Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

View Poll Results: manual or automatic?
manual transmission 371 59.84%
automatic transmission 249 40.16%
Voters: 620. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Auto because i'm not good with a manual ><. Most people say if you can ride a motrocycle/quad, you can drive a stick. . . not true lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I guess the other manual vs auto threads weren't good enough.

I chose auto for my truck because I drive in traffic every day, most manual trucks have shitty transmissions and I waw tired of driving a manual for the past 6 years. Pretty much all modern autos give you full control of the gears anyway. I will get another manual if I get a small car or sports car.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic.....never learned to drive manual.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #24
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
X2 unfortunately manuals are becoming a rare species due to all the lazy asses that would rather text/talk/eat while driving. What a shame, manuals are a lot more fun to drive, the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.
Stereotypes are fun.

Are F1 drivers lazy with there semi-auto transmissions? Can you drive better than them?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.
Dumbest phrase of the day?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Biggest fact of the day!! Manual drivers don't have time for distractions like others.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #27
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billyson
TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Just traded in my '07 Access with a 6 spd after over 20 yrs with on a stick. Traded for a 2011 double cab LB with auto. I was worried I would miss the stick and was my only real hesitation with the change.

Not missing the stick at all so far, to be honest...especially in traffic. Haven't really wheeled with the auto yet though, so time will tell. I voted stick based on my history.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i believe so, yes.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #30
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer a manual for the extra control you have with it and feel like i'm more connected to the vehicle with a manual. I even converted my GF. Til she was with me she had never driven a manual, but we went and bought a 03 Tacoma w/ 5 speed manual and now that she's used to it, she doesnt want to own and automatic ever again.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #31
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
those polls are closed lol and i never looked in those forums, only in the off topic discussion where i thought that they would be found
Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #32
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
.... the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
i believe so, yes.
Yep!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #33
Banned
Quote:
Biggest fact of the day!! Manual drivers don't have time for distractions like others.
Manual equipped vehicles don't have radios, cell phones or food in them?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #34
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I spend about 35 minutes of my 50 minute commute on the highway. From shortly after I enter the highway until I exit, the truck is in 5th gear (5spd) and I have plenty of time to be distracted if I allow myself to be...

TacomaBuzz...what are you buzzed on??
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #35
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
yeah seriously? . . . one of my best friends and also my older brother are the best "drivers" i know. ever since i was 16 ive never been afraid to ride with them anywhere, anytime. and 99% of the time ive rode with both of them was in a automatic vehicle. i know plenty of people that drive stick that understand the science of it no more than - clutch, 1st, gas, clutch 2nd, gas, etc that scare the shit out of me and have no idea what they are actually doing.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
yeah seriously? . . . one of my best friends and also my older brother are the best "drivers" i know. ever since i was 16 ive never been afraid to ride with them anywhere, anytime. and 99% of the time ive rode with both of them was in a automatic vehicle. i know plenty of people that drive stick that understand the science of it no more than - clutch, 1st, gas, clutch 2nd, gas, etc that scare the shit out of me and have no idea what they are actually doing.
My friend and his brother destroyed the clutch on a 01 Integra because they didn't know how to drive a manual properly. Then one day my friend decided to try to drift his FWD Integra and up a curb he went. Better drivers my ass.

What I would like to know is what extra distractions drivers with automatics have over drivers with a manual.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #37
BackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
BackwoodsBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Honestly I like them both for different reasons. I had a 5spd in my dakota before I got the auto Tacoma. I really liked the contol I had with the standard, but where I work in the winter I where heavy bibs and boots and that made it a bit of a task. The auto cures that but I really miss the manual in the summer months when heavy clothes aren't needed.
I love my six speed tacoma but have the same problem in the winter... its too hard to get a good feel on the clutch pedal

i started to wear a different pair of boots for driving
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #38
I'm a zit. Get it?

Quote:

What I would like to know is what extra distractions drivers with automatics have over drivers with a manual.
can't the argument be made that someone who doesn't have to always be changing gears is less distracted? . . . . though dont let me come across as a manual hater, i love driving stick. but in regards to the discussion that has started here, it holds no water in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #39
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Auto, I'm just lazy.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in my car all day and a lot of it is stop and go city driving. I went through mini cooper clutches every 70k due to living in Orlando.