Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Laminate Flooring DIYers?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Laminate Flooring DIYers?

Anyone have laminate in their house? If so which brand did you go with?
I want to do our main room thats around 600 sq ft. It would be great to find some less than $2 a sqfoot and I will install it myself.

Lumber liquidators has some really good pricing but not sure of their "dream home" brand. I have a lowes locally and they carry swiftlock(leary of them as well) anderson and pergo. I want something pretty dark like this:

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I did used pergo when I moved in. Got it from Lowes. I first went to LL but they didn't have any dark ones in stock. The install is super easy btw.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
we did in the old house. i don't know what brand. but i think it was like pergo from lowes or home depot. and it was the snap together stuff.

edit: me mom and dad did the hole up stares except the bathrooms and the stares them selves. not to hard if you got the right tools to gut it. circler saw works best. and we had pretty light colored stuff.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Skimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud ofSkimoab has much to be proud of

Name: Dave
Skimoab's Tacoma Gallery
I actually bought some from Costco for a rental unit I own, very easy install, very durable, and actually looks really good. I don't remember the exact pricing but I remember it being about 60-70% of the price at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimoab View Post
I actually bought some from Costco for a rental unit I own, very easy install, very durable, and actually looks really good. I don't remember the exact pricing but I remember it being about 60-70% of the price at Home Depot or Lowe's.
How was the install?

My room mates are out getting flooring right now.

There are 3 of us and have zero experience installing floors.

Any special tools or glue or anything needed?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
I installed quite a bit of the LL brand snap together laminate this past winter. It was pretty easy, especially with an extra pair of hands. I used a small table saw to remove the tongue of the first pieces, then a chop saw for cutting pieces to length. I had a saber saw to cut around obstacles, like air registers, and a Dremel Multi-Max for cutting door frames & trim so that the laminate could fit under. Just follow the directions supplied and use spacers.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
I installed quite a bit of the LL brand snap together laminate this past winter. It was pretty easy, especially with an extra pair of hands. I used a small table saw to remove the tongue of the first pieces, then a chop saw for cutting pieces to length. I had a saber saw to cut around obstacles, like air registers, and a Dremel Multi-Max for cutting door frames & trim so that the laminate could fit under. Just follow the directions supplied and use spacers.
Hmm. I have no saws.

Do we need to remove the floor moldings, or will they most likely fit under?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking at stuff like Pergo it is really easy to install. I do recommend getting/renting either a mitter saw or a buying a mitter box so that your seams are all straigt. You dont need to use nails or anything like that you will need to buy some good Wood glue to glue the ends together, this is more to keep stuff out of the joint then it is to hold it. If you plan on living in the house for a long period of time I recommend spending the extra money for something that has actual real wood on the top of it and then a clear layer over the wood. I have seen the cheaper brands where with alot of traffic over it they tend to fade down to the MDF layer. As far as putting it all together it is either a Tongue and Groove mechanism were you are just pushing them together or it is an "S" hook configuration where you have to put it at an angle and one piece fits in under neath the other.

Things to remember when you are buying stuff. Make sure that you buy the transition pieces, there are the pieces you use between other types of flooring that you are bordering. Also spend the extra money for a good thick underlayment. Because the floor is free floating, not glue or nailed to the sub floor, the space between the sub floor and the Laminate will echo when you walk across it, if you have a basement you will hear everything that goes across the floor. Also when you are putting it together make sure that you off set the seams. You need to leave atleast 16 inches between the seams from one row to the other.

As far as what brand to buy I would definately read up on it. Consumer Reports had a comparison of the best and worst Laminate flooring. You can go to consumerreports.com to see the comparisons. If you plan on moving eventually then go with a mid level brand.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
How was the install?

My room mates are out getting flooring right now.

There are 3 of us and have zero experience installing floors.

Any special tools or glue or anything needed?
the only tools you need are a measuring tape, circular saw (table saw would be easier), hammer, spacers and the tapping tool. We had 2 diff tapping tools, one main one, and one that made to get hard to reach areas

HF has a cheapie set
http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-i...:referralID=NA
Old 06-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Mob parking lots.

Yeah, they kinda just went out and are buying the flooring.

Guaranteed they didn't do any research at all.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
asphinctersayswhat?

youtube has a lot of tutorial vids
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do we need to remove the floor moldings, or will they most likely fit under?
No way for me to tell, but I doubt the new flooring would fit under the existing baseboards and such. Kind of doubt it. Do some planning before you start work.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Mob parking lots.

I'll let them fumble around with it then laugh and tell them they're dummies for not doing their homework.

Besides, their dog destroyed the carpet.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
No way for me to tell, but I doubt the new flooring would fit under the existing baseboards and such. Kind of doubt it. Do some planning before you start work.
I told them they'd probably have to remove the baseboards, but the know-it-all female decided it wasn't necessary.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a Floor Decor in the area. You can get super deals. It is the Big Lots of flooring & tile.

http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
I used allure, you don't need a saw, just a blade. Pretty damn easy, it's got adhesive on it and just sticks together instead of clipping. The worst part is making sure the sub-floor is smooth. It was cake to install.

I've done some of the other laminate stuff from Costco at a buddies house, it was easy too.

Not having to go in and out to keep cutting shit on a saw is nice, I needed a measuring tape and a box cutter.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
If you have a Floor Decor in the area. You can get super deals. It is the Big Lots of flooring & tile.

http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/
Nowhere near one of those.

They found the flooring they want and are out getting it now. Should be fun.

I'm sure I'll get bitched at for not helping a whole lot, but like I said, their puppy ate the carpet then pissed all over it.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nowhere near one of those.

They found the flooring they want and are out getting it now. Should be fun.

I'm sure I'll get bitched at for not helping a whole lot, but like I said, their puppy ate the carpet then pissed all over it.
Make sure to leave an expansion gap around the walls
Old 06-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #20

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I told them they'd probably have to remove the baseboards, but the know-it-all female decided it wasn't necessary.
Oh yeah; been there. Tape record all such conversations whenever possible....

Products Discussed in this Thread