Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

View Poll Results: manual or automatic?
manual transmission 371 59.84%
automatic transmission 249 40.16%
Voters: 620. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

I prefer a manual because they are funner to drive and are less likely to be a victim of car theft being that most car thieves these days can't drive a stick! Also I feel more in control of my vehicle when it is manual. My Tacoma is a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, I had to do some searching to find that truck but am happy I took the time to get the one I wanted
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Used to love a manual, but got tired of it in my old ranger sitting in 5 o clock traffic.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
auto, the manual in the tacoma is terrible. Had one and traded it for the auto... it was lik driving a transport
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Woodsy211 is on a distinguished road

Woodsy211's Tacoma Gallery
Just got rid of an 07 with and auto, now i have an 11 with the 6 speed. I like the 6sp,but no complaints with the auto either
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Both my Tacoma and my Scion are manuals because my wife refuses to drive a stick...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010nctaco View Post
Used to love a manual, but got tired of it in my old ranger sitting in 5 o clock traffic.
that why i got my automatic. i would get tired of this Raleigh traffic with one. .. once i move back home (rural Johnston County)for good in a few years, i'll get a stick. but that will probably just be a project, play truck.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I like them both for different reasons. I had a 5spd in my dakota before I got the auto Tacoma. I really liked the contol I had with the standard, but where I work in the winter I where heavy bibs and boots and that made it a bit of a task. The auto cures that but I really miss the manual in the summer months when heavy clothes aren't needed.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer manual overall, but not the Tacomas manual transmission. I test drove it, didn't like it, and got the automatic.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
I live in the country and since my 1st gen Taco is a tiny 4 banger I love the manual!!!

Seems like the 2nd gen manuals are crappy by what I read on here.

Old yota manuals are great...I had 2 corolla wagons in the past(89&93) and the man tran was awesome!

Also had a 06 Matrix...did not like the man tran and the shifter location was horrible.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I prefer a manual because they are funner to drive and are less likely to be a victim of car theft being that most car thieves these days can't drive a stick! Also I feel more in control of my vehicle when it is manual. My Tacoma is a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, I had to do some searching to find that truck but am happy I took the time to get the one I wanted
auto anyday. it's 2011, i don't need to do the cars job.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I like being able to work on my truck without having to buy many expensive/specialized tools to fix it. The specialized tools I would have to buy to work on a manual trans will work on most manuals. The same cannot be said for autos.
There are less small moving parts in a manual, which makes it less likely to break.
I like directly controlling my truck, rather than indirectly. The throttle by wire irks me, but that is another subj.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
I like manual, in the winter I can ajust going up or down hill better.after driving an auto. it's just easier, to me anyway.

later tig1
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
It depends.

A manual is not fun when you are driving too and from work in traffic. Not one bit.

If I had a weekend car it would be a manual.

My DD will always be an auto.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
Slow tacoma, automatic

Sporty car, manual

It's not fun to drive a manual in a slow car, our trucks are not too bad but it's deffinately not thrilling. I wanted the manual but after seeing the 20 week wait time i got the auto and i am very glad i did, in hindsight i made the right choice. I think i would have been very unhappy with a manual.

Now i saw sporty car because i also have a honda s2000, they never made it in a auto but it would be soo stupid fi they did. Manual is the only way to go with that car
Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a boat with an auto is much easier especially on the ramps. It would be fun every once in a while to have a manual but overall I'm lazy while driving and dont feel like shifting.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda View Post
Both my Tacoma and my Scion are manuals because my wife refuses to drive a stick...
WHAT?????arent they the same?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
X2 unfortunately manuals are becoming a rare species due to all the lazy asses that would rather text/talk/eat while driving. What a shame, manuals are a lot more fun to drive, the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
ROLL TIDE
Jo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud of

Name: Jo Dog
Jo Dog's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer manual trans but I bought the auto because 16 years driving a strait shift Iwanted a auto.