1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dog Tips

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacovic, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    Ill be picking up a male yellow lab in about 5-6 weeks and this will be my first dog. I have noticed that there are alot of dog lovers here so I figured I would toss out some questions I have. I am a college student and my friend and I are moving into a nice apartment in september. It is all wood floors and has a small fenced in "Backyard" that is covered in cement. There is a communal yard about 10 feet from our front door and a park right across the street. Should I teach the pup to piss/poo in the backyard area with something down on the cement like turf or something, or should I teach him to go in the yard? It would be easier for him to go in the backyard area but I do not know what I could put down on the cement. What is the best way to potty train a puppy? Where should the pup sleep at first? And any tips or advise on how to train him? I really want the dog to be very obedient. I will also use him to hunt every once in a while. Also, any general tips you could give to a first time puppy owner?

2. Jul 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    a yellow lab? he will eat all of your shoes within the first week if you let him, all of the Labs I have had were chewers for the first year or two, oh and diggers too. Do you have lots of time to spend with him, if not you might want to wait, also he will need to get out and get that puppy enenergy out or you could be in for some trouble.

3. Jul 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    tacovic

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    So keep shoes out of sight huh.

4. Jul 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:

shoes, socks, tissue really anything seems to be a treat

5. Jul 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    You sure you're ready for a dog right now? They're a HUGE commitment and more work than having a kid. Think long and hard about it before you make life miserable for yourself and the dog.

...sorry to be the hater but somebody needs to...bad idea IMO.

6. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff

SO TRUE..

7. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    Mskwared

Mskwared Well-Known Member

Member:
    I pay like $40 every two or three weeks in food. Not too horrible. Vet bills will rape you though...My dog jammed his leg while playing fetch or when my roommates were wrestling with him...ill see if i can find the actual bill tonight for a price breakdown..was way more than i expected

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Oh yea the vet bills are crazy. Almost wish I could add my dog to my insurance plan

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Give the Dog something more apealing to chew. When I get a new dog, I give it a 1x1x8 peice of wood, depending on the size of the dog, and let it go nuts. Does it make a mess? Dam right. BUT, I have never lost footware, furniture, or a house, due to an over actively chewing dog. And my recent pups are 4 legged paranas..

10. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Oh and i almost forgot about how bad labs have gas [​IMG]

they are a ton of work to get where you probably want him. He will only listen to you and obey if you put the time in and work with him. Otherwise they get bored easily and begin to eat your home. If you spend the time I think labs are one of the best breeds out there, we always had them growing up. Now as anadult I know I am not home enough between myself my wife and our son and that it would not be fair to a dog. It's a tough call but something you do need to thing long and hard about. He will need you all the time for the next 10-15 years.

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    First of all, did you get permission from the landlord? Having those kind of floors would be risky in terms of damage and a landlord might not allow it. Dog nails scratch hardwood pretty good. Also, if he makes a mistake on the floor, if you don't get it right away, it might stain it.

Puppies will whine when left alone and some dogs will bark constantly. Being in an apt the neighbors might be a little close.

I currently have three dogs and two cats. The dogs as puppies were crate trained - meaning, at nights they were in the crate. Dogs will not soil where they sleep. First thing in the morning I would let him or her out to go to the bathroom.

During the day when until they were potty trained I blocked them off into the kitchen with baby gates so that if they made a mistake, it was easy clean up and sanitize.

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    tacovic

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    Thanks for the replies guys. Ill clarify a couple things. Yes, dogs are allowed at our apartment. The apartments are set up more like a townhome. It is 3 stories with a basement and you would not be able to hear anything from a neighbor. Also, my girlfriends dad is a vet and has already said that he would help me out (Discount) with shots and whatever else the dog needs. I will be taking a decent amount of online classes this upcoming year so I will be at home a lot and have a good amount of free time to work with him. I know how big of a commitment it is and I have thought long and hard about the pros/cons.

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Looks like you are prepared somewhat. Good job! :)

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:

Sounds good man, take a ton of pics, they wont be so small for too long.

15. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    tacovic

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    Any tips on potty training?

16. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    tacovic

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
  17. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    Iakopa84

Iakopa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Aries Grille Guard, PIAA 520 xtreme ATP lights, K&N high-flow intake, 2.5" velocity front leveling kit
    I've heard not to use those training pads you place on the floor in the house. While they encourage the dog to go on the pad, it teaches them that going to the bathroom inside your home is acceptable.

What I did was to take my pup out for half an hour after I fed her (breakfast and dinner), watch for a lot of sniffing around in a concentrated spot, and if it starts to go, pick it up immediately and take it to a designated bathroom place.

When outside with my dog to get her to go to the bathroom, I would keep saying "go potty" until she would do her bizz.. then I'd give her a bunch of praise and love afterward. As the pup progresses, when you take them out, they'll know that "go potty" will result in a good thing for them.

Good luck!

18. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I agree. Dogs need a lot of attention. They need to be out to pee every 3-4 hours unless you train him to pee and poop in a cat litter pan like mine :D we just got another dog this year. I kinda wished I didn't but wife wanted it. Have to worry about where the dog will go when your on vacation. If you come home drunk after a party and don't feel like walking him.if your stuck in class all day. Think long and hard cuz it's long road. Don't forget bet bills suck and always come at the worst time

19. Jul 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    ALWAYS reward them for doing things right.
    NEVER punish them for leaving one on the floor. It's already too late.
    A Lab will sort it out pretty quickly.

20. Jul 7, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    First thing make sure your dog is crate trained and not just put in the crate for being bad. My two dogs hang out in there crates sometimes because it is there space and get a crate that has a removable tray in the bottom so you can take it outside to spray it off with a hose.

Training takes lots of time you may want to spend the money and get a dvd on how to train your dog especially if you want to hunt him and remember when you work with training the dog especially a pup they have a really really short attention span. Remember be consistent and dont expect too much right away.

Potty Training - give the pup a treat when he goes to the bath room outside.

Remember yelling/hitting your pup doesnt do anything, they dont understand english and if the dog screws up in the middle of the day you cant correct them 4 hours later after the fact they have no idea why you are mad. When you need to correct your dog do it in a way that another dog would correct them. By that I mean grab the scruff of the pups neck it will get his attention. I breeder told me that and it has worked wonders.

Do some homework before hand on quality dog foods the most advertised foods are definately not the best foods and the quality foods dont cost that much more. When comparing foods use a calculator to figure out the cost per pound because each brand comes in different sized containers.

Products Discussed in

To Top