LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask A Medic

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #41
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post

WTF .. you telling me people in Canada call an ambulance for vomiting?

They call for an ambulance for way worse things than vomitting.... Since an ambulance ride is only $80, people who are lonely sometimes call...

We "respond" for all sorts of different reasons. Most are legit, but some make you say to your partner, "0300 wakeup for that? I'm quitting".
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #42
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzak88 View Post
They call for an ambulance for way worse things than vomitting.... Since an ambulance ride is only $80, people who are lonely sometimes call...

We "respond" for all sorts of different reasons. Most are legit, but some make you say to your partner, "0300 wakeup for that? I'm quitting".
A ambulance bill here is around $800. Do you guys get paid decent up there? How do your shifts run?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #43
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
so where do all you socal ems cool kids hang out in these parts
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #44
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
so where do all you socal ems cool kids hang out in these parts
Don't know, I'm on the other coast
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #45
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
A ambulance bill here is around $800. Do you guys get paid decent up there? How do your shifts run?

In the province of BC, where I work, no. I'm considered "part-time" even though I work more shifts than a "full-time" employee. We have several different shifts and shift patterns. Our shifts range from Alpha to Fox as well as a Kilo and Juliet. Fox and Kilo are "part-timer" shifts. They can be either 10hr days/14hr nights, 14/10 or 12/12 (it's up to the station and the crew that works there to decide, really).

A "Fox" shift- $11/hr standby. You are required to be in uniform, at the station and ready to respond within 90 seconds. While on a call you get paid your full wage (which isn't anything spectacular)

A Kilo shift- $2/hr on-call. Not required to be at the station, or in uniform. This shift can be worked from at the station or at home, granted you're rolling within 14 minutes. When on a call, you get paid your full wage. Kilo call outs, no matter the length, you get paid a minimum of 4 hours. If they page you out for a call, and before you get to the station to roll, they page again and cancel you then that's 4 hours pay.

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta and Echo are staffed by "full-timers". They all have different shift patterns, and all get paid their full wage to be at the station, in uniform ready to respond within 90 seconds- the same requirements as someone working a Fox shift.

Part-timers can make their own schedule, pretty much. We make ourselves available for shifts for the next month, (required minimum of 8 to keep your seniority) and you're put on the schedule. Since I live an hour from my station, I make myself available for blocks of shifts. My blocks will start at 1800 for a 14hr night on Monday, and I'll be off at 1800 Friday after a 10 hour day. I work 28-32 shifts per month. Full-timers work 16. We aren't as busy, but we easily can be on some days.

We don't get benefits until we've been in the service for 7 years. I could go on and on and on, but I will leave it there.

What I will say, is that I may end up joining Krazie, next door in the near future.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #46
Textbook Fucking Mental
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Lot's of dark humor in the field too. It's a coping mechanism.
Heard this more than a few times now.

My dad was a medic for a good amount of time. Said the worst thing that happened to him was he got shot at.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #47
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
It was a rough shift....stayed up too late on TW messing with the canadians....lol
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #48
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was a rough shift....stayed up too late on TW messing with the canadians....lol

Yeah it's crazy what the EMS guys get paid as compared to doctors. I remember when I first did my EMT-B and they told us we'd be lucky to make $9/hr on a private ambulance service, all I could think was "Good God .. these people have our lives in their hands day in day out. And that's what we fucking pay them?!" EMT-I and paramedics obviously make more, but still not nearly enough for the shit they deal with.

As for the worst calls, yeah getting shot at would suck. Some idiots will shoot at anything in a uniform. Have heard horror stories about massive maggot filled bedsores .. that would be one of the worst calls for me. Just the thought of the smell turns my stomach.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #49
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsgirl929 View Post
I love when males have foreign objects stuck in their tucus and when I ask how it got there they all say the same thing "Oh. I fell on it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Do you truly realize how important you are to us?

I want to thank you for all of the long nights, the trauma you see and the hard work you do.

Heroes. That's what you are. Thank you.
X2
Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #50
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Do you truly realize how important you are to us?

I want to thank you for all of the long nights, the trauma you see and the hard work you do.

Heroes. That's what you are. Thank you.
No. We're selfish selfish pricks. If you really knew...

I do this because I like to drive fast, and like a typical male, like seeing body parts in ways they should never be contorted.

The only caveat is that I think it sucks to have that happen to someone so I want to help in whatever meager way I can. (Generally by telling them I've seen worse and to keep huffing on that Laughing Gas)

Quote:
4 on, 4 off. 2 picnics, 2 sleep overs. 12 hr shifts. Starting wage here is $24/hr for EMTs and $28/hr for Paramedics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzak88 View Post
What I will say, is that I may end up joining Krazie, next door in the near future.

Dooo eeeeeet!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #51
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
how long does it take to heal a bruised bone?
its above my ankle, and i run everyday. i know the best way to get rid of it is to lay off the running but i cant, any other way i can get it to go away?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #53

EMS:
I wonder how long it will be until someone posts in here,
"My dad is having chest pain, he's really pale and he's sweating a lot. He just threw up but I think it was because of the pain. I don't know. He said hes fine, and not to phone an ambulance. Just checking with you guys to see if it's a pulled muscle or something? Should I phone 911?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #54
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Got my NREMT, but can't get a job on an ambulance or the hospital...
any advice? especially in AZ?
thanks.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #55
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
AN EMS has got to be a very demanding job. What made you guys choose this career?
Do you have a genuine desire to help people?
If you are having a bad day, do you think this hinders your ability to render aid to the needy?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #56
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #57

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
Protocols, procedures and paychecks.

Edit: If this is a question for Krazie, EMT is basic life support which deals with trauma, general unwellness etc, can start IV's and give a few drugs. Paramedic is advanced life support which deals more with cardiac and respiratory issues, can give a lot more drugs, 12-leads, pacing, intubation, needle decompressions etc.

He'll have to tell you though. I'm next door in BC and everything is different.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #58
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdmv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Besides the fact that you can get EMT certified in one semester in college and a 2-year Paramedic class, EMTs are usually not allowed to break the skin. They usually give first-aid and transport to hospitals.

I used to volunteer at LACFD in Watts and 99% of the calls were medical. And by medical.. I mean usually BS. We used to get the most calls on the weekends when dr. offices were closed. One time we responded to a call at 4:00 am on a Monday morning to a lady who had a difficult time breathing. We asked her how long it has been happening and she responded.."all my life." She was 51 years old..
Old 06-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #59
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdmv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Besides the fact that you can get EMT certified in one semester in college and a Paramedic Cert is a 2-year class, EMTs are usually not allowed to break the skin. They usually give first-aid and transport to hospitals.

I used to volunteer at LACFD in Watts and 99% of the calls were medical. And by medical.. I mean usually BS. We used to get the most calls on the weekends when dr. offices were closed. One time we responded to a call at 4:00 am on a Monday morning to a lady who had a difficult time breathing. We asked her how long it has been happening and she responded.."all my life." She was 51 years old..
Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #60
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
4 on, 4 off. 2 picnics, 2 sleep overs. 12 hr shifts. Starting wage here is $24/hr for EMTs and $28/hr for Paramedics.

Dooo eeeeeet!

wow here in CT i thin EMTs start around $14 and Medics around $24, im an EMT but dont use it, Im an RN now in an ER, we start at $32

Products Discussed in this Thread