Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

View Poll Results: manual or automatic?
manual transmission 371 59.84%
automatic transmission 249 40.16%
Voters: 620. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #41
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsBoy View Post
I love my six speed tacoma but have the same problem in the winter... its too hard to get a good feel on the clutch pedal

i started to wear a different pair of boots for driving
x2...pedals are a little close for my heavy winter work boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
can't the argument be made that someone who doesn't have to always be changing gears is less distracted? . . . .
Well played sir!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #42
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
X2 unfortunately manuals are becoming a rare species due to all the lazy asses that would rather text/talk/eat while driving. What a shame, manuals are a lot more fun to drive, the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.
there's a saying about opening your mouth and removing all doubt... we no longer doubt you.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #43
toytaco1 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aerial Porter 56th APS
Name: jed
toytaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

6spd + Supercharger=awesome experience manny FTFW
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #44
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
I have an auto, so my wife can drive it....

Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsBoy View Post
I love my six speed tacoma but have the same problem in the winter... its too hard to get a good feel on the clutch pedal

i started to wear a different pair of boots for driving
That's a good idea. A couple times in winter I drove my cousin's WRX 5spd and it was hell. The last time I did I put on my sneakers.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #46
A comfortable ride is for chumps
Athlaos is on a distinguished road

Name: Athlaos
Athlaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'll always drive manual no matter what. Even if it's the last manual transmission on Earth and no one has any parts for it when it breaks down. If no one can fix it, I will fix it myself. If all manual transmissions eventually become pieces of junk compared to automatics, I will still drive a manual transmission. If every road on Earth becomes stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic, I would still drive a manual transmission. I would rather drive the world's worst manual than the world's best automatic. Just like the saying goes, "it's better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven."

Then I ask myself, "why are you so passionate about driving a manual?" The reason is that while driving a manual transmission is very easy, driving an automatic is 20 times easier. A monkey could do it. And you know what that means... there are a lot of monkeys driving on the world's roads.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #48
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlaos View Post
Then I ask myself, "why are you so passionate about driving a manual?" The reason is that while driving a manual transmission is very easy, driving an automatic is 20 times easier. A monkey could do it. And you know what that means... there are a lot of monkeys driving on the world's roads.
So what ... you feel it makes you more of a man? I mean that's all fine and good ... hey whatever rocks your boat, brother.

But saying that you'd rather drive a piece of shit ... that "if all manual transmissions eventually become pieces of junk compared to automatics" .. you'll still drive the manual ... well that's sort of just delusional, isn't it?

I mean if that day comes, I'd tell you make the better financial decision and buy the automatic. Then find another way to measure your manhood.

As for easy .. yeah driving an auto makes many things easier. So do computers. Or do you still handwrite your term papers? Because a pen makes things very easy, but a computer makes them 20 times easier.

BTW .. I write with a fountain pen. Because ballpoints are for pussies.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #50
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
X2 unfortunately manuals are becoming a rare species due to all the lazy asses that would rather text/talk/eat while driving. What a shame, manuals are a lot more fun to drive, the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.
I have had plenty of manual tran. cars and trucks. I never had a problem eating or talking on the cell or smoiking while driving. oh and manual trans. makes you a better driver?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #51
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get me wrong .. I think manuals are great. I really love the manual in our little Subaru ... it's sporty, and an awesome mountain driver, and the gas mileage is a good 4 mpg better than the auto. And I love manuals in a light truck .. though IMO, the 2nd gen is no longer a light truck. But if rowing through gears in your Taco is your preference, go for it! Variety makes the world go round.

What irks me are the Luddites ... all the while sitting at computer keyboards or tapping away on their iPhones, thankful for the e-locker and A-TRAC (oh the irony) ... who refuse to give the great technological advances in automatics their due.

Modern automatic transmissions are marvels of engineering. That they are beginning to surpass manuals in terms of fuel efficiency (thanks to lockup torque converters) is impressive. And the durability is amazing. A good automatic tranny, well cared for and kept cool, will go as long as a manual any day.

Toyota's A340 series is legendary, and the A750 series is it's successor. It's the same auto tranny in all 4Runners since 2003. Head over to the 4Runner forums, and you'll find all kinds of guys with 200,000 miles on their A750's with zero problems of any kind.

Do some fail? Yes. Is it expensive when they do? Yes .. if only because so few do fail, and parts are in relatively short supply. I've seen plenty of manuals grenade too.

The point is preference is fine! But please don't go blasting someone else's choice because you don't understand the technology.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #52
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
manual all day everyday! I aint got nothin bad to say about autos cause its all a personal preference anyway but they bore tha shit outta me! Yeah i gotta push tha clutch in 400 times in rush hour traffic, yeah it sucks starting out on a real steep hill, yeah its a little harder to drive off road, but you take the good with the bad and if tha worst thing is i gotta pay attention a little more while driving and my calf gets sore every now and then, then it seems like a great fucking idea to continue to drive my 5 speed!!!!!!

You cant be a pussy your whole life!!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #53
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
You cant be a pussy your whole life!!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #54
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Some people like to pretend they are grabbing a dick all day. Those are the ones that say auto is for pussies and other stupid shit like that. Personally I don't care what trans anyone has.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I voted manual because my previous 5 cars and trucks have all been manual transmissions, but I'm really thinking the next truck I buy will be an auto. Sticks shifts are blast in a car but can be a dog in a truck.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #56
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
A Manual Tranny so I have control of the RPM's and speed!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #57
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
i said auto.
but thats only because thats all i have driven.
drove my buddies stick once. other than that it has always been auto
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #58
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Manual equipped vehicles don't have radios, cell phones or food in them?
I had a 90 Honda Accord that only had dealer installed air conditioning. No factory radio, no cruise control, no ABS brakes, manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors and a manual transmission. It did have power steering and I installed a cd player. Can't buy a car or truck like that anymore it seems, nor would I want to.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #59
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I got hooked on manuals early in life at the age of 7 when dad taught me and my little brother to drive. He didn't give us the option, we were gonna learn to drive stick or not learn to drive at all lol! It was a 1968 Ford Bronco with the 3spd shifter on the column "3 on the tree" as he called it, will never forget learning to drive that old thing!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #60
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
I got an AT just in case I end up with a commuter type job again. Been there and done that with MT.