Please help me settle an argument.

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Don't fix it. 102 61.45%
Fix it. 53 31.93%
Other(Specify) 11 6.63%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
Please help me settle an argument.

My wife and I very rarely fight or argue but we really got into it yesterday after work. To make this as short as possible here we go. I have worked on cars forever, used to be a tech and I usually fix most friends and familys vehicles. Her sister has yet to directly ask me to look at her car, but keeps commenting "the check engine light is on and she has no money to take it in" every time she sees me. I refuse to offer and am waiting for her to ask me to look at it. I honestly don't want to even look at it for the following reasons:
-she is almost 30
-still living at home rent free
-has a new iphone, new computer, new ps3, new wii, and a huge collection of coach shit
-has plenty of money to take several trips a year (Cruise, Las Vegas, Ski trip just in the last 12 months)
-she has paid nothing for her college education because she works at the school
-has a better paying job than I do that she constantly comments how awesome it is that she gets paid to do nothing but screw around.
My wife thinks I should fix it because I fix everyone else's vehicles. My rebuttle is that everyone else is a responsible adult with real life expenses. I fucking hate arguing over something this stupid but she is actually really pissed at me. Your comments and opinions?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
this is definitely one of those life lesson issues... two come to mind.

1. A wise general chooses his battles. This is not a battle you should, nor would be wise to pick.
2. Do you want to be right, or divorced?

fix it.

Relatives will be a PIA throughout your life - you have to bend a bit more sometimes to keep the peace. You're not her parent, even though I know you want to teach her this lesson (I would - I have to deal with very similar things from my wifes siblings - drives me nuts sometimes).

HOWEVER... you could always tell her sister first, 'If you want me to look at it, please just ask and don't beat around the bush. If not, please stop complaining about it all the time"

That way, you call her b.s. on this game she seems to be playing, and there will be peace.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
You could always pull the code, tell her you wont have any time to fix it for a while bla bla bla, and make up some bs about its important to get it done soon.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Do it for your wife, not her sister. Unfortunately, you won't win this one.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Asian13 will become famous soon enoughAsian13 will become famous soon enough

Name: Rachel
Asian13's Tacoma Gallery
I agree w/Jake, typically family means you should help her out. But first of all if she needs help, she should be the one to ask you. You shouldn't necessarily offer. She definitely doesn't sound like she is the most financially responsible 30 year old you know. It must be nice to not have to pay anything for her college education, but good for her for picking a career that pays for it. Commenting how awesome her job is constantly for doing nothing would be highly annoying. Bottom line is, don't even entertain the idea of helping her until she asks... And just because you're family doesn't automatically mean it costs her $0.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
If she wants it fixed she should come ask you. But then again woman are always right in the relationship.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Look at it and tell her it is some to BIG for you to handle and tell her to bring it in.

I feel you on this one. I am the car nut in my family so when ever something goes wrong I get blamed!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
the ghost
hedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of light

hedman's Tacoma Gallery
Just do what I do when i know a person will be bringing a project to me that i don't want to do. "Got REALLY busy was unable to squeeze you in sorry, but if you leave it hear i may be able to do it next month".
They take it else where
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Chuckulls is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Chuckulls's Tacoma Gallery
Dude Suck it up and fix it. You are 100% right about your sister in law. However tell your wife you are going to do it and don't do it begrudgingly. Do it make peace with the wife and enjoy your life with her. Your sister in law is going to affect your life negatively by not doing it.
Mike
Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
I voted don't fix it, but you have to consider your relationship with your wife. Do you really want to put up with her over something like this, fix it to keep the peace. Or at least just check the code on the check engine light and refer her to a local mechanic or a dealership. Pick your battles with your wife.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
Listening to a few of these guys i think they've got the right idea after all. Take a look at it, and just tell her you don't have the time or the right tool or the parts or whatever. Tell her it's important it gets fixed right away and she needs to bring it in. This will please your wife and also take care of the problem. I think this would be the best way to go. She'll find the money for it if she thinks it's important
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery

HEY! Is she hot!

later tig1
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I hope you understand what I say here-I am surprised that your wife doesn't see the wrong her sister is doing, and I would think she wouldn't want you to involve yourself with the sister. The sister could possibly burn you if anything should go wrong with that car after you put your hands in it-she sounds like that type. Your wife is supposed to side with you here IMO
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
It's not worth arguing over. I'm not married, but I am smart enough to know that you should never argue with a woman. They will make you feel like complete shit, and it will get to you eventually.

Just do it and get it over with, maybe it ends up being a 5 minute job!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with your side of the argument but I don't know your wife or what she's like so you need to weigh that in. Even though I agree with your point and hate people like your sister in law, you may have to end up fixing it. But, I think she should at least have the common decency to ask you for help, not just drop hints and expect you to jump in just because she's being inconvenienced. In principle, I say don't fix it, realistically I think you're going to end up fixing it one way or another, just a matter of how much fighting is involved or if she actually asks for help.

Good luck to ya!

Oh, and your poll should have more choices like Fix it (Married), Fix it (Unmarried), etc. I have a feeling those who are married will view this differently.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
It's not worth arguing over. I'm not married, but I am smart enough to know that you should never argue with a woman. They will make you feel like complete shit, and it will get to you eventually.

Just do it and get it over with, maybe it ends up being a 5 minute job!

That's never gonna happen to me!

I hope...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a head strong hard ass when it comes to shit like this. Don't fix it, explain to your wife in small words speaking slowly why you even attempting to fix it is a ludicrous request.

BUT, take a short 3 minutes look, if its a stupid simple fix, consider doing it for beer or some other favour if shes such a twat on the whole concept of money. If its something even remotely time consuming, give your mechanical educated opinion on what she should do with it, and send her on her way.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
John I feel you pain, I have 4 sister-in-laws and they all did the same crap your talking about to me. I told my wife tell them if they need a favor done come to me and ask, It took some time but now if they need a favor they call me direct. No more games.

Tell your wife you don't mind looking at it when you have time, but her sister will have to ask you first.