Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Plumbing Question

Old 06-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
dexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Plumbing Question

Any plumbers out there???? In my 5 year old townhouse I occasionally hearing a humming/vibration noise coming from the unfinished basement where the main water line comes into the house through the basement floor.

This only happens when we turned on a faucet, any faucet in the house, or the shower and sometimes when the toilet flushes. Mainly when faucet water is running. As soon as the water is turned off the sound goes away.

I live in a townhouse with sprinkler system. There is a pressure reducing valve installed after the main shutoff but sprinkler system is branched off before the PRV. Any ideas of what this could be or what to start looking for or checking?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds similar to my buddies issue. He left his hose on and it would cause a vibrating/humming noise. Maybe check the hoses? Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
It's your water pipes (probably metal) slightly vibrating due to the water flow. The sound gets amplified usually where the pipes come in contact with your floor or wall joists, similar to a guitar body amplifying the string vibrations.

If the basement joists are still open, try to find the places where there is contact with the wood and put insulation or padding in there. This may or may not help because usually the loud hums happen only at a certain specific amount of water flow, not necessarily every time a faucet is on.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
dexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
It's your water pipes (probably metal) slightly vibrating due to the water flow. The sound gets amplified usually where the pipes come in contact with your floor or wall joists, similar to a guitar body amplifying the string vibrations.

If the basement joists are still open, try to find the places where there is contact with the wood and put insulation or padding in there. This may or may not help because usually the loud hums happen only at a certain specific amount of water flow, not necessarily every time a faucet is on.
I'm pretty sure most of the pipes are PVC except the ones used for sprinkler system, which are copper. My basement is finished with drywall ceiling except for the small area where the main comes in. I've been in the house for almost 5 years and this just started happening maybe 6 months ago. I will have to check to see if anything is touching a joist.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdawg View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the pipes are PVC except the ones used for sprinkler system, which are copper. My basement is finished with drywall ceiling except for the small area where the main comes in. I've been in the house for almost 5 years and this just started happening maybe 6 months ago. I will have to check to see if anything is touching a joist.
Your domestic water is PVC?!?! I didn't know that was even used, I thought copper was fairly universal for water supply and PVC for sewer.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Take the hangers off, put a wrap of rubber around the pipe, and reattach the hanger.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
The washer on the faucet needs to be changed.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Take the hangers off, put a wrap of rubber around the pipe, and reattach the hanger.
assuming hangers were used at all. From what I have heard, a lot of new builds use minimal hangers. One of them could be slightly loose.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Might be water haammer, need more air cusihion in water lines. Easy fix.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...fix-pipes5.htm
Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Water hammer only happens when turning on/off the faucet.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I think PVC can raise a ruckus also.

In your case I would suspect the immediate area where the main water line enters through the basement wall. Also as someone suggested, a bad faucet or washer could be a culprit, especially if the noise is only when that particular faucet comes on.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #12

dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I checked my water pressure on both the front and back hose bibs. Got reading of about 80 psi on both which I'm told is high for residential. Plus the PRV is rated at 50 psi. So for now I've made the adjustment on the PRV and we'll see what happens.

From what I can see the strapping and hangers are there. The noise only happens when the water is running so I think that kind of eliminates water hammering.

I'm not looking at one particular faucet because the noise happens when any faucet or shower water is turned on. I'm not giving up yet, just trying to eliminate one thing at a time. Thanks for all the help. Here is a photo of my basement set up.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So no hose was left on?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #14

dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
So no hose was left on?
Sorry but no hose left on but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
Street glide or die

Damn well now im interested to see whats wrong so let us know.