1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 2004TacomaSR5, May 3, 2011.

?

manual or automatic?

1. manual transmission

60.5%
  2. automatic transmission

39.5%
  1. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    squatnbear

squatnbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TX pro MGM
    I got hurt when I served in the Marines so an auto is really only way to go for me that is. Manual is fun but I can only do it for so long. Also traffic is a bitch with a manual.

2. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    And not one still retains their Man Card. :p

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    you can downshift an auto and engine brake.

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    i believe starting from a stop is a very important aspect of driving, considering you probably do it 20 times a day atleast

how can i not control how much power goes to the wheels with an auto...and like i said unless you are doing serious off roading/crawling when is the fact that you can leave the tranny in 1st and rev the shit out of it important for normal driving
    also i can down shift in an auto, its how you slow down going down mountains

everyone has shitty shifts/starts now and then, unless you have an auto, in which case its perfect each time

its been repeated 100 times before, but in a fast car, manual no question, it is just faster. but in a truck "fast" is not the main priority

5. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    This here is simply not true whatsoever.
    !/4 mile cars, for instance, use autos or in/out-direct because a human shifting is not fast enough.
    Book it.

Buyers of fast, sporty cars often want to drive as opposed to just steer them.

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 [OP] Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    :stayontopic:

Getting a little off topic guys, I dont want to hear a bunch of arguing over which is better, just what you prefer to drive!

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Motorcycles are the only manual I will drive. I find the layout on a bike a hell of alot easier and fun with a manual.

Vehicles on the otherhand, get a big ole' Hell No from me when it comes to manual transmissions. I hate driving them, and i hate having to spend forever learning a normal clutch.

Now, if vehicles had slipper clutches, I would feel more inclined towards them.

I loved my Aprilia, especially the RSV4 i got to fart around with for a bit. I loved how the engine would advance the timing on itself, essentially adding a spark gap, to adjust rpms for the gear shift. It made it light years faster to shift gears. I didnt even have to toucch the clutch to pop the gear, and the engine would do the rest of the work. Not having to fully disengage the clutch to shift, FTW

8. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I can control what gear I am in with my auto .

I still don't get it .

9. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thank you

10. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Dood, did you really think that a topic like this lends itself to good behavior and disciplined, M or A answers ?

:D

11. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

Welcome to TW

12. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I guess I'm old and lazy then...:rolleyes:

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Where is option "both"?

My Miata has a 5speed and a torsen differential, as they all should be. My Taco is an auto. Why? I'd rather have a 5speed Taco, but the reality is that my lifestyle includes a bunch of activities that provide me the opportunities to wear a cast on a broken injured limb, several times a year. As such an auto is indispendable to get to work when injured...

*Trail running, off-road/ mntn biking, bouldering, rock climbing, snow skiing...

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Not really, unless you're vehicle has a torque converter lock up clutch (most do nowdays), and it's locked, it's not going to work as well as in a manual. Torque converter lock up clutches normally are only engaged when cruising on the highway in one of your top gears above at least 40 or 50. I'm sure that's different for many super large trucks though as you can sometimes manually control the lockup clutch and engine brake whenever you want. The viscous coupling of a torque converter allows the engine and trans to rotate at different speeds, whereas in a manual there is a direct mechanical connection.

I'm never said it wasn't important, I was saying that starting from a stop is not where you have more control with a manual. That being said with a properly functioning clutch and suspension, it is very very easy to start these trucks from a stop nearly just as smooth as an automatic when you try to.

Putting words in my mouth. I never said you couldn't do it with an auto, I was saying that it's just BETTER with a manual trans so long as you don't have that drive by wire bullshit.

No actually it's a very rare occurance for people who know how to drive a manual. And when it does happen, it's only ever because at that moment you really just don't give a shit. And older automatics shifting perfect every time? What a joke. Newer ones in great condition do, but not older ones.

That's actually not always true even when comparing traditional manual and automatic transmissions. It all depends on what kind of driving you're talking about, and whether your car is limited by power or traction. For most of the cars on the road today, yes that is true.

Dual clutch automatics are probably faster than traditional manuals in a majority of applications.

15. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    So when I down shift to 4th or 3rd going down a hill , I'm not engine braking ?

16. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    You are, just not as efficiently as a manual.
    The newer slushboxes are better at this.

17. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Explain how it's not as efficient

18. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Just curious, does anyone know if the torque converter fully locks when you downshift, and stay locked till about 1k RPM? That is the only way it would be as efficient as a manual at engine braking.

19. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    You're compressing fluid to hold (lock) the gear as opposed to the direct gear engagement of the manual.
    For the same reason manuals are inherently more fuel efficient (I know, the Taco 6 speed). Power has to be expended to compress fluid to shift gears.

Again, the modern autos are much better at engine braking. The gap has narrowed.

20. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Actually the auto Tacoma gets better mileage than the 6 speed

Products Discussed in

To Top