Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

The best phone call I ever got..

Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
The best phone call I ever got..

So long story short, one of my long time friends/detailing clients/racing instructor called me yesterday about buying a ZR1 Vette. He said he had found the right one and was going to make a move on it. I of course approved of this action. That's when he dropped the bombshell.

"I want to fly you to Colorado to pick it up"

Needless to say I was speechless. I spent all of last night wondering if he was really going to do this. Until 45 minutes ago when he called me and said, "Pack your bags". So this Wednesday I will be flying to Denver and then driven up to Frederick, CO to pick up his new ZR1 and drive it back home. 1,200 miles give or take. I'm still in shock, and so I'm turning to my L4P brothers for help. Where should I stop along the way? What are the must see places? Is anyone willing to let me couch surf?

Basically, I need your guys advice on places to stay overnight and things to see along the way, along with tips for making a 1,200 mile drive in a 638 horsepower super-Vette. I appreciate any help guys
Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I hate you, you lucky lucky bastard... that is all

EDIT: Good luck, enjoy the trip!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
dude those things as BEASTLY...drove one when i was working at a chevy service center....all i can say is your in for a treat!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Smoke em up!!! I want videos of you roasting the tires!! haha Have a safe trip..
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely return to Cali via US Highway 50 "The Lonliest Highway In America."

It's a scenic beautiful 2 lane that goes through the mountains and deserts of Utah and Nevada. Much prettier than taking Interstate 80 or Interstate 70.

Naturally I would never recommend another TW member to exceed the posted speed limit.

...however, even if you choose to do so on the open highway, do be sure to observe the posted speed limits going through the small towns along the way, as that's where the local folks and their constabulary are most sensitive about observing and enforcing speed and safety regulations.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Shetto24 is on a distinguished road

Shetto24's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the US50 route...nice and scenic.

Or, I80 and make a pass on the salt flats outside Salt Lake City!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shetto24 View Post
I agree with the US50 route...nice and scenic.

Or, I80 and make a pass on the salt flats outside Salt Lake City!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
get a tire plug kit and a pump no spare tire
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
Thats my main issue, I think I might take 80 since I have family in Reno. And I watched that Top Gear episode earlier this morning since I'm basically running the reverse of their route.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Don't speed and or just dont get caught speeding
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
Smoke em up!!! I want videos of you roasting the tires!! haha Have a safe trip..
x2. OP better practice saying "but the rear tires were bald when I picked it up..."

OP you prob want to pack lightly. I don't think there's much room in those things. Good luck and enjoy the ride. And when you get back pics or it didn't happen
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Mall Crawler of the Year

TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
Oh there will be plenty of pics. And I will have my Valentine 1 for speeding. The guy who bought it was my racing instructor and taught me everything about racing so I think he knows that I will give her a little speed.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you take US 50, the fastest way to come back is to come through Reno and take 80 over the Sierras.

Also, if you have time, go through the town of Estes Park and take Trail Ridge Road over the Eastern Rockies and through Rocky Mountain national park. That is NOT a fast drive, but it sure is pretty.

Your _shortest_ route is simply I25 North, US 287 West, I80 West. But where's the fun in that?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
One other thing - on my Road Trip last summer from CA through the SouthWest and into Colorado, I saw more State Troopers in Colorado than in all other states combined, including CA.

No exaggeration.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBen View Post
So long story short, one of my long time friends/detailing clients/racing instructor called me yesterday about buying a ZR1 Vette. He said he had found the right one and was going to make a move on it. I of course approved of this action. That's when he dropped the bombshell.

"I want to fly you to Colorado to pick it up"

Needless to say I was speechless. I spent all of last night wondering if he was really going to do this. Until 45 minutes ago when he called me and said, "Pack your bags". So this Wednesday I will be flying to Denver and then driven up to Frederick, CO to pick up his new ZR1 and drive it back home. 1,200 miles give or take. I'm still in shock, and so I'm turning to my L4P brothers for help. Where should I stop along the way? What are the must see places? Is anyone willing to let me couch surf?

Basically, I need your guys advice on places to stay overnight and things to see along the way, along with tips for making a 1,200 mile drive in a 638 horsepower super-Vette. I appreciate any help guys

1200 miles(638hp)/holy shit= 2.5 hours

Yea so if my math is correct you should be able to make it home in about 2.5hrs if you are fully gunning it in that goddamn space ship. You are so lucky lol

My work almost flew me to AZ to drive back a 2010 Acura MDX. They decided to fly it here
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Light those tires up!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Mall Crawler of the Year

TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
I seriously cannot wait to fly out. So 50 to 80? How does this nonsense work? haha
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBen View Post
So 50 to 80? How does this nonsense work?
Once you get to Fallon, you're pretty much back on the beaten track (at least as far a Nevada goes) and it's not "Lonely Highway" anymore.

And Fallon to Reno is a fairly major route.

Basically, shortly after you pass through Fallon, you take the "Reno Highway" fork (US 50 Alternate) going more Northward to Fernley, where it meets up with I80.

For turn by turn, use google maps to get directions from Fallon to Fernley.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If I were doing it and I had plenty of time, this is the route I'd take, including going through Rocky Mountain National Park, and US34/US40 through the Eastern slope.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fr...=8&via=1,2&z=8

Once you're in Reno, you know how best to get back to your house far better than I do.

EDIT: If I had a little less time, I'd take I25 South to I70, and bypass Rocky Mountain National Park. That cuts about two hours off. Alternatively, if you really wanted to go crazy, you could take US40 all the way to Provo, then I15 down to US50. That only adds another hour or so, and you get to spend even more time on mountainous two lane. Actually - that's probably the route that best suits your intent - as far as seeking out the most fun-to-drive route from there back to here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fr...&via=1,2,3&z=8

Using that second route, you'd probably spend the first night at Provo/Spanish Fork, and the second night in Reno.