Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

View Poll Results: manual or automatic?
manual transmission 371 59.84%
automatic transmission 249 40.16%
Voters: 620. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #221
HarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HarryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic. How else am I going to eat my sushi takeout with chopsticks.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #222
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznutx View Post
drove a manual sports car for 4yrs, i now have an automatic, traffic sucks in a stick, couldnt bring myself to go through that again, maybe if i moved, but those windy hilly roads were the best in manual though
Yeah, I hope to buy a cheap car that gets good mileage with a stick, but can still perform well, thinking on a older Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or Ford Focus. In traffic though it does not bother me much yet, but I agree, sometimes it is just nice to get in my dad's '10 Honda Accord and just cruise through the traffic.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #223
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Owned a lot of cars and trucks 90% manual but, as of now I prefer automatic.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #225
Mark Washington is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Mark Washington's Tacoma Gallery
Manual cause I wouldnt be able to attemp to tow like I do, or get the gas milage I get, or slow down with the gears, and thats two more gears I get since I use compound low the minute I need 4x4. If I had lower gears and a posi I wouldnt use 4x4 1/4 of the time. Thank god for auto hubs in my case. I have a 5 speed extra cab 4x4 v6 3.4 on 35'' tires with stock gears and a welded rear diff. I have 4:88 in mind very soon. Didnt think the 35's would make it suck so much since I had 33s for so long with no issues at all, but now I have a faster crawling speed and I have blown up too many sets of front struts and my hole front end trying to fly up knarley stuff.
I dont mind going slower on the freeway and launching off the line better. I am thinking Yukon R&P and any locker I have the cash for. Around $300.00 is what I am hoping to get a decent posi for. Not the best but somthing that gets the job done. I regret welding my rear diff till the second it rains or I hit dirt, then its on.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #226
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
If I could drive a manual I'd rather have one. I get so tired of going around 55mph and then it downshifts into 4th gear, speed up to 60-65 to get it to go back into 5th...
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #227
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
If I could drive a manual I'd rather have one. I get so tired of going around 55mph and then it downshifts into 4th gear, speed up to 60-65 to get it to go back into 5th...
you don't have 5th gear
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #228
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
you don't have 5th gear
Right... I think that's a sign that I need to go to bed haha

Time to edit that post!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #229
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Right... I think that's a sign that I need to go to bed haha

Time to edit that post!
lol
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #231
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
I would rather do a fluid and filter once in a while than do a clutch, PP, and TO. bearing. I call it LESS maint. over the life of the vehicle.
I can see that, I didn't think about the clutch

Although a decent driver can easily make a clutch last 200k or more.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #232
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I can see that, I didn't think about the clutch

Although a decent driver can easily make a clutch last 200k or more.
Agreed I have seen factory clutches last 300 k in some rigs nothing beats the factory equipment and OEM clutches never last as long
Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #233
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoy a Manual, but since my truck is my DD and as many hills and traffic around here, it is alot less enjoyable to drive.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #234
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i think it totally depends on the type of vehicle and what kind of driving you do.

for a dedicated off road rig - a manual no question. don't have to worry about overheating issues like an auto either. more control, too.

for a daily driver, a little harder to answer. sports car no question a manual. for a commuter in traffic to work, auto.

i've driven manuals my whole life, but just reached a point now where both vehicles i drive are automatics. maybe i'm just gettin old!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #237
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
maybe I am missing something here. How does one have "more" control with a manual trans.
You don't .

That's a perception of people that think you have to leave the truck in D and hope for the best .
Old 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #238
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
The only thing I don't like about having a stick and being in SF, is that people feel they have to stop right at your tail for fear of someone else cutting in front of them.

Yesterday I was on a curvy uphill freeway on ramp that had a lot of traffic. Stop and go a car length at a time. The guy behind me stopped so close that I swore I was going to hit him when proceeding. I first learned to drive in a stick so having the knowledge and ability was not the problem. It was him stopping less than a foot away EACH TIME that irked me.
give you huge credit for driving a stick in sf, been there and all i know is if there was anyone within 8ft on some of those hills it would be cause for concern, i've seen a few fenderbenders that happened in the way you describe and it seems it always sides with the person in front as long as there's a witness. haha next time just let ur foot off the brake and tap the person that rides you!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #239
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Approaching a great looking truck and seeing a stick shift just makes it that much better.
I like controlling gears, it's more "automatic" for me to shift on my own than worry with the truck throwing into lower gears or too tall of gears.

If they introduced a stick shift that operated like an Automatic when accelerating in first gear but acted as a manual through the gears, it would be a huge hit.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #240
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You don't .

That's a perception of people that think you have to leave the truck in D and hope for the best .
not true in all cases. when i had my jeep, it came with a 6 speed manual. the auto was only 4 speed. in addition, first gear in the manual was more like a granny gear, you don't get that option with any auto i've ever driven. i could drive in a rock garden in 1st gear (with the transfer case in high, or low) and not touch the accelerator, and proceed ever so slowly over each and every rock. the ratio was different with the auto, no way you could have done the same thing.

that's why i said you have more control with a manual. it's not just a perception, at least, not when the manual has more gears than the auto.