1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    zapper

zapper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    Not having been over there, I wonder sometimes, after reading about it, seeing the pictures, talking to men and women who were there, would I have been as strong and brave as you all? How would the experience have affected me today? My humble respect to all of you that were there and still remember.

2. Nov 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    x2 :bowdown: to all who went through that

get a golf cart, easy on your knee, he gets all the exercise he wants :cool:

How's the wing?

3. Nov 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Morning everyone! Busy week here. I'm about to walk into a lunch where we'll hammer out the details of a $2.5mil gift to the college - the largest single donation we've ever received. Can you say "score!"

4. Nov 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
  5. Nov 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :woot: Great job!!!

:woot: :woot:

6. Nov 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Going to be hard to be stewards of that large donations. Keeping the wishes of the donor in the forefront is the best policy and the correct thing to do.

7. Nov 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    The U.S. government has just passed a new law called:

"The affordable boat act" declaring that every citizen MUST purchase a new boat, by April 2014.

These "affordable" boats will cost an average of $54,000-$155,000 each. This does not include taxes, trailers, towing fees, licensing and registration fees, fuel, docking and storage fees, maintenance or repair costs.

This law has been passed, because until now, typically only wealthy and financially responsible people have been able to purchase boats. This new laws ensures that every American can now have a "affordable" boat of their own, because everyone is "entitled" to a new boat. If you purchase your boat before the end of the year, you will receive 4 "free" life jackets; not including monthly usage fees.

In order to make sure everyone purchases an affordable boat, the costs of owning a boat will increase on average of 250-400% per year. This way, wealthy people will pay more for something that other people don't want or can't afford to maintain. But to be fair, people who cant afford to maintain their boat will be regularly fined and children (under the age of 26) can use their parents boats to party on until they turn 27; then must purchase their own boat.

If you already have a boat, you can keep yours (just kidding; no you can't). If you don't want or don't need a boat, you are required to buy one anyhow. If you refuse to buy one or cant afford one, you will be regularly fined $800 until you purchase one or face imprisonment.

Failure to use the boat will also result in fines. People living in the desert; ghettos; inner cities or areas with no access to lakes are not exempt. Age, motion sickness, experience, knowledge nor lack of desire are acceptable excuses for not using your boat.

A government review board (that doesn't know the difference between the port, starboard or stern of a boat) will decide everything, including; when, where, how often and for what purposes you can use your boat along with how many people can ride your boat and determine if one is too old or healthy enough to be able to use their boat. They will also decide if your boat has out lived its usefulness or if you must purchase specific accessories,(like a $500 compass) or a newer and more expensive boat.

Those that can afford yachts will be required to do so...its only fair. The government will also decide the name for each boat. Failure to comply with these rules will result in fines and possible imprisonment.

Government officials are exempt from this new law. If they want a boat, they and their families can obtain boats free, at the expense of tax payers. Unions, bankers and mega companies with large political affiliations ($$$) are also exempt.

8. Nov 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Evening all: :woot::woot::woot:

Hey Jim; saw that on a fishing site I'm on!
    My reply was: I can't afford a new boat, so mine will be subsidized and I will get it for free. Gee guys, thanks for the new boat! :D
    They nuked the thread shortly after that reply!

9. Nov 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Wonder if the Government will mandate that everyone will have to have a Ferrari? I will be in on that one. Boat not so much.

10. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    HOPE SO!
    You will have to pay $4,200 a mo. for your Ferrari, but I will get mine for $.99 a mo. You make too much, and I'm low income! Darn, I like this. :rolleyes:
    Just wonder how the new Ferrari will tow the new boat? I hope they also give me some gas money! :rofl:

Just read the article Capt.
    They are sure thinning out the fleet.
    Looks like we're going to be more dependent on air power. :notsure:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Carl:
    I am retired and on a fixed income. ;)

12. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :eek: But we're (Air Force) sending brand new paid for aircraft to the bone yard upon delivery.

:rolleyes: Makes you wonder who the hell is steering this thing??? :mad:

13. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Dont spend any more $$ on the taco,,,Coming in 2015 the affordable caddy act. everyone has the right to a new cad.[​IMG]

Read that last year going with more & more long range drones. Lots of good fleet for scrap.:mad:.

14. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    That is a BIG litter ... and a lot of work. ;)

15. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    AH HA! YOU have income! :bucket:

I bet Jim could show you! ;)

16. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Just like the rest of the military, they are all downsizing. Wonder what's gonna happen if we get into another "war" and the military is smaller than it is now :eek: :eek:

:sorry: you must have forgotten the "s" when you mentioned her before :p That's a big litter of pups.

17. Nov 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

18. Nov 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    I'm holding out until I can get one of those bone yard planes:D Maybe a stealth fighter or a bomber :thumbsup:. Being soon to be retired, I'll be on a fixed income so I could get it for free....

19. Nov 7, 2013 at 2:59 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Morning all!

The only thing missing in the Affordable Boat Act is the fact that employers will face taxes if they provide you with a salary that allows you to buy a "Cadillac" boat - it's not fair to everyone else if your employer goes over and above just a basic boat.

No problem on meeting the intentions of the donor (it's actually a corporation and I'll be able to tell you who it is next spring). $1mil in case goes to the college's endowment. $1.5 mil comes in equipment and services over 5 years - those have been generally defined in a document now with some things as "mandatory" and others flexible since our needs/wants may change over the 5 years. It will make more sense when I can tell you who it is.

We also kicked off our first-ever lecture series at the college. We have been wanting to do this for several years and have finally put everything in place to pull it off. Our first series is the Energy Education Series and will focus on issues related to the Marcellus Shale gas field. This lecture focused on community health issues - we had a great turn-out for our first event.

Back to the grind of trying to reinvent our board of trustees process and by-laws today. Exciting! Not.

20. Nov 7, 2013 at 3:03 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :wave: Good Morning 6. Have a great day! ... despite the lack of excitement.

Products Discussed in

To Top