Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

View Poll Results: manual or automatic?
manual transmission 373 59.97%
automatic transmission 249 40.03%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #441
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Having a manual would be very annoying for me right now! I drive a mile a day with a top speed of 30, and I stop 8 times in that mile!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #442
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Having a manual would be very annoying for me right now! I drive a mile a day with a top speed of 30, and I stop 8 times in that mile!
Ha try driving rush hour traffic in a big city. I probably clutched 40 times in a mile on average in Minneapolis.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #443
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Auto, I'm too lazy anymore
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #444
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
MT for me...
less expensive, less chance for theft even if it is a small difference, excuse to not let people borrow the truck since they don't know how, descending hills in N, fun factor, about 35 lbs lighter , push starts when the battery or alternator is bad, and I think a shifter in a truck makes it look more like a truck.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #445
He gotta real perty mouth aint he
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Manual transmission all the way. My truck is not my DD it is a dedicated off road truck. I like the manual trans for its versatility off road...
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #446
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
I commuted into Pittsburgh (30-60 mins crawling) with a 5 speed Wrangler for over a year and it wasn't that bad. I prefer manual, especially for off roading. Went with the automatic Tacoma because of the praise it received as well as the negative reviews for the stick.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #447
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
30 years of driving almost nothing but manuals. "Hand shaker" for life, for me.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #448
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic hands down. The traction control, the shifting at prime RPM's for given circumstances, the less wear and tear for stop and go traffic, and it's better for racing. Yes, I said it, automatic is superior to manual when it comes to racing. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #449
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
Automatic hands down. The traction control, the shifting at prime RPM's for given circumstances, the less wear and tear for stop and go traffic, and it's better for racing. Yes, I said it, automatic is superior to manual when it comes to racing. Look it up if you don't believe me.
DCT automatics are faster.

The torque converter slush boxes like what's found in the taco are in no way similar to a racing DCT and are far worse for racing than a manual.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #450
Nc987 is on a distinguished road
Nc987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
DCT automatics are faster.

The torque converter slush boxes like what's found in the taco are in no way similar to a racing DCT and are far worse for racing than a manual.
Thank you for clarifying that and sparing me from explaining it.

Manual all the way. I feel disconnected from the car in an auto.

My friend is a master certified toyota tech and he told me to buy a manual. Says he has never seen a manual with issues and has had customers beat the crap out of them. Automatics are more common to have issues according to him.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #451
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc987 View Post

My friend is a master certified toyota tech and he told me to buy a manual. Says he has never seen a manual with issues and has had customers beat the crap out of them. Automatics are more common to have issues according to him.
I agree... just more sh*t that can break/wear down.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #452
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc987 View Post

Unfortunately that isn't true with the v6 2nd gen tacomas. Maybe the current ones are ok but early second gens had clutch and TOB problems.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #454
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
god this thread in never ending and repetitive and just shit
Where's oz to post 'auto' some more?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #456
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
...and it's better for racing. Yes, I said it, automatic is superior to manual when it comes to racing...
Luckily I only take my Taco to the track a couple of times a week.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
god this thread in never ending and repetitive and just shit
My tranny can beat up your tranny. Kinda like the oil threads, isn't it?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #460
Nc987 is on a distinguished road
Nc987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Unfortunately that isn't true with the v6 2nd gen tacomas. Maybe the current ones are ok but early second gens had clutch and TOB problems.
Yes, I should have clarified. 1st generation is what he was referring to about the transmissions. He told me to stay away from the 2nd gens entirely.