1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thieves??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jdickey03, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    they should have let the thieves enter the house and then shot them in the head. the laws are more on your favor when you kill someone who physically broke into your house.

2. May 6, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    JcTacoma

JcTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA OFF ROAD
    I totally agree!

3. May 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 [OP] $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    I agree, i think they were just so shocked that they actually came back for round 2

4. May 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    tacoma-king

tacoma-king Well-Known Member

Member:
    sault ste. marie Michigan
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma
    hitch
    i have work at many stores and know what u mean. if these poeple put the same amount of time and effort into getting and holding a job as they do making up with ways to steal they would not need to steal

a friend came home to a freshly cut lawn and a empty house the thieves had a guy cutting to lawn so people driving and walking by would not notice the other guys stealing shit out of the house

also a week ago someone cut off the catalytic converter off my brothers car while it sat in a open public parking lot them guys must of had some balls to pull that off in a well traveled parking lot

5. May 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    I was giving the SAT one morning at a local high school, and one of the test takers had his cat stolen while taking the test. Bad neighborhood, but really?

6. May 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    It's bad enough that he lost his father and took a bullet in the foot, but the shit storm is just starting for the brother.

Tell your friend: If he hasn't already, the brother needs to get a lawyer NOW, and say nothing about this to anyone, particularly the police. He can expect to have charges brought against him for the shooting. He is under investigation. The article says that the sheriff is getting a search warrant for his house.

The article also says that they believe one of the thieves is wounded. If that thief is caught, the brother can expect to be sued by the thief. In California, the thief might win.

I believe that all of the thieves deserve to die. I am extremely pro-gun. I am hardcore in my support of 2nd Amendment rights.

But, legally, the brother's actions constitute an unjustified shooting.

It is generally acceptable to use deadly force to protect life. In many states, it is acceptable to use deadly force to protect property. But, the brother wasn't protecting anyone or anything when he used deadly force. The thieves were stopped outside the house by the father before they could steal anything else. The thieves were fleeing, not a threat to the father or the brother, when the brother opened fire.

The thieves could even claim self-defense for their shooting. The brother shot first, while they were running away.

I'm not saying that it's right that the brother is going to be in big trouble, I'm just making a prediction.

I've been in similar situations. I've been across the street from a drive-by shooting. I've been in a restaurant during an armed robbery. I've chased a burglar down the street.

In each of those cases, I didn't use deadly force, and I was right not to do so, because it could not be justified.

For the drive-by, I heard the shots and saw a truck fleeing the scene. Did the truck contain the shooter, or was it an innocent trying to flee before they were shot? It was the shooter, but I couldn't be sure of that at the time. Fortunately, the shooter missed his target.

For the armed robbery, I knew there were two thieves, but I could only see one. I didn't know the location of the other. When the one I could see pulled his gun, the first cashier grabbed the register key and ran away, leaving him holding the gun on cashier #2, who started screaming. The thieves weren't getting the money. There were customers behind me and elsewhere in the restaurant. If anyone started the thieves shooting, an innocent was likely to be hurt or killed. The thieves gave up and left.

In the case of the burglar, he ran before he stole anything, so I wasn't protecting property. He was fleeing and had not shown a weapon, so I wasn't protecting life. And, there were occupied homes behind him. If he or his car didn't stop my bullets, I could have shot an innocent neighbor.

There is a big responsiblility to having a gun. There is a responsibility to think a hell of a lot, in advance, about the circumstances under which you will draw and fire it, because if you do, there will be a lot of people in the legal system with all the time in the world to judge you for it.

The brother made a hell of a mistake. He's already paying for it, and he's going to pay a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top