1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 2004TacomaSR5, May 3, 2011.

?

manual or automatic?

1. manual transmission

60.5%
  2. automatic transmission

39.5%
  1. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
  2. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    bamma

bamma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Current: 2011 Land Cruiser
    [/QUOTE So what kind of MPG are you getting with your auto?[/QUOTE]

I get about 17 in town and if I drive all freeway I get about 21mpg (My last road trip I set cruise control at 82 mph and over 4 fill ups I averaged 21.4).

3. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 [OP] Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    It is to some extent, but as I have noticed with time and age, the quality of OEM parts goes down. When everything was put together on the assembly line, there were certain criteria to be fullfilled by the workers and they make sure that everything is done right.

With rigs like my old 78 Bronco for example, most parts I get for it are the ones that are taken apart, and re-assembled in Mexico.
    To give you an idea, before the 90s hit it would typically cost around $1500 dollars to rebuild the front end in a F-series pickup made from 73-79 with the real OEM parts from Ford. The steering box would be delivered to your parts store (along with tie rods and other steering components if you needed them), and you would have to assemble the steering box your own.
    The reason I use this anology is because my Bronco is currently undergoing a "new" steering box swap. I got the box in last Saturday, and it claimed to be OEM, but looking closer at the package it was taken apart, and reassembled with rebuilt factory parts in Mexico. The whole thing only cost me $180, not counting the core return credit once I return the old steering box to the parts store, then off it goes to Mexico to undergo a revitalization of rebuilt factory parts, then will be shipped off to another parts store supplier somewhere.

Tacomas are still really new, so these types of things happening in the near future are a long ways off! Just saying, enjoy the real factory parts while they last! On a Toyota they should for many years, just like my old Bronco. In the 70s a F-series pickup or Bronco could not be matched as far as durability went, and when gas was 70 cents a gallon people had a heyday!

4. Dec 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    I get about 17 in town and if I drive all freeway I get about 21mpg (My last road trip I set cruise control at 82 mph and over 4 fill ups I averaged 21.4).[/QUOTE]

Im getting 18 to 19 combo city/hwy....all hwy would be close to your all hwy MPG . ....I am driving a 6spd.
    I get what a lot of you dont like, but its all personal preference . There are times in bumper to bumper traffic that sure takes the fun of a stick out of it and can even be a PITA. Im not in that kind of traffic on a daily basis and my taco is not my daily driver. If it were, I would have wanted auto trans for sure. But when I get in my taco, I love being more in control of the shifting and like others said, it is more fun to drive.

5. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    bamma

bamma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Current: 2011 Land Cruiser
    Im getting 18 to 19 combo city/hwy....all hwy would be close to your all hwy MPG . ....I am driving a 6spd.
    I get what a lot of you dont like, but its all personal preference . There are times in bumper to bumper traffic that sure takes the fun of a stick out of it and can even be a PITA. Im not in that kind of traffic on a daily basis and my taco is not my daily driver. If it were, I would have wanted auto trans for sure. But when I get in my taco, I love being more in control of the shifting and like others said, it is more fun to drive.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, I'd prefer a manual as well, but after I test drove it, it was out of the question. My combo mileage is always at 19+, the EPA rates the auto as getting better mileage as well due to the gear ratios. Gear one is too low imo and gear six is too low too. I even thought about going Nissan b/c I wanted a manual, but didn't like the frontier at all.

If I bought a 4 banger, I probably would have gone for the 5 spd manual (I'd have to test drive) but the 6 spd shifts really weird and when I pressed in the clutch the RPMs went up instead of down. WTF. I hear the ECM fixes this after a while, but I'm not going to buy a new truck that drives like the manual did.

I wish I still had my 99 tacoma manual. That was a good truck.

6. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.

7. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    apierce7565

apierce7565 I eat terrorism and crap freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 standard
    ARB Safari snorkel, snug top, snug rug, yakima rack bars, ARB front bumper, plasti-dip camper shell windows, sway bar removal, turn signal reposition, led dome lights, recon smoke roof cab lights, 8000k xenon HIDs, 5100 Billy coilovers and rear shocks, tundra leafs, 3 inch lift rear shackles, 315/75-16 Bfg km2, 16"/8" Eagle Alloy 100 series black wheels, grey wire mod, deckplate mod, diff breather mod, Rola roof rack with tire carrier, trimmed front and rear fenders
    yea i have a 2004 3.4L manual i just feel offroading it doesnt put out as much power as it should

8. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Do you have proper gearing? I love how much power my 3.4 manual has :confused:

9. Dec 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    If you don't want someone to borrow your truck--Like wife or girlfriend--get a stick.
    If you are old and lazy--get an auto.
    IMO much better control w/ manual-especially in snow or sticky situations.

10. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OMG

11. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    That's me, old & lazy

12. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Explain how you have more control

13. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    x2...the chance of dropping the clutch or engaging at a too high of an rpm and spinning (like on snow) in an automatic is zero...how much better control of slipping and spinning on snow can you have than zero percent chance of a screw up? now technical trails and rocky shit ill give it to the manual, but just by a hair. i see a much more noticeable benefit to "manuals" vs automatics on more specific off road vehicles, like dirt bikes

14. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    we've already been over this. Driving a manual means you have a large penis, meaning you are more manly and therefore a better driver.

15. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    lol. I honestly don't like them because they're boring to me. Simple as that. One is not better than the other in a light truck.

16. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Well I've had my auto for nearly 2 years now. It's the first auto I've had since I drove my mom's 72 Ford Torino wagon in high school. But from 18 to 39, every car I had was a stick, and I thought I was a manual guy for life for all the same reasons people keep bringing up in this thread.

I really wanted a stick in my Taco too, but I hated that the manual gets worse MPG now (WTF Toyota) and of the 2 transmissions, it's the 6-speed with the problems (again WTF Toyota). So I went with an auto ... though I wasn't fully sold on it at the time. And 2 years in ...I gotta say I'm a convert. I love it.

And no, it's not because I got lazy or have a small dick or am old (even if all those things are true. :)). I can admit that I was one of those guys who bashed autos ... but mostly understood nothing about them, or the benefits a well designed auto provide. Like hill starting on snowy slopes in 2wd without breaking free. Or crawling out of the garage when it's icy without having to feather a clutch (we don't have much room for error). Or off roading ... eliminating the stalls and the rollbacks makes it a much more pleasurable experience IMO.

In the end, it IS all a matter of personal preference. But preferences change. I will say I still prefer a stick in the Subaru (or any small vehicle or truck for that matter). If I went with a 1st gen, I'd probably go with the stick. But in the 2nd gen V6, don't knock the auto until you've tried it. There are a lot of converts on here.

17. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    stick for the car and auto for the truck, it makes traffic and backing the trailer easier. I love the sporty feel in the car though

18. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    It's not about starting from a stop. It's about when you're in motion you can control what gear you are in, therefore can control how much power actually reaches the rear wheels. You can also engine brake the vehicle by downshifting. Unless you're on pure ice, starting from a stop with a manual isn't going to make any difference. Unless maybe if you don't know how to drive stick.

19. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    That's an oversimplification. With how good modern automatics work (late 2000's through present), yes that's true. But for old cars from the 90's and older, that's just not the case.

20. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    06TACOFIREMAN

06TACOFIREMAN BaNgArAnG

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD offroad
    toytec 2in lift, 2nd gen trd offroad wheels, yakima roof rack, tool box, magnaflow muffler in the mail
    in my truck an auto but i refuse to own a car that isnt manual haha

Products Discussed in

To Top