1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima Roof Rack, Who, Which, How?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Toyotacrawler, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jun 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler [OP] She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    I need a roof rack for the Taco and I don't have clue as to which one to buy. I will be mounting a Tepui roof top tent on it as pictured below. My issue is that every rack I have found the load capacity is only 100lbs. Well the tent is 115lbs, add two adults thats over 300lbs and this concerns me. Does anybody know who the truck below belongs to? The tepui site says that his tent is mounted on a yakima rack. The yakima site says a rack for my DC is rated at 100lbs. I'm afraid that won't work. Just want to find out how its mounted and which rack he purchased. Or maybe some of you guys have a similar setup on your rig.. Thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I dont think I'd trust any tent on any roof racks for our trucks.:cool: What about a bed tent?

3. Jun 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    that is one sick looking taco!!

4. Jun 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    We have thought about a bed tent but we can get alot more space with a roof or bed rack mounted tent setup. Do you think that the roofs of our trucks aren't strong enough? Should that be concern?

5. Jun 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    I think the 100lbs is just to cover their ass. I have stood on top of mine a few times and they were fine. I weight 180. If you think about it, you put (essentially) a big board across the tracks then lay across the board... say you are 100 lbs (cuz I don't feel like doing math tonight), the 2 bars spread the weight out so really, you have about 50(ish) lbs on one bar. The other 50 on the other. What I don't know about is how well the metal on the cab will hold. One guy on here had kayaks on his and had the q clips that rest right above the door and latch in the door frame, the weight ended up pushing the metal in right above the door.

6. Jun 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    I hadn't thought about that. Would suck to have that bend. Maybe over the bed is the route to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top