Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Insurance-Progressive Snapshot??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
So what exactly are you supposed to do when you get on the highway where the speed limit is 65-70?
Great question.... I guess the answer is that if this is designed for a secondary vehicle, it's not very likely that you'll be on the freeway in said vehicle
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
STAY AWAY FROM IT.

We will not like the day when this becomes law and it's on the way. Don't fall for the bullshit, it will screw you in the end. It just provides data they can use to "justify" raising your rates at some later time...RUN AWAY don't walk.
That's when we will need one of those performance chips to tell the progressive thing you're always doing 20 mph instead of it telling the engine the intake air temp is always 40 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I'd never change to Progressive just because of that women their commercials!!
Oh c'mon, you wouldn't take blow from Flo?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozotaco View Post
So I've decided that I wasn't too pleased with state farm and gave progressive a call. They gave me a lower rate with the same coverage but also offered something interesting. If I do their SNAPSHOT program I'll likely get another 25% off insurance. The program requires that I plug some device into my diagnostic port and drive with it for six months. Problem is I have a scangauge hooked up and love it. However for 25% cost savings I figure it may be wise. Has anyone done this, or have experience with it?? Anyway to get a spliter that will allow me to plug both devices in?

Thanks
6 month snapshot? more like a bi-annual driving log upload.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #24
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Oh c'mon, you wouldn't take blow from Flo?
Ask me, ask me....
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #25
Unzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3/3 SFG(A) Retired
Name: Randy
Unzapato's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know anything about the snapshot deal, but I used to have Progressive. They jacked my insurance up almost $800 per year for being in an accident that was caused by the other driver. My driving record is perfect too. I called them about it and they agreed to knock it down by $50. I switched the next day.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #26
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Progressive is more than Allstate

Their commercial is deceiving.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
update: After enrolling in the SnapShot program I now get to pay 28% less!
Seems worth it.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
update: After enrolling in the SnapShot program I now get to pay 28% less!
Seems worth it.
Good deal and thanks for the info!!!

1.) Were you with them prior to the "snapshot"?

2.) Do you have exactly the same coverage on the exact car or truck?

3.) Has anything about you changed such as tickets, multi-car or coverage of other properties?

4.) Can you detail you driving habits?

5.) Can you provide some info on yourself such as age, or marriage status?

6.) Do you or anyone living with you have any other dealings with them such as checking, life, employment (by them or related companies) or other investments?

7.) Did you, in any way, alter your driving or data collection device in order to skew the information?

I sure understand if you don't want to answer some or all of my questions but at least please keep us updated on how thing go with them....

I'm very concerned about the "big brother" thing and my status may, for a lot of reasons, be different then yours.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Good deal and thanks for the info!!!

1.) Were you with them prior to the "snapshot"?

2.) Do you have exactly the same coverage on the exact car or truck?

3.) Has anything about you changed such as tickets, multi-car or coverage of other properties?

4.) Can you detail you driving habits?

5.) Can you provide some info on yourself such as age, or marriage status?

6.) Do you or anyone living with you have any other dealings with them such as checking, life, employment (by them or related companies) or other investments?

7.) Did you, in any way, alter your driving or data collection device in order to skew the information?

I sure understand if you don't want to answer some or all of my questions but at least please keep us updated on how thing go with them....

I'm very concerned about the "big brother" thing and my status may, for a lot of reasons, be different then yours.
Dang that's a lot of questions...I'll see what I can do.

1:Progressive policy holder since 2007
2:Same truck and coverage since 2008
3:A few speeding tickets, 1 hail damage claim, and a cracked windshield replacement
4: 50 miles a day. 25 miles between 6:45 and 7:30 AM. 25 miles somewhere between 5:30 and 8 PM (depending on when I finish work) Paved country roads in VT. Hard accelerating up hills, sharp corners, sudden speed changes. Speeds between 25 and 70 mph.
5: 26 y/o, single.
6: No other policies with progressive or affiliates
7: I did nothing different with my driving habits. I tend to drive aggressively and slightly over the posted speed limit when it seems safe.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #31

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Nate!

Now if I can get past the big brother thing...
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #32

Another update:
I just got the request from Progressive to finally return the device. I guess the trial period is over. End result is a permanent 28% discount, and no more "big brother". I knew there was a "preliminary discount" that was applied after about a month of driving, but then I found out I had to keep the device plugged in after that. I couldn't find any info about how long the device had to stay plugged in so I just stuck with it. Happy with their discount program overall.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #33
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another update:
I just got the request from Progressive to finally return the device. I guess the trial period is over. End result is a permanent 28% discount, and no more "big brother". I knew there was a "preliminary discount" that was applied after about a month of driving, but then I found out I had to keep the device plugged in after that. I couldn't find any info about how long the device had to stay plugged in so I just stuck with it. Happy with their discount program overall.
So what do you end up paying monthly (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
So what do you end up paying monthly (if you don't mind me asking)?
Seems like what I pay could be significantly different from another driver of different age, vehicle, and driving record. Regardless, I pay $68/month. Which is by far the cheapest rate I have ever had.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PhotoShop abuse reported.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #37
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Here is an interesting article I just found on it.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/money/co...scount-program
That article makes no sense.
Discounts are typically 10-15%
Discounts may be as much as 30%.
In that discount, and not itemized, is the fee for having the device.

Okay....

I don't have it and I pay $2,000 a year.
My neighbor has it and he pays $1500 a year.

What the fuck? Is the author of the article trying to say that my neighbor SHOULD only be paying $1300 and there should be a $200 fee itemized on his bill?
That's not a hidden fee... it's still a discount as long as everyone who has the device pays less than everyone who doesn't.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #38
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Meh....

Not that hot.

Now...

The on-screen gal I'd like to spend an evening with....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...01&fr2=piv-web

Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
I have it in my truck.
It monitors how fast you go, how hard you break, and how far of trips.
I am sitting at 30% discount right now. Any time I go anywhere far I just unplug it. Simple. For you "big brother" derps, who cares if big brother tracks you going to work? also, if an accident was to happen or ticket, it actually can help you get your specs and if you are innocent help provide proof.
here is some copy pasta

Quote:
Legend:

High risk driving time = Total time driven between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m.
Miles driven = Average distance of trips taken
Hard brakes = Decrease in speed of 7 mph per second or greater
Quote:
Snapshot focuses on how, how far, and when you drive, NOT where you drive. The Snapshot device does not contain GPS technology and does not track vehicle location or whether youíre exceeding the speed limit. We also donít know who is driving the car in which the device is plugged in.
I like saving 250$/6months cause of it.

Somewhere it says something similar to if you have a high pattern of disconnects or something it may change your discount.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Another update:
It would be cool to know the rate, but the way insurance is, it's impossible to compare across state lines, and even within the same state in some cases.

Progressive and Geico were both HORRIBLE for my motorcycle insurance... $3000 for the same policy that cost me $700 with Auto Club.

Now that I've dropped collision and comp on the bike, it's just liability on the bike, plus full coverage on the '04 Rav4 and '08 Taco... $2000 for the year.

Products Discussed in this Thread