Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

The "40+" "Old Timers Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #10461
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I wasted a great day sitting in a dealership. Tomorrow is camper close-out day, along with some yard work. After that, I'll be cleaning up the Fit and Prius. I planned to upgrade the Tacoma's suspension this weekend, but it'll have to wait, as usual.

I'm watching a Nova episode on satellite data. It's encouraging to see how they're able to tie things together with so many fresh looks at Earth. I also wonder how much this research will help guide us in the future.
Well, as the NSA just proved, you can have all the goddamn data in the world, it doesn't mean shit if no one has the brains to use it properly.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #10462
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Well, as the NSA just proved, you can have all the goddamn data in the world, it doesn't mean shit if no one has the brains to use it properly.
Yeah, but the geeks on the show are really fired up about what they're learning, and in this case, I can't see a downside to it. Unraveling how the Earth works is a pretty cool job.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #10463
Never let your fear decide your fate
mommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kel
mommehK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Durango as in Colo. ?? Love that town hope it hasn't grown too much, always see the deer cruise thru town..

i had an uncle in Frisco very nice there too...
Yep...as in Colorado! Love it here, just moved here in January...it's about 10k strong here currently. I live on the northern side, there were packs and packs of mule deer hanging around all the time. Apparently there's a momma bear and a few cubs hanging around in the neighborhood recently...neighbor's granddaughter left the garage door open overnight and the bears ransacked/demolished a fridge out there. Whoops.

This was from my front door one morning in February:

Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #10464
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh now thats just awesome...

I've been a flatlander all my life but never felt right until about 6k plus of elevation & the smell of pitch.. energizes the soul
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #10465
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm not sure if it's cause for a or , but it looks like I won't be buying a new camera.

Leaving the battery out for a day reset it. I'm glad I won't be spending $500 for a Panasonic G5, but I'd like to know what upset the old Olympus. I don't want to tote a dead camera on a hike. All of the lens contacts appear clean, but I'll go over all of them anyway. The body and lenses haven't had the easiest life, but I try to keep them clean and dry. In three years, I've never had it fail.

Rich, do you have any contact cleaning suggestions? I'd prefer something chemical and precise, since optics are involved. I don't want pencil eraser debris on a sensor or rear element.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #10466
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
For a camera? Not really.
One of the best contact cleaners available used to be the old pre-greenhouse laws "Blue Shower".. worked wonders on guitars and amps.
But it was an aerosol, and the formula was changed in the 90s because of the CFCs.

Denatured alcohol is decent, that's the only thing I can think of offhand.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #10467
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
For a camera? Not really.
One of the best contact cleaners available used to be the old pre-greenhouse laws "Blue Shower".. worked wonders on guitars and amps.
But it was an aerosol, and the formula was changed in the 90s because of the CFCs.

Denatured alcohol is decent, that's the only thing I can think of offhand.
Thanks, I'll give that a try on a microfiber q-tip. There's no visible corrosion on any of the contacts, so nothing aggressive is needed. I've heard of similar problems coming from bad contacts. There's not much else I can do.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #10468
Well, let's play chess.

Got my first nasty comment about the Prius. A friend bitched that I never buy American. Not true, but it doesn't matter. I asked him to name some of the great Mericun alternatives to the Prius. No response. I asked him to name some great Mericun competitors to the Tacoma that fit my needs as well as it does. No response.

As soon as an American company gets their shit together, I'll probably buy from them. Not before. If I could get my wife to agree to it, I'd love to drive the Prius to work for a week and tell everyone I traded the Tacoma in. I had a co-worker tell me that the Tacoma was the first vehicle I owned that wasn't completely gay. Maybe I'll take him to lunch in the Prius.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #10469
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got my first nasty comment about the Prius. A friend bitched that I never buy American. Not true, but it doesn't matter. I asked him to name some of the great Mericun alternatives to the Prius. No response. I asked him to name some great Mericun competitors to the Tacoma that fit my needs as well as it does. No response.

As soon as an American company gets their shit together, I'll probably buy from them. Not before. If I could get my wife to agree to it, I'd love to drive the Prius to work for a week and tell everyone I traded the Tacoma in. I had a co-worker tell me that the Tacoma was the first vehicle I owned that wasn't completely gay. Maybe I'll take him to lunch in the Prius.

Oh !! you really DID get a prius......

I don't really know shit about them, guess the mileage is good tho'....
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #10470
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Oh !! you really DID get a prius......

I don't really know shit about them, guess the mileage is good tho'....
Yup, it's sitting next to the Tacoma. The "appliance" label really does fit the Prius. It's definitely a different experience. There's nothing terribly exciting about the driving dynamics, which is as it should be. I wonder how much of the fuel economy tech has filtered down to other Toyota products. I considered the plug-in version, but the extra cost wasn't justified for our use.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #10471
mommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mommehK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup, it's sitting next to the Tacoma. The "appliance" label really does fit the Prius. It's definitely a different experience. There's nothing terribly exciting about the driving dynamics, which is as it should be. I wonder how much of the fuel economy tech has filtered down to other Toyota products. I considered the plug-in version, but the extra cost wasn't justified for our use.
So is it still $5-8k to replace the battery in a Prius?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #10472
Political Correctness Sucks!
skb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
skb7527's Tacoma Gallery
As of today, I am an official member of the 40+ old timers thread...
Old 07-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #10473

mommehK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb7527 View Post
Happy happy bday ya old fart!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #10474
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Happy bday Scott!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #10475
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommehK View Post
So is it still $5-8k to replace the battery in a Prius?
Nope. I've seen prices around $2500 mentioned, but I'm not worried about it. Tests on 10 year old Prius batteries showed no impact on performance. Toyota has been conservative in how they utilize the battery. My hope is that if the battery dies in 10 years, I can find a smaller, lighter, and/or higher capacity replacement for a reasonable price. As many are on the road now, I can see a rebuilder market springing up to refit older models with newer tech.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #10476
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Welcome to the grown-ups section of the bar

Wassup all you other freaks?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #10478
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Welcome to the grown-ups section of the bar

Wassup all you other freaks?
Just busy kicking Pete in the nuts about his tiny post count.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #10479
Banned
They fuck over your post count again Pete? Hot enough for you yet Scott?

Spent 2.5 hours getting into the City for a quick hit job, sold a controller and a bunch of work, rolled out with a nice check, split to the beach for the rest of the day, local transit strike has fucked everything up, glad I don't have anymore jobs in the City anytime soon.

Products Discussed in this Thread