1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Economy - how has it affected your career/employer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Sep 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We're all feeling the pinch just about everywhere..... What or how has the economy affected your career or your employer in terms of production, service, sales or whatever it is that you do?

Since I work in the printing business, we produce lots of magazines & catalogs that get mailed through-out. Our *customers* are feeling losses in subscribers & their reducing page counts in their magazines/catalogs (to save $$).

We rely on the postal system very heavily. Postal rates (bulk) have gone up & up, Postal regulations are getting tighter and tighter, those regulations are being enforced strictly and it's much easier to get hit with fines (big fines).

This is our busy season - yet we're not nearly as busy as we usually are at this time. Our company has gone through a wave of layoffs again. They normally do this once a year anyway. This year...it's happened a few times already. They've started laying off hourly employees (office people) - which is usually very rare. I'm probably in one of the safest jobs to be in that I'm on the production floor and work on the equipment - but nobody is truely safe.

That's what I've been seeing from my small part of the world. There's probably a lot more going on that I'm totally unaware of (and probably don't wanna know).

2. Sep 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    Mz_TazComa

Mz_TazComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 D-Cab TRD Sport LB
    I'm out of work almost 4 months now...need I say more?

I "was" an IT project manager in a major law firm in Manhattan. I started to work right out of high school and never went to college. Worked my way up the ladder to my last job but now, because I don't have a piece of paper that says "BS", they don't even want to read my resume.

3. Sep 27, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    luckily, I didn't have many stocks to lose. The only thing that is putting a hurt on me is that my office relocated and now I'm spending an extra $400 per month on gas.

4. Sep 27, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I can't lose money I don't have......same deal with a job.

5. Sep 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    My job seems to be secure for now.I work for a large chemical company, and they are spending millions upgrading plants all over North America. My 401K has taken a pretty good hit lately. I'm 52 and had always said I would retire before I was 60, but now I really doubt that will happen.

6. Sep 27, 2008 at 5:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Working for the military has it's benefits- I know I'll have a job for a while- Good Bad or Otherwise-Signing a contract is a bane and a boon. But watching the work I've done to save for retirement and making the payments on the things I owe is an eye opener.

I've watched alot of my friends from high school and college that have been in a bad way for a while now...and there is no real end in sight either.

7. Sep 27, 2008 at 6:29 PM
    Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 x 4
    Bed mat, seat cover.
    Although I retired a year or so ago, I hear the newspaper where I worked has slashed raises and 'played around' with the health benny. Former fellow employees are not happy. There is talk of no raises in 09. (A friend calls with updates to remind me I did the right thing!)...for once! LOL.

8. Sep 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Me and Silver06TRD went boating today. LOTS of boats on the water. In fact, more than I have seen in a few years. Is there a "resession" going on? :confused:

9. Sep 27, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    ^^ funny, i work on yachts for a living and seems that we are still pretty busy. the smaller 52' and under boats have slowed down in production but the 54" and above are still selling really well. but then again i guess it all comes to do to how much money you have...

10. Sep 27, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    True. I have 3 friends that have bought boats over the last month. All much larger than 30'.

11. Sep 27, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I was in the design-build-land developing industry and sold my business just before the s**t hit the fan. It hit a few years ago but has taken the govt. awhile to figure it out. Because of the downturn, the company has been unable to make full payments to me as per our contract...bummer!!

I wish the best through these times for all you younger folk, you've never had the experience of an economic recession. I still have SS and the VA at least, and my wife is a dear, she's younger than me (a hottie) and still works.

12. Sep 27, 2008 at 9:41 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    I live in Alberta Canada and we are not feeling the pinch like you guys are south of our border, but it is coming. New housing starts are down 50% from last year and the real estate market is flat. Still lots of commercial construction happening though. Funny how when things are good it is like being drunk, you never think of the hangover the next day!

13. Sep 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Raise? What's that?

The only form of raises that we get aren't *performance* related. We'll get an 'infation' related pay increase that everyone gets. Last year was 2% of your yearly income. Hell - the way this economy is going, we should see a good hefty inflation increase this year!! Yeah right.....I'll believe that when I see it. It's better than nothing. Everyone talks about wanting to get outta this place....but in reality, you'll be moving yourself yet another company that will eventually do the same.

MzTazComa,
    I have a college degree, and I work in a factory!! I'm not even doing what I went to school for. Having a college degree doesn't mean squat. Employers use that as an excuse when they can't come up with a ligitimate one.

14. Sep 28, 2008 at 12:37 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the airforce is out of gas...

15. Sep 28, 2008 at 12:45 AM
    jrukus

jrukus jason r

Member:
    queen charlotte islands
    Vehicle:
    black '08 trd tacoma
    285/70/17r tires on stock rims, sirius radio
    I live on the Northcoast of BC and I work in the forest industry as a bucker and I've already been laid-off 4 times this year because the lumber markets aren't doing as well as they could. Probably has a lot to do with the housing situation down there in the states 'cause you guy's were primary buyers of our Canadian lumber. The real crappy thing is that the majority of the island I live on works in the forest industry and Western Forest Products is shutting us all down in a month for who knows how long!

16. Sep 28, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    TacoSter

TacoSter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    I started with 13 engineers at our location. Last December layoffs had us @ 3 pulling the same workload. Last month, I was cut loose after 30 yrs of service. Now they have 2.
    Corporate loyalty does not mean shit anymore... moral learned? If you can screw your company... just do it before they do it to you!

17. Sep 28, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 x 4
    Bed mat, seat cover.

18. Sep 28, 2008 at 8:01 AM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    I work for a company that makes generators and for a while thing were looking really bleak.
    The past 4 months have been really good for us though. Sales have been way up due to all the hurricanes, so Ive been working a lot of overtime.
    Im trying to be careful how I spend my money though. Im enjoying all the overtime now, but Im working to pay off as much debt as I can, so that if things get slow again I wont have to worry as much about money.

19. Sep 28, 2008 at 8:04 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    work goes up when the economy goes down for me

stupid people tend to steal what they cant afford and think they need

plus tensions are high

20. Sep 28, 2008 at 8:55 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    well, apparently, there won't be a drop in production, because when you are in the health care field, you really don't worry about job loss, just how busy it gets. I need to look at my investments, what is left of them anyway. :eek::eek::eek: I ahve said it before and I will say it again, health care and law enforcement are two jobs that will always have a calling, because there will always be crime, and there will always be sick people.

Products Discussed in

To Top