Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask A Medic

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #1321
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Anytime. Again, advice given on here is not meant to substitute for real live medical aid or expertise.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #1322
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
I am now officially a licensed (unemployed) paramedic!! now to get me a job on the booboo bus!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1323
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
I am now officially a licensed (unemployed) paramedic!! now to get me a job on the booboo bus!
Congratulations!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #1324
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congratulations!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #1325
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
okay had physicals for work these were the "negative comments I recieved maybe you can help me decipher what it means cause the doc seemed kinda like a quack

on a ekg i am bradycardic with a hr of 45 (i know what bradycardic is) and that I have mild early repolarisation, I run between 3-5 miles every other day and eat very healthy

the other thing was my mercury he said i should cut back on fish, the primary meat in my diet, however I eat mostly seasonal inshore fish and eat what i can freeze or get at the fish market in the winter.

also he said my bp was through the roof but the cuff didnt fit right and its usually low rather than high
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #1326
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
okay had physicals for work these were the "negative comments I recieved maybe you can help me decipher what it means cause the doc seemed kinda like a quack

on a ekg i am bradycardic with a hr of 45 (i know what bradycardic is) and that I have mild early repolarisation, I run between 3-5 miles every other day and eat very healthy

the other thing was my mercury he said i should cut back on fish, the primary meat in my diet, however I eat mostly seasonal inshore fish and eat what i can freeze or get at the fish market in the winter.

also he said my bp was through the roof but the cuff didnt fit right and its usually low rather than high
You know your body better than anyone including any doctor. It's completely normal to have sinus Brady and early repolarization if you are fairly athletic.

I would be concerned with the mercury if your blood tests are showing high, maybe you should cut back on fish just a little bit. Maybe eat more chicken?

And as far as the blood pressure reading, if you are concerned go to CVS or something and buy a blood pressure cuff and monitor your blood pressure. Being fairly athletic I doubt you have any blood pressure issues, it was probably just the poor fitting cuff.

I have seen a lot of doctors and nurses do this quite often. They fall into the same rut we do sometimes and treat the monitor instead of the patient.

I went to the doctor one time for a routine checkup and the nurse kept on getting a high blood pressure reading. The systolic was up in the 160s. All of the nurses there were freaking out that someone was so young and had such high blood pressure,and I made several suggestions to try a different blood pressure cuff but they wouldn't listen. Finally the doctor came in to see what all the commotion was about and he made the same suggestion as I did, and what do you know my blood pressure was perfectly normal. The nurses were all pretty confused it was kind of funny.

I had similar issues at the same doctor when they were freaking out because my EKG said I had sinus arrhythmia. But in the medical community it is common knowledge that young people have a pretty high occurrence of sinus arrhythmia.

Now if these negative comments on your physical are going to affect your job in any way I would go to a different doctor and get a second opinion to show them.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #1327
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
We shall see if work says anything about it, but I'm sure the Bp is fine cause we got back to the station and it was low.

I feel great and am in the best shap of my life when it comes to cardio so I'm sure it was one of those treat the monitor scenarios
Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #1328
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone also a first responder? I am and feel that when I am in my first responder role I got to dumb myself down from being a paramedic. I still am trying to adjust to this. I am not trying to be a para-god, but it seems like people that work with me as 1st responders are now intimidated by me and that if I notice a mistake or have comments on something I can't really say anything because then I am being sort of stuck up.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #1329

Hows the job outlook in western Canada. This is aimed at you Krazie
Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #1330
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Depends. Industrial? Plenty. Jobs everywhere. With Healthcare? Takes a while to get into. Since AHS is taking over, you essentially get on casual and work your ass off to try and get a full time gig. That's what I had to do, and it's the standard OP now.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Depends. Industrial? Plenty. Jobs everywhere. With Healthcare? Takes a while to get into. Since AHS is taking over, you essentially get on casual and work your ass off to try and get a full time gig. That's what I had to do, and it's the standard OP now.
Right on I am with an industrial company right now here but there is no work. and I have to wait till the next hiring process to apply for the provincial service which I heard is next spring. Need to look at my options elsewhere. Any tips for this green PCP??
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #1332
Resident Jackass

Make sure you have your paper work and crap in order including your drivers license. I dunno if you have or will get a GDL once you get to Alberta. But winter is starting and the season is vamping up.

IPS is the biggest company here thus far. Other companies pay more, but they have all the contracts and thus more work.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Make sure you have your paper work and crap in order including your drivers license. I dunno if you have or will get a GDL once you get to Alberta. But winter is starting and the season is vamping up.

IPS is the biggest company here thus far. Other companies pay more, but they have all the contracts and thus more work.
Thanks, I was on the IPS website and there was an opening for an EMT-A. I know EMT-P is equivalent to ACP, but what level is EMT-A?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1334
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Fuck flu season. It has to be the worst time of year. Ran 16 calls yesterday (did a double) 10 straight calls were "I have a fever"

Common sense peeps. Its nothing new
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #1335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Fuck flu season. It has to be the worst time of year. Ran 16 calls yesterday (did a double) 10 straight calls were "I have a fever"

Common sense peeps. Its nothing new
back on preceptorship had 3 weeks of nonstop N/V calls. On a side note I really need a job so I have more stories than "back on preceptorship...".
Old 10-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #1336
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Thanks, I was on the IPS website and there was an opening for an EMT-A. I know EMT-P is equivalent to ACP, but what level is EMT-A?
PCP.

While in Alberta unless your equivalency is that of an ACP, do NOT call yourself a paramedic. You will be shit on, and you will have a very hard time of it.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #1337
Resident Jackass

Too good not to share. Might have already seen it floating on Crackbook cause that's where I stole it from.

Quote:
Emergeny Response for Dummies
It's an EMS Life ....

What you can expect from making a living on an ambulance

1 You'll find it hard to start relationships because alone time will become a precious thing.

2 Your sense of humor will degrade into the politically incorrect and socially unacceptable

3 You'll eventually start swearing like a sailor and you won't even notice yourself doing it.

4 You'll turn into an anorak/monomaniac and always turn all conversations back EMS

5 You'll earn a pittance for years/decades.

6 You'll either lose a vast amount of weight or gain a vast amount of weight.

7 You'll never ever have a tan ever again. (Unless you buy it)

8 You won't become famous.

9 You'll develop a habit, whether it be coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, or even red bull.

10 Your feet will get destroyed.

11 Your back will get destroyed.

12 Your hands will get destroyed.

13 You'll live in a constant state of sleep deprivation, indefinitely.

14 You'll have to ask your friends to plan everything around your schedule, which is in complete opposition with their availability, because you never know your days off in advance and you probably won't be able to change it....and you are an hour whore to make ends meet.

15 You'll become jaded to the ability of people to tell the truth

16 You'll become more prone to temper flare ups

17 Your awareness of other people's lack of efficiency and common sense will increase and your tolerance of it will decrease.

18 You'll spend the largest part of your life cooped up in a small, undecorated truck or station with crappy air conditioning, poor heat and a small group of people who will become your only social interactions.

19 You will work longer hours than you ever imagined possible or thought legal.

20 Your shortest work days will be longer than most people's longest, and your longer workdays, which make up about half of your working week, will be longer than the average person is awake in a day.

21 You will probably start eating mostly fast food and cheap instant noodles.

22 You will be the subject of abuse, whether physical or emotional. Officially, it will be as a test of character. In reality, it will be as a form of entertainment.

23 You will end up spending so much time at work that your colleagues will know you better than your spouse/family/friends do.

24 You will meet and form strong bonds with types of people whom you'd previously never even have imagined sharing conversations with.

25 You will be in a constant state of stress.

26 You will never be irreplaceable and will be expected to constantly give 110%.

27 You will always be exhausted.

28 You will not be allowed to call in sick for a hangover.

29 You will be expected to place your work before any other part of your life in your list of priorities.

30 You will never be congratulated on your work.

31 You will be expected to treat your superiors as absolute masters and never answer back, try to explain yourself, start a conversation, or show any other type of insubordination, even if you know that they are in the wrong or feel as if their behavior towards you is unacceptable.

32 You will be expected to trot out "worst call ever" stories at every family gathering...EVER.

33 At least one year out of two, and maybe every year, you will work Christmas, New Year's Eve, Easter, Valentine's day, Mother's day, Father's day, bank holidays, Halloween, your birthday, and pretty much every other day of celebration on the calendar.

34You will make mistakes, and every time you do make a mistake, someone will notice it and make you understand that you are clearly a subhuman because only a subhuman could make such a mistake.

35 If you are a woman, you will constantly be the subject of misogynist remarks and jokes,sexual harassment, belittlement and remarks about your menstrual cycle.

36 None of your friends or family will understand what is involved in your work and you will never be able to make them understand.

37 You will spend vast amounts of money on equipment, books, and training which will leave you with not much money for other things.

38 You will develop a creepy obsession with needles.

39 If you are a Basic, you will develop a creepy obsession with Trauma Scissors

40 If you are the right type of person, you will thank your lucky star every single day for the rest of your life for making you take the best decision you ever did and become an EMT or Paramedic And you will fall in love with your job and never look back.

~Bomb
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #1338
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Cooking at the station.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Cooking at the station.

The station I did my preceptorship at was looking at making a deck in back and getting a grill and a patio set and what not. Dont worry wasnt gonna be with company money or anything.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #1340
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Cooking at the station.

thats pretty awesome...

Products Discussed in this Thread