Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

The "40+" "Old Timers Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #12741
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Who you calling Canadian?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #12743
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I see their covering scheme for the mining operation went well. Those empty tankers won't see them until it's too late. Never trust a Canadian dolphin.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #12745
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Interesting, but at 1460 lbs, it's surprisingly heavy. My pop-up weighs 1650 lbs dry, has more room, and probably less aerodynamic drag. Funky hybrid design, though.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #12746
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Interesting, but at 1460 lbs, it's surprisingly heavy. My pop-up weighs 1650 lbs dry, has more room, and probably less aerodynamic drag. Funky hybrid design, though.
Same guys make this

http://www.taxafirefly.com/#2894
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #12748
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Talk about tight quarters! Looks very rugged and efficient. I can see it working for a field research station.

Quote:
Wow. I wonder how many miles and tons of water that beast has seen.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #12749
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
That plane is massive and awesome , seen it fight a forest fire and been up close when it was taking off

It can scoop up 8000 gallons in about 25 seconds

http://youtu.be/GkfHCRChve8
Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #12750
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
More gotta high tech every fricken thing. Why mess with what works?

Never mind ... I'm just in a grumpier than usual mood.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #12751
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This was shot today near where I live

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ands-1.2326288
The only time I have seen anything like that was in the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara about 8 years ago from a cruise ship. Massive pod on one side, and a while later another on the other side. Amazing and humbling. Current interaction there is special:
Park waters are also exceptionally productive. Cool, nutrient-rich ocean currents swirl around the islands, rising into abundant sunlight and mixing with warm coastal waters. The combination of nutrients and sun accelerates photosynthesis and the growth of multitudes of sea life all the way up the food chain-from microscopic plankton to blue whales.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Quote:
That cricket was on an RV TV show, and the designer is an ex-NASA engineer. Makes sense when you see his designs. Think capsules.
Quote:
That plane is massive and awesome , seen it fight a forest fire and been up close when it was taking off

It can scoop up 8000 gallons in about 25 seconds

http://youtu.be/GkfHCRChve8
Badass. But so high-maintenance and such severe operating conditions.

Planes like that boggle your sense of reality and physics when you see them hanging in the air at low speed like that. C5As are similar in the WTF department. But nothing beats the sound of four large radials like that. Jets got nothing on 'em. I'm mesmerized anytime a B-17 or B-24 makes the rounds for an air show.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #12752
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Planes like that boggle your sense of reality and physics when you see them hanging in the air at low speed like that. C5As are similar in the ETF department. But nothing beats the sound of four large radials like that. Jets got nothing on 'em. I'm mesmerized anytime a B-17 or B-24 makes the rounds for an air show.
Years ago, when stationed at Scott AFB in Illinois, a dependant wife living in base housing called into the Commander's Hotline to complain about C5s flying over base housing because it scared her and her kids (that it was going to fall out of the sky). We were all speechless for a minute. "You know you're living on an Air Force Base, right?"

One of the best parts of our seven years in England was the annual Air Fete at RAF Mildenhall --- AWESOME vintage WWII acft, Liberators and Spitfires were my favorites.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #12753
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The only time I have seen anything like that was in the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara about 8 years ago from a cruise ship. Massive pod on one side, and a while later another on the other side. Amazing and humbling. Current interaction there is special:
Park waters are also exceptionally productive. Cool, nutrient-rich ocean currents swirl around the islands, rising into abundant sunlight and mixing with warm coastal waters. The combination of nutrients and sun accelerates photosynthesis and the growth of multitudes of sea life all the way up the food chain-from microscopic plankton to blue whales.

That cricket was on an RV TV show, and the designer is an ex-NASA engineer. Makes sense when you see his designs. Think capsules.

Badass. But so high-maintenance and such severe operating conditions.

Planes like that boggle your sense of reality and physics when you see them hanging in the air at low speed like that. C5As are similar in the ETF department. But nothing beats the sound of four large radials like that. Jets got nothing on 'em. I'm mesmerized anytime a B-17 or B-24 makes the rounds for an air show.
I live near Buchanan Field, you can always tell the sound of those 17's and 24's, nothing else in the world sounds like them. Of all the things I would have liked to have been witness to, Krakatoa erupting, the New Madrid Event that made the Mississippi flow backwards, Anchorage Event, I would have loved to have seen and heard what a 1000 B-17's in the sky overhead was like.

Oh that and I would have like to have been there to see Pontius put the the Spear in.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #12754
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I live near Buchanan Field, you can always tell the sound of those 17's and 24's, nothing else in the world sounds like them. Of all the things I would have liked to have been witness to, Krakatoa erupting, the New Madrid Event that made the Mississippi flow backwards, Anchorage Event, I would have loved to have seen and heard what a 1000 B-17's in the sky overhead was like.

Oh that and I would have like to have been there to see Pontius put the the Spear in.
Evening Chris.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #12755
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Evening Chris.
Wassup Rob?
Here's a quote from something I posted on FB that happened to me today, some people....

XXXXX So I'm at a new account today, Kas is alright I guess, he's not home but his 8 yr old daughter and the nanny is. Well the 8 yr old comes out and wants to help with planting a few plants, it's gonna slow me down but I figure what the hell, she's a kid, teachable moments. Kid has a blast, she's getting muddy, can barely lift the trencher shovel with clay stuck to it but she figures out how to stand on it anyways. I'm teaching her about roots and bees and soil, really smart girl. So we do this for about an hour, I send her in so I can blow this place. 15 minutes later Kas comes home and he asks me how she got so dirty and I tell him she wanted to help me plant the plants. He complains about her getting mud in the house. That's it.....Am I missing something here????? Out of the kindness of my heart I spent and hour with your daughter teaching her about the natural world and she had an absolute blast IN A FAIRY COSTUME I might add (minus the wings), I didn't have to do shit for anyone, and you just complain??? I ain't looking for no thank yous or nuthin but an acknowledgement would have been nice you twit. Your kid loved it! She absolutely loved every freakin minute of it! Whatever, some people man.

• QQQQQQ Kids aren't necessarily the best decision makers. Who knows? Maybe the guy has white carpets or maybe the kid needed to be someplace or maybe it just made more work the guy didn't have time for?

It's great that you took the time for the kid. I'm sure that's all she talked about for the rest of the day-kids are like that.

But we have to remember when they're not ours a quick "let's see what XX says" helps avoid the butthurt later.

Personally, I'd be happy you spent that time.
    23 minutes ago · Like

• OOOO Kinda like feeding other people's dog right ian
    20 minutes ago · Like

• XXXXXXXI agree pretty much with what you're sayin Ian, but, It's not my job to watch your kids, if your kid comes out and is doin something he or she shouldn't or is is out when I need them to be inside I will say something, but kids are kids, if they are not in any danger and not in my way what they get into is not my responsibility.
    7 minutes ago · Like

• XXXXXXI talked to the nanny before I left, she was about my age, I told her next time I'll give her a heads up, we laughed about it. We both talked about our own kids getting into stuff and me dragging my kid onto jobsites, I think our impression was that this guy was being rather over-protective.
    4 minutes ago · Like

Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #12756
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
I remember the Martin Mars bomber from the '98 Mt Ida fire in Salmon Arm. Watched it swoop in low over the Fly Hills, power back and glide onto Shuswap Lake, powering back up, and after half a minute or so ever so gradually climb back up. It must have been half way to Revelstoke before it gained enough altitude to turn back to the fire. Very impressive sight and sound; made it easy to convince folks they should leave their homes in advance of the flames, when it flew a few hundred feet over the homes.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #12757
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wassup Rob?
Here's a quote from something I posted on FB that happened to me today, some people....

You're a good guy taking time with the kid.

As far as him being upset about the kid being dirty and bringing dirt in the house ... whatever .

I'd just shrug it off ... which it sounds like you already have.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #12758
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Years ago, when stationed at Scott AFB in Illinois, a dependant wife living in base housing called into the Commander's Hotline to complain about C5s flying over base housing because it scared her and her kids (that it was going to fall out of the sky). We were all speechless for a minute. "You know you're living on an Air Force Base, right?"

One of the best parts of our seven years in England was the annual Air Fete at RAF Mildenhall --- AWESOME vintage WWII acft, Liberators and Spitfires were my favorites.
I so want to get to Mildenhall, and/or Farnborogh. Another UK trip is due in the not too distant future, and timing it to hit Mildenhall would be superb. I've never been to a show there, but I have been to the RAF Hendon museum and the Bovington Tank Museum.
Quote:

Chris I'm so glad you posting again. You need a tardis.

It's true, I've thought that about how terrifying it would have been to be a hausfrau in Dusseldorf in the 40s as the aluminum overcast appears on the horizon...again...

Fucking Nazis. Fuck 'em.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #12759
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
It's true, I've thought that about how terrifying it would have been to be a hausfrau in Dusseldorf in the 40s as the aluminum overcast appears on the horizon...again...
Daniel Bukvich had the same thought. I played this many years ago; not a happy piece. We did it with a projection system and some pyrotechnics behind the band. The Mighty Eighth rolls in around 5:55. This is a good performance, but youtube doesn't do it justice.

http://youtu.be/0WcPEc7LUrI

I wish I had a video of our performance. That's only time I've been allowed to sing while playing. It's hard to hear in that video, but the low brass is intentionally out of tune to recreate the engine drone. Singing while playing amps that effect up even more. I've always screwed around doing that and decided to try it for that section. The conductor liked it so all of us did it. The rest of the band whistled for the falling bombs, with people screaming and shouting before impact. We didn't rehearsed it with the effects, so I never got to see how it came together. We had footage of flak firing above us on the screens, buildings burning, with flashbangs going off. Incredibly cool to be in the middle of all that.

Our only mistake was ending with it. Lots of good, relatively happy music leading up to it, and it stunned the audience. The program notes gave some details of the attack, so there was no mistaking what was being portrayed. You can't really follow the firebombing of Dresden with Grainger.

On another concert, we played a piece about the bombing of Hiroshima, but it's more about the rebirth after the event. Not nearly as dark.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #12760
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I so want to get to Mildenhall, and/or Farnborogh. Another UK trip is due in the not too distant future, and timing it to hit Mildenhall would be superb. I've never been to a show there, but I have been to the RAF Hendon museum and the Bovington Tank Museum.

If you go to Mildenhall, Duxford is on the way and well worth the stop.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

We caught Farnborough a couple times as well. Air Shows in the UK are the best! (IMHO)

I just checked online, I guess Mildenhall Air Fete was suspended after 9/11. We left there 21 Oct 2001. But rumblings (as of Feb 2012) are for it's return in 2014.

Products Discussed in this Thread