Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Airborne, or Air Assault?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Airborne, or Air Assault?

This post has two questions. (1) Between the two, which would you rather do if you could only do one, and why? (Bonus points for those who've actually done one or both.)

Airborne

Air Assault

(2) For the military-minded, with our current-style of conflict in the world, which insertion operation do you see more useful to our military? I've been hearing from many that airborne operations, especially large-scale invasion tactics (like those used during WWII) are absolutely dead, and things are looking in favor to air assault.

What's your opinion?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
rather do airborne, more practical: Air assault, but both would be fun
Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
Done Airborne school, been on air assaults, Airborne school was a joke but is a door opener for lots of other cool jobs. Air Assault I have heard is a joke of a school as well but teaches some good stuff.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Can't say I've done either (wish I could), but i would say that large scale airborne missions are almost non-existent but small team based airborne insertions seem to be more common.
just my view, who knows
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Stop talking and START wheeling
RicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really nice

Army: Co.C 6/31st Inf.
RicnDenver's Tacoma Gallery
Airborne: you jump out, decend real SLOW, with a BIG chutte = an EASY target, for the enemy.
Air Assault: go in fast and low = harder, smaller target.

Just look at the pics you post, if you was the enemy, which would be easier to shot ??? that sould answer your own question...
But you got my respect for wanting to join either

GO ARMY
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
I am AIRBORNE, it's a joke of a school. You basically can teach a monkey to jump out of a plane, static line does the rest.

Been to AIR ASSAULT, much more physical and mentally challenging then AB, but the only practical skill tought there was Fast Roping. No one is going to repel into combat. Fast roping allows for quick insertions on to roof tops and such.

Besides that, both are worth promotion points, one earns you cash if on status, and in the end they should both be done away with the changing operational enviorment we are encountering.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't want do either of them. In the service, for me, it was all about ribbons and medals. If you had them then you where moving up. The closer you got to getting out the less you wanted them. Why? It's a risk. It's not about what looks cool, job or uniform, it's about doing your job and coming home. Now someone has to do it, but if you get a chance to do something that will help you out in the civilian world, then that's your best bet. For me, I'm stuck doing what I do. There isn't much of a demand for cannon cockers or ground pounders in our job market here in the US of A. I loved training and shooting and being a Marine but it's not much help out here? BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW! KILL! KILL! KILL!

Life changes everyday, so choose wisely!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was just reading a thing on a military forum about airborne school:

Quote:
I had a hung jumper while Jumpmastering in Alaska. This fruity littly Lt., about 5'4" tall, with about 170lbs. of gear on him. Hell, the weapons case was bigger than this short little fooker. Anyway, he was the last jumper on the pass, and he comes stumbling up to the door, makes a right turn, then falls our the door, head first. I saw the static line track down to the bottom edge of the door, and stay there. I thought, "Oh shit," and looked out the door to see this little prick spinning round and round, bouncing against the rear of the aircraft. I came back in, told the flight crew that we had a hung jumper, then stuck my head back out, saw that the Lt. had enough brains to assume the "I'm OK" position, came back in and cut the fucker away with my handy dandy Air Force switchblade. I looked back out of the door, and tracked him to the ground. It was sort of Wily Coyote-ish: he just got smaller (no reserve) and smaller (no reserve), then it LOOKED like a poof in the snow as he hit the ground, and THEN his reserve popping out. Fortunately (for him), he was OK (beaten up a little but that was all) what I found (after an investigation) had happened was that, when the Lt took the header out the door, his static line got wrapped around his weapons case. Then after he was cut away, his ruck flew up in front of his reserve (no lower tie down), so his reserve deployed into his ruck. He was finally able to push his ruck out of the so that his reserve finally deployed about 100' above the ground. Then he hit an 8' snow drift, which probably saved him from a lot more pain. All in all, he was a lucky bastard.

That's crazy. But I still want to jump outta airplanes.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
wow. thats one lucky sumbitch
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
pucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11b infantry
Name: Mike
pucksniper's Tacoma Gallery
i was both !!! also earned my RANGER tab !!!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #11

Which did you like better? Or were they both the same to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboat haulin taco View Post
RANGER
Hooah.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
pucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11b infantry
Name: Mike
pucksniper's Tacoma Gallery
when i was in ....................many years ago i was in the 101st..... air assault infantry unit
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
retiredjumper is on a distinguished road
Army: 11Z Infantry retired
retiredjumper's Tacoma Gallery
I have been to both courses and even taught one , served I'm both types of units in combat. Aas is more physical and more technical, the thing taughtthere that is most used is slingloading equipment, its true you learn to rappel and fast rope . I even went to rappel master and fries master. Never used that shit in real life, only sling load.
Abn on the other hand, I have over 120 jumps and served in Abn units for 17+ years. The troops must volunteer, they get new equipment first. If they have poor soldiers they can boot them easier. Extra pay is nice, Abn school though being easier is reqiired for special ops in all services. Also contrary to popular belief, is used quite regularly and I would never rule out a mass tactical invasion! As to the argument of easy target I have to call BS which is harder target to hit , helo hovering at 60-90 feet or airplane moving 130 knots at 800- 1250. Can you rappel or fastrope out of a crashing helo? Hell no, but I can jump out of a crashing A/C! No brainer! Also have to call bullshit on the towed jumper story, first off you are required to attempt a recovery of said jumper(unless its a combat jump). Second they would have to request, permission to cut him free and no general officer will give that permission. Third I was stationed in Alaska and read the history of jump accidents, also am still in contact with many jump masters currently there, None of them is aware of said fairy tale cause I emailed 6 of them with 4 of them reply with BS, other no response yet!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
stay home and smoke some crack..Why does it matter which one you do? I would tell vote for Airborne, I say this because you will have more OPS' and travel fun.In Grenada there was soem funky shit going on when the 101 pooped on them. Dont be a Pussy.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
My brother did the Air Assault school at Fort Hood last year. He's been wanting to go to Airborne school, but his unit wouldn't pay to send him. Chances are, he will only get to go if he reenlists, which he probably won't do at this point. He said the rigging was cool, and the fast roping was sort of fun, but that it hurt too much using the rope harnesses, instead of a real climbing harness. Said he had a bunch of bruises around his legs and groin area from the ropes. Other than that he had fun riding up in the helicopters.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
you need airborne to jump out of planes, but you dont need air assault to do a air assault.