Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

The "40+" "Old Timers Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #9461
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You couldn't build a port out there
How deep is it? Some truly incredible things can be done if there's money in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberni...Base_Structure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_A_platform
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #9462
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
How deep is it? Some truly incredible things can be done if there's money in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_A_platform
Shallow , and totally exposed

That's why the port at Kitimat is way up inside the channel

Besides , Endbridge just wants to build a pipe , they don't want to build a whole new harbour , town and access to it , plus that would also stir up shit with the First Nation who's traditional lands all that infrastructure would have the cross and be built on

Your two examples are drilling platforms , the freighters will be docking at a port in Kitimat for loading of the bitumen
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #9463
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Shallow , and totally exposed

That's why the port at Kitimat is way up inside the channel

Besides , Endbridge just wants to build a pipe , they don't want to build a whole new harbour , town and access to it , plus that would also stir up shit with the First Nation who's traditional lands all that infrastructure would have the cross and be built on

Your two examples are drilling platforms , the freighters will be docking at a port in Kitimat for loading of the bitumen
I don't know what you're worried about. David Black has it all figured out.

I believe pipelines have been extended off-coast to allow tanker access (Gulf of Mexico?), but those situations probably don't have to deal with the weather seen on Canada's West Coast. It could probably be pulled off, but the price might be too high.

As this is being hashed out, has the plan been modified to address environmental concerns, or has there been little cooperation?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #9464
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You couldn't build a port out there
What I was thinking.

We've got offshore terminals, but they're only out at anchorage depth, still on the continental shelf.
You haven't got a shelf up there... no where to go but in-shore.

And even at that, those pipelines to the terminals DO leak.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #9465
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know what you're worried about. David Black has it all figured out.

I believe pipelines have been extended off-coast to allow tanker access (Gulf of Mexico?), but those situations probably don't have to deal with the weather seen on Canada's West Coast. It could probably be pulled off, but the price might be too high.

As this is being hashed out, has the plan been modified to address environmental concerns, or has there been little cooperation?
That proposal is to build a refinery at Kitimat and export refined fuels , Enbridge's proposal is just to ship raw bitumen to Kitimat , and sell it in it's raw form to China

The proposal is under review right now but that whole exercise is a joke because the Feds essentially gutted the enviornmental assesment process and put a deadline on assesments to ensure they are streamlined ( ie fast-tracked )

http://www.cela.ca/newsevents/media-...ronmental-laws
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #9466
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

196 miles off of Newfoundland and it's less than 300ft deep?

I know guys who have gone 3 miles back into a cave and exceeded 400ft on Scuba!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #9467

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

Big shelf out there
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #9468
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

If you ever get a chance, watch the documentaries on the construction of Hibernia and Troll - I think they're both Discovery productions. Incredible projects.

Pete, that's what I was afraid of. When someone starts waving enough cash and jobs in everyone's faces, they usually get their way.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #9469

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you ever get a chance, watch the documentaries on the construction of Hibernia and Troll - I think they're both Discovery productions. Incredible projects.

Pete, that's what I was afraid of. When someone starts waving enough cash and jobs in everyone's faces, they usually get their way.
Our Prime Minister is intent on expanding Canada's oil exports into more diversified markets , which I can understand , unfortunately with a majority government , they are basically just rewriting the laws as they see fit to get their pet projects approved

He's actually in NYC today trying to tell Americans why they need to approve the Keystone XL pipeline to the Gulf States

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...-new-york.html
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #9470
Well, let's play chess.

Frankly, Keystone XL sounds like a better deal for Canada's environment.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #9471

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Frankly, Keystone XL sounds like a better deal for Canada's environment.
Problem is that we want to diversify the markets for our oil so that downturns in the US economy do not automatically effect our economy which unfortunately is the case now
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #9472
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Problem is that we want to diversify the markets for our oil so that downturns in the US economy do not automatically effect our economy which unfortunately is the case now
Have the Quebeckers ring up their French cousins and build some reactors. That's one of the things France seems to do reasonably well.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #9473

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have the Quebeckers ring up their French cousins and build some reactors. That's one of the things France seems to do reasonably well.
Canada builds nuclear reactors too , has done since the '70's

http://www.candu.com/en/home/candureactors/default.aspx
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #9474
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Canada builds nuclear reactors too , has done since the '70's

http://www.candu.com/en/home/candureactors/default.aspx
Sure, so do a lot of countries. Heck, even North Korean and Iran can do it, and Iraq had a reactor ... briefly.

But France seems to do it better than anyone else.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #9475

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure, so do a lot of countries. Heck, even North Korean and Iran can do it.

But France seems to do it better than anyone else.
For many years Canada has been a leader in nuclear research and technology, exporting reactor systems developed in Canada as well as a high proportion of the world supply of radioisotopes used in medical diagnosis and cancer therapy.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Co.../#.UZW1V6a9LCQ
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #9476
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
For many years Canada has been a leader in nuclear research and technology, exporting reactor systems developed in Canada as well as a high proportion of the world supply of radioisotopes used in medical diagnosis and cancer therapy.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Co.../#.UZW1V6a9LCQ
Pete, you're missing my point. I'm not bagging on Canada. France has an extensive nuclear power system that supplies around 85% of their electricity, a higher percentage than any other nation. They also seem to manage it fairly well, with low costs and relatively safe operation. I think the world could benefit from their knowledge.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #9477

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pete, you're missing my point. I'm not bagging on Canada. France has an extensive nuclear power system that supplies around 85% of their electricity, a higher percentage than any other nation. They also seem to manage it fairly well, with low costs and relatively safe operation. I think the world could benefit from their knowledge.
I know you're not bashing me

France had Iraq set up pretty good till the Isreali's showed up
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #9478
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
I know you're not bashing me

France had Iraq set up pretty good till the Isreali's showed up
Yeah, I just added that. ^^^
If you ever catch that documentary, it's very good. The actual strike pilots were interviewed. They must've modified their F-16s to accommodate their enormous balls.

Anyone that doesn't realize what's in the works for Iran's program is a fool.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #9479

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I just added that. ^^^
If you ever catch that documentary, it's very good. The actual strike pilots were interviewed. They must've modified their F-16s to accommodate their enormous balls.

Anyone that doesn't realize what's in the works for Iran's program is a fool.
I've seen that programme , pretty amazing feat

Products Discussed in this Thread