunch of rookie tea party guys that are also causing gridlock along with democrats. I am a borderline excepted employee so I may still come into work. If it does shut down, I still don't expect to get paid despite being off if I do get furloughed...Like what happened in the nineties. It would be political suicide for politicians to allow that to happen in this toxic environment.

Here is some context of how this impact me and others I owe money too... I am renting a room and my buddy won't get $450 in rent for at least two more weeks. I owe $500 to the dentist for those Damn cavities (he's got a few employees too). I owe $150 to my other doctor. I may have to hold off on my advanced scuba class with my friends (less revenue to the dive shop). and also less money to pay down my credit cards and put me closer to buying my Tacoma. any one not believe in trickle down economics? talk to the people that I won't be getting paid if I get furloughed.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, nor pismo or gorman....fucking democrats

Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
so if this happens we won't be able to camp in a national forest during the shutdown? because nobody will be around to patrol or what?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
Hey it is just a glimpse into the future of a broke America.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
Damn, nor pismo or gorman....fucking democrats
Don't blame the Ds. Why are Tea Partiers trying to ramrod abortion clauses into an expenditure bill? Why do the Republicans keep moving the number on how much to cut? This would have been solved months or weeks ago if Reds weren't trying to pack in pet initiatives.

Not saying Democrats aren't at fault, too -- just don't paint with such a wide brush in your accusations.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
I'm supposed to be closing on my first house May 3rd with an FHA loan....

the swear words don't exist for the way this makes me feel

Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
Don't blame the Ds. Why are Tea Partiers trying to ramrod abortion clauses into an expenditure bill? Why do the Republicans keep moving the number on how much to cut? This would have been solved months or weeks ago if Reds weren't trying to pack in pet initiatives.

Not saying Democrats aren't at fault, too -- just don't paint with such a wide brush in your accusations.

Actually, he needs a wider brush. He needs to include both sides of the aisle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXpdJLJqG9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRykTpw1RQ&NR=1

Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
All security personnel will continue to work (from what I understand)

I wish that they would just make up their minds whats going on! Yellowstone is scheduled to open for the summer season on 4/15 and I ALWAYS head there on opening day...but if the closure happens then I can't get into the park!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
so if this happens we won't be able to camp in a national forest during the shutdown? because nobody will be around to patrol or what?
Actually, no.

Park lands will be closed, but there will still be security to enforce it. Camping in a closed National Park is trespassing on Federal grounds which carries a hefty fine (revenue-generating, so they keep their jobs).

Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Actually, he needs a wider brush. He needs to include both sides of the aisle.
Dammit, that's right. Wider brush. WIDER BRUSH!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #18
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post

It all comes back to ideology of each party and standing up for core beliefs and manipulating funding is a means to stop some very heated issues.

But people need.to look at the full picture and stop having tunnel vision in the blame game. That leads us to where we are now. Gridlock. We need to meet half way at least. I don't think the dems are cutting enough. But repubs need too compromise too. We need to cut where we can and call-it good. Cut along pet projects for both parties.

We also need to bump the debt ceiling enough to prevent default, but then turn the deficit around asap and pay off the debt.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
WingNut55 will become famous soon enoughWingNut55 will become famous soon enough
Air Force: Active Duty
Name: Derek
WingNut55's Tacoma Gallery
So us in the military won't get paid, but everyone on Capitol Hill will still be paid during the shutdown...rich getting richer...politicians fleecing their linings

Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
RiderOnTheStorm will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
RiderOnTheStorm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post

CLOSED/CEASED
This is bullshit. If you are putting yourself in harm's way for this country, then you better get f*cking paid. I think it's time to sharpen the pitchforks and grab the torches.

Road trip to Washington, anyone...?

Thank you to those who serve to preserve this country!

Closed Thread