Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

$850 for a TAG!?!?!?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
$850 for a TAG!?!?!?

Just left the County Tag Office empty handed and in total disbelief! Bought my Tacoma on May 5th from a salesman at a local dealership. It was his personal vehicle , the lot bought it at the sales and before it had a chance to go on the lot he bought it. My local bank told me that the loan value was $19800 so thats what he came down to from $22000. I noticed that he had one of the CarLots tags on the rear but I didn't think anything about it because he said that he had owned it since Feb. and he even paid the extra $2200 with my $19800 to pay the truck off at his Credit Union. So....I go to the tag office yesterday , to get my tag from my recently sold Z71 transfered to the Tacoma and the lady says $850!!!! She told me that I owe the sales tax on the $19800 AND the salesman has owned the truck for a YEAR and never bought a tag! He drove it around with a Dealership tag! I guess I better start saving , deal is already done , bought as is , but it's a great truck , I jus hate to give $850 for a car tag!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
Name: Ben
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
That is majorly f'ed up.... I wouldnt know but shouldnt he be legally held liable for something???
Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Here in Maine we not only have a 5% sales tax but we also have an excise tax (road tax if you will) all payed before you get your tags. What really bothers me is every time a car/truck changes hands they collect tax again so if it's fairly new thousands of dollars are collected on the same damn truck!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood_usmc View Post
That is majorly f'ed up.... I wouldnt know but shouldnt he be legally held liable for something???
The deal was done as of May 5th , I bought the truck ,just didn't have any idea about the tag situation , of course the lady at the tag office said "you can ask if he'll pay his penalty" But I figured yeah right , he's going to pay for something that he just got out of. Alot of it is also the sales tax on $19800.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
so how much would it have been for JUST the sales tax on the what-ever-the-fuck-much you paid for it?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Just the sales tax on that deal here would have been $2300
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
so how much would it have been for JUST the sales tax on the what-ever-the-fuck-much you paid for it?
The way the teller tried to explain it , he's costing me around $200 for not buying a tag for a year.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama trd View Post
Just left the County Tag Office empty handed and in total disbelief! Bought my Tacoma on May 5th from a salesman at a local dealership. It was his personal vehicle , the lot bought it at the sales and before it had a chance to go on the lot he bought it. My local bank told me that the loan value was $19800 so thats what he came down to from $22000. I noticed that he had one of the CarLots tags on the rear but I didn't think anything about it because he said that he had owned it since Feb. and he even paid the extra $2200 with my $19800 to pay the truck off at his Credit Union. So....I go to the tag office yesterday , to get my tag from my recently sold Z71 transfered to the Tacoma and the lady says $850!!!! She told me that I owe the sales tax on the $19800 AND the salesman has owned the truck for a YEAR and never bought a tag! He drove it around with a Dealership tag! I guess I better start saving , deal is already done , bought as is , but it's a great truck , I jus hate to give $850 for a car tag!
Just to be clear on a few points:

Your tag ISN'T $850, your sales tax + tag is. In Missouri I had to pay about double that for sales tax alone.

Also, for non-Alabamians: In some states you pay property tax on a vehicle. Here, your tag covers your vehicle taxes, and usually ends up being $100-$200 for a new vehicle.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #10

Law Enforcement:
This is the first time that I've bought a vehicle of this price without going through a dealership and paying the sales tax....It was a loan from the bank for $19800 ,I guess you live and learn , If I'd known this...I would have asked the bank for another $850....maybe what I end up doing.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IMO you should pursue the cost of the missing tag from the dealer though, that's BS. Or report him to the BBB.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #12

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
IMO you should pursue the cost of the missing tag from the dealer though, that's BS. Or report him to the BBB.
Don't know much that I could do with the dealership , it sat there because it belonged to the salesman ( thats was to cheap to buy a tag for a year! and used one of the dealership tags)
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
You bought it through the dealer? You should not be paying penalties on a truck you just bought from a dealer, period.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What happened to full disclosure rights? Sounds a bit shady to me!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just to be clear on a few points:

Your tag ISN'T $850, your sales tax + tag is. In Missouri I had to pay about double that for sales tax alone.
Yup...I paid over 7% in sales tax on my truck. Pretty tough to negotiate a deal with tradein and then have to shell out another $1700 for sales tax. Welcome to the real world, son.

Here's some shiz - the houses across the street from me aren't in the city, so they only pay state sales tax. I would have saved $600+ by living across the street.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #16

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
You bought it through the dealer? You should not be paying penalties on a truck you just bought from a dealer, period.
No , I bought it through the salesman , he works at the dealership and drove it to work everyday , he told me that he bought it BEFORE they put it on the lot.Truck was in his name.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No , I bought it through the salesman , he works at the dealership and drove it to work everyday , he told me that he bought it BEFORE they put it on the lot.Truck was in his name.
and you are an LEO
aaaaannnd you don't think you can go get your 200 from him?

motherf**ker go get all samuel L on his ass!

repeat after me
"DO I LOOK LIKE A B*TCH?"

Don't forget the crazy eye!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
sales tax where I live is 15%...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
sales tax where I live is 15%...
12% in BC
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #20
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah well the way I figure is if you got a 2008 DCSB TRD Sport automatic for $19,800, you got an awesome deal. And as others have mentioned, $850 for tax + tag is cheap! My tag alone first year was around $650. Tax was another $1000 or so on top of that!