Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask A Medic

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I had a woman get some puke in my mouth because she was suffering from a class 5 brain aneurism.
Ewww yeah. Projectile vomit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzak88 View Post
I need to work where you work.. or go ALS...
Abdo pain, motor-vehicle, nausea/vomitting. (boooo)
WTF .. you telling me people in Canada call an ambulance for vomiting?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #22
Pick your poison
okie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
okie's Tacoma Gallery
Your most gruesome scene you went on?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #23
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Can you get this mayonaise jar out of my ass?
I worked for a medical imaging company that had a very close ties with a major SF hospital. One of the radiologists used to bring x-rays in once a week so you could guess what was there.

There was some pretty weird shit (pardon the pun) but never a mayo jar (that I saw)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ewww yeah. Projectile vomit.

WTF .. you telling me people in Canada call an ambulance for vomiting?
They call for toe pain or stomach aches lasting for several days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Rollover. 17y/o Female DOA on ground behind vehicle. 60MPH rollover in an early 90's pickup.

Not good.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #25
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
What is the difference between "cold and dead" and "warm and dead"? I've heard this in a chat between EMTs.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #26
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Taco View Post
Sometimes when looking for a house i drive past it like 5 times looking for it (bad stretch of no house numbers). Do you ever have this problem?
All the time! Is it really that hard to put your address up????
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
What is the difference between "cold and dead" and "warm and dead"? I've heard this in a chat between EMTs.
Warm and dead is dead-dead.

Cold and dead is mostly dead.

If you have to choose. Choose Cold and Dead.

It's to do with Hypothermia. You can be super hypothermic and for all intents and purposes to anyone, you'd be dead. But bring them back up to temperature and with proper techniques, they still live. So that's why they say, you're not dead till you're warm and dead.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #28
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it difficult to cope with injuries/death? especially with a small child
When I was doing training hours in an ER, had an infant come in full arrest. Died of SIDs. Father came in, heard the news and went bezerk. Took 5 of us to hold the guy down. God awful. But it is true that you become pretty desensitized to much of it. "Meh" is sort of where you end up. Lot's of dark humor in the field too. It's a coping mechanism. Will refrain from details.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #29
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
Any easy book to read for 12lead ekgs for dummies!?!?
Advice about getting threw ACLS
read the book! GTFO

12 lead: The art of interpretation I'm a natural freaking genius so I didn't need it....lol j/k I paid attention in class
Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #30
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
Where you other medics workin? I'm AMR here in southern WA state. Wev been getting our asses kicked with the amount of calls. And running down ambulances every day doesn't help.

We do 911 and interfacility transfers. Been running average of 8 transports a day, 12 hr shift.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #32
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
If you have to look too hard and long at a 12 lead.... There's nothing too significant to see!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #33
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They call for toe pain or stomach aches lasting for several days.

indians on the reserve about 100km north of town use the ambulance like its a taxi service.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #34
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
Any easy book to read for 12lead ekgs for dummies!?!?
Advice about getting threw ACLS
ACLS is a joke now a days. Read the book, pay attention in class...it's easy now.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #35
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Warm and dead is dead-dead.

Cold and dead is mostly dead.

If you have to choose. Choose Cold and Dead.

It's to do with Hypothermia. You can be super hypothermic and for all intents and purposes to anyone, you'd be dead. But bring them back up to temperature and with proper techniques, they still live. So that's why they say, you're not dead till you're warm and dead.
Oooh I think I understand....

So if you bring them back to temp and they are still dead, it's a done deal. But if they are cold but "dead" there's still a chance because they can possibly still survive if you warm them up?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #36
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
Quote:
I've done this for 16 yrs....hell if I know. It's all just blood...some have a little some have more....some have a whole lot. Nothing really stands out. seen all kinds of crap.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #37

Do you truly realize how important you are to us?

I want to thank you for all of the long nights, the trauma you see and the hard work you do.

Heroes. That's what you are. Thank you.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Small car sideswiped a semi at about 100km/hr. Car was destroyed, patient was still alive, but hanging out the drivers window. Massive head/neck/back/chest/abdomen trauma but still able to squeeze my hand and open his eyes when I asked him to. Lesser trained fire/rescue, poor conditions and general fucked-upness of the car made it nearly impossible to get him out and he ended up arresting on me in my hands when we just about had him out.

This was in February and it still messes with me sometimes. My partner was friends with his son.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #39
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog2314 View Post
Where you other medics workin? I'm AMR here in southern WA state. Wev been getting our asses kicked with the amount of calls. And running down ambulances every day doesn't help.

We do 911 and interfacility transfers. Been running average of 8 transports a day, 12 hr shift.
Rural county service...closest hospital 25 or so miles. All 911, need a transfer call a private service.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
Quote:
When I was doing training hours in an ER, had an infant come in full arrest. Died of SIDs. Father came in, heard the news and went bezerk. Took 5 of us to hold the guy down. God awful. But it is true that you become pretty desensitized to much of it. "Meh" is sort of where you end up. Lot's of dark humor in the field too. It's a coping mechanism. Will refrain from details.
^^^This

Worked a 8 week old one time. Didn't make it....he had just angioplasty 3 days before....everyone has their own way of dealing with stuff they see.

Products Discussed in this Thread